1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sparano on why Wake is not playing

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Sep 23, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I normally agree with HC Sparano, but on this I believe he is off base, basically what he is saying is that it is better to have no sacks and a better part time run defender and ST player.

A sack is worth 2 pts, a part time run defender maybe makes 2 tackles a game, and one mediocre link on ST does not break the chain, there are ten other guys covering the kicks...

2. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    It would be nice to have all 3 of them in the 4th quarter. So who do you deactivate?

3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    well it means that wake needs to pick up some special teams skills because i think the run part of his game is alwasy going to be weak. if we continue to need sacks i think you'll see him eventually get in

FinSane likes this.
  4. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I don't see Wake ever taking the field unless someone gets hurt....for exactly the reasons Sparano mentioned.

FinSane likes this.
  5. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    If that's the case then I'm fine with it until Wake proves himself capable to be put into the game. Right now it seems like he only can come in on obvious passing downs which is only a handful of plays a game. Right now the special teams are improving and I'd rather not break that up. If I'm Wake, I see this as motivation to get better on those two things.

FinSane likes this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The Wonder Twins of course:

[​IMG]

Or is that "activate" and not deactivate??

Either way, Sparano has said himself Wake is here to rush the passer, if that is not good enough then they should probably look to trade him before the deadline.

He's been in Miami for 9 months now, if he hasn't mastered ST play, he more than likely never will...so why waste our time and his?

USArmyFinFan, gunn34 and jetssuck like this.
  7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Ya, it's much more important to keep Pat White active and forcing him out there to do absolutely nothing.

Maybe I'm wrong and Pat White plays special teams.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Zzziinnnnnggg

With PW though, even if the Offensive Coordinators favorite toy was inactive, that would only mean Henne would take his slot, a net sum game as it were.

TheAnswer385 likes this.
  9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    We would still have to have Henne active even if he was listed as the emergency QB?

I think it's just the fact that I have to watch White struggle out there for a few plays a game while our D gets ripped that bothers me the most. It's like "Heyyy, remember how you passed on all those LBs? Well even though you just got torched bc your MLBs suck, here's Pat White with a 1 yard scramble. Yesss."

gunn34 likes this.
  10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because a Qb can leave with a minor injury, if you break the glass on the emergency Qb because Penny had the wind knocked out of him you'd sort of be SOL.

11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    At this point I don't even know how much that'd hurt us.

If we were playing a team that we can run over like Indy, I honestly don't think Penny or Henne would make a huge difference.

I guess we won't really know until it happens though.

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Alright via Sparano's presser:

1. Special Teams, get to a point ST wise that he knows what he is doing, we will get him there and he is close to that point.

2. Wake has been splittin reps every week with the starters

3. JT is doing things faster learning the position than Wake has been.

4. Getting better at passrushing

5. Going on what he saw in preseason, he had a sack a game and I have to believe he will do that in the games, but can he do that against better competition?

So it sounds like Sparano is working Cameron hard to try and get him up to speed, if he were Porter's backup he could be on the field faster.

So the tweet did not tell the whole story...Sparano is a maniac when it comes to rep counts so if Wake is still in the mix clearly they like what he offers but they don't really think he is up to speed at the strongside.

Tone_E, gunn34, FinSane and 2 others like this.
  13. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    How many sacks did Wake have in the preseason?

14. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I think Cam Wake needs to hit the books. It sounds to me like Sparano is saying that Wake is too raw.

15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Unofficially, 2.

Officially 0

Bouman and McCown were sacked, they were not called sacks, McCown was halfway on the ground.

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Courtesy of the PbP:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2009/09/23/0923dolphinsnotes.html

17. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    He's really only been at this position for 6 months. I think it will still be a few weeks before we see him activated. Really depends on what happens with injuries.

But I also think a lot of this is hindsight. Sure, on Tuesday morning we could say Wake should have been active, but Monday morning nobody was worried about our pass rush. Our pass rush looked good all year up until Monday night.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  18. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    You can never have too many good pass rushers. Ask the Giants.

Especially when playing a team like the Colts when everyone on Earth knows that they are a pass first team.
    Get the pass rushers on the field, play the run on the way to the QB.

19. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Easy......Crowder. He wouldn't have a great view like he does now, but he would be just as effective on the sidelines.

Fin D and mi2cents like this.
  20. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    my only issue with wake is, who are you taking off the field on those definite passing downs? your gonna take out Porter or JT for Wake?

21. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008
    I don't see any reason you couldn't put all three of them out there...I think our 6 pass rushers in that situation would be:
    JT
    Porter
    Wake
    Langford
    Merling
    Starks

I think those guys could make a very strong pass rush force QB's to throw early or to bad spots.

22. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    your going to bring 6 every passing down????

you cant do that... first off youd have to have Wake play a MLB spot where he'd be completely out of place... if there were shifts or responsibilities now you have Wake trying to cover a TE or a RB, are you comfortable with that? we see how its worked out with Crowder or Ayodele, now you want Wake to do that?

hes gotta play OLB, the only way I can see it is if we go to a 4-3 on passing downs, put JT and Wake on the line as DE, and leave JP at an OLB spot where he could come on a blitz, or he could drop into coverage, but it would keep the QB guessing...

DePhinistr8 likes this.
  23. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008
    No I'm not saying every down, just those in which we know we have to generate quick pressure. There is no reason we can't like up JT and Wake on the same side or Porter and JT on the same side....that's up to the coaches to use their imagination...drop a lineman back into a zone if you have to...or drop a bunch back, mix it up.

Pittsburgh does this regularly...zone it out maybe, rush where the O isn't expecting it to come from, overload the left or right side and make them pass the other way.
    There's all sorts of things we can do to manipulate the other teams offense. It just seems to me that what we do now is rather bland and predictable.

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Here the 3-4 stumbles, we run base 3-4, the Giants run the 4-3, it is easier to learn to play DE than OLB, but Sparano/Ireland/Parcells are committed to the 3-4 even on passing downs they will run a 3 man dline.

Since Wake is behind JT on the learning curve, and since we don't typically use a 4 man line, there is no room for Wake.

DePhinistr8 likes this.
  25. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008
    Right, but it's not like JT doesn't know how to play on the end with a hand on the ground. He can be the 4th on the line in passing situations. He did it for 9 years. Let Porter and Wake move to the OLB's in those situations.

It seems like we have the personnel to do it, but we aren't.

Just like last year, they had to figure out a way to get Ricky and Ronnie involved at the same time, so viola, wildcat.

Why can't we be flexible on defense? We have the players to make it happen.

26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

We don't have OLB's in that situation, we have 3 or 4 men lines and defensive backs and Wake apparently is not polished enough to play OLB for us.

Which is why he could play DE, but we have to play a 4-3 to get him into the game and we don't run the 4-3...

Agree there, Wake is a good passrusher you find a way to get him into the game,.

I think the actual reason why Wake is not playing is because Sparano and DC P want to give JT and JP opportunities to get rolling, Wake cuts into their playing time at OLB.

DePhinistr8 likes this.
  27. DePhinistr8

Mar 24, 2008
    I get that, and I'm not suggesting we switch to the 4-3 on a full time basis, but in obvious passing situations I don't see any reason we couldn't do that. The best defense is a confused QB :up:

28. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    maybe you move JT inside ... maybe he can hang with a TE ... we have to find someone who can ... as that will eat us up all year long.

29. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    'Unofficially'?

Man, I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but as far as I can tell, 'unofficial sacks' don't mean anything. I'm guessing that what you're calling an 'unofficial sack' is just a 'QB hurry', where the QB releases the ball as he's being hit... and in no way, 'officially' or 'unofficially', can that remotely be considered a sack, IMHO.

Officially, the guy had ZERO sacks in the preseason, and I think that speaks volumes. Especially when you consider that he was going up against 2nd and 3rd stringers practically the entire time. That's not to say that the guy wouldn't get a handful (6-8) of sacks during a 16-game season, but you really have to wonder whether that warrants his activation, and the de-activation of another player who might help your team in more than one area. Wake looks, to me, like he's a one-trick pony at the moment. He has more to learn.

However, we'll probably see him at some point this season. He's an incredible athlete, and I'd love to see some actual production out of him. I think he's certainly capable of becoming a very good player... but, we'll just have to wait and see.

The bottom line for me is... I have no issue with him being inactive.

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Since when do sacks ever count in the preseason?

Sparano counted them as sacks, which is all that particularly matters.

Quick...name the leading rusher from the preseason...:lol:

31. Larry Little

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    When you're fighting for a job as a passrusher on a football team.

If that were true... which is isn't... then Sparano wouldn't know that if you tackle someone who isn't holding a football, then it's not actually a tackle.

:pity: