1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sparano Rookie Mini-Camp Press Conference

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, May 1, 2009.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

www.miamidolphins.com

Sparano's Comments

- threw a lot of info at the rookies to see how much they could absorb. Sparano felt good about the lack of mental errors and fumbles/drops today

- mainly wanted to see their movement, direction changes, backpedals, cuts, and athletic mechanics today

- watched their demeanor to see who stepped up

- Re: what he thought of Pat White. "Since the guy walked through the door here he's been outstanding in the meeting room... but more importantly out here on the field his command of the huddle, those types of things, are pretty good. He *is* thinking a million miles an hour. Quarterbacks have... [ a lot of learning they'll have to do]..... We're not gonna wait on 'em. We're gonna throw a whole lot more at 'em tomorrow so they need to go home and study more."

- Apparently White threw a bomb to Anthony Armstrong.

- Sparano says he's seen, on film, White throw the deep ball, some nice posts. "He's gonna be able to push it down the field."

- On Vontae: Physical, but more importantly he's smoth in his backpedal. In and out of breaks well. Moved feet well.

- On Sean Smith: Thing that jumps out at you is his size. More importantly he moves his feet tremendously well for a big guy. he's interesting when he gets the ball in his hands. He comes to life once he gets the ball. (Smith used to be a WR, would the Dolphins consider getting him some reps there I wonder? Sparano is 'feeling' Sean Smith when he gets the ball in his hands, after all.)

- Overall, watching WR and CB body poistion and stuff today.

- Sparano and Vontae have exchanged pleasantries, lol.... when VOntae knocked a guy down today, Sparano got on him about it apparently. TOny laughed about it in the P.C. "What I like is that they're competin'"

- Question: "What are your thoughts about having another QB in the mix here?" Tony raises his eyebrows as if surprised a bit. Pauses. "You mean with Pat?" lol.... again, I'm not sure how much they think of Pat White as a true QB versus a receiver/running wildcat qb. Little things like Sparano's non-immediate understanding of the question makes me wonder if THEY'VE even figured out what they want him to be yet! lol.

- "It's healthy to have another QB in the mix." He likes the amount of reps all three will get *CHads and White)

- On if any tryout guys jumped out at him. He said, without watching film he can;t single people out, but did like some of them.

- Re: protecting a Left handed QB - A left-handed QB's ball is a harder ball to catch as it comes at WRs a little different, diff spin. WRs will have to get used to that, he said. Also protections will have to be different.

- On Cam Wake: Sparano has been "anxious to see him". (hey, if SPARANO is that excited to finally see him than the inside opinion and expectations/hopes on this guy must be VERY high.) He saw a lot of explosion and fast twitch. Likes his first step get-off quickness but has a long way to go, according to Sparano.

- On Pat Turner: "Another guy in the mix." He highlighted his size making them hope he'd be a good third down and redzone player for them. Liked him today but too early to tell. Good hands, can run. Defining his role will come later.

- On if what they see of Cam Wake will impact whether they sign Jason Taylor: "Sure." "Jeff Bill and I have visited briefly on [JT} and we'll visit again on it." (You know, sounds low priority to me.)

- He wants to see Walden and Tearrius George pass rush too.

- WOW... Question: "WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE PAT WHITE AT ANY POSITION OTHER THAN QUARTERBACK OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF MONTHS?"
    Sparano's answer.: "NO."

- Pat White REALLY endeared himself to Sparano by telling reporters who asked him about his jammed finger to ask Coach any Q's about it. "See? I told you he was smart." said Sparano.

- Sparano has to work out who the #3 QB is because it affects who can go into the game. So, this seems to dispel the notion we had that White would be rostered as a WR and brought to the game as a WR instead of the QB.

- On how much Pat White needs to learn compared to henne... whether Pat will have to learn the Wildcat role plus normal offense: "Pat White's here to be a quarterback right now, okay? I got a guy who carried the ball pretty well in the Wildcat this year." We'll see how long this lasts. lol.

Idahophin, gafinfan, MrClean and 8 others like this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

:hammertime:

i'm ready i'm ready i'm ready i'm ready

gafinfan and Bpk like this.
  3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Sounds like a good day overall. Im excited already!

4. Bpk

Yeah, well camp doesn't tell us much.

Dudes like LoBook and Hagan always look set to electrify during camps.

But, with no real games going on this is all we have to talk about.

5. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Barry... that was pretty darned good, thanks.

:hi5:

Ronnie Bass and Bpk like this.
  6. Bpk

The quotes on Pat White amaze me. With all the RAGING debate over White's status as a QB versus something else, I cannot believe this board has been dead silent for over 12 hours about the Coach (who makes the decisions folks!!!) stating that he does not even want to work Pat White ANYWHERE other than QB for the next few MONTHS.

I always go straight to Coach Sparano's press conferences, because what he says goes, yet I am amazed how the majority of fans are much more content debating threads about the opinion of an ESPN analyst or a blog by Omar Kelly or some similar guy with third hand information.

What Coach Sparano thinks is tantamount to what happens with our beloved Miami Dolphins.

Is there really any person's opinion who matter more?

anlgp, gafinfan, cnc66 and 2 others like this.
  7. Bpk

I think we got two good secondary guys. Their talent and athletic gifts are awesome, from what I see.

Now it's all about their decision making.

8. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    How hilarious will it be if we don't even use White in the wildcat haha....

I guess hilarious wouldn't really be the word though :(

They are definitely just keeping everything under wraps though, and I love it :up:

Bpk likes this.
  9. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I just went through and watched the presser along with all the player interviews

I REALLY like the personalities of Pat White and Sean Smith already. Vontae was a little harder to read, but he said all the right things at least- All 3 certainly appeared well spoken and thoughtful, good traits to have as that would naturally correlate to better minds and hopefully better presence on the field.

I'm hoping they get an interview with Turner tomorrow- would like to hear him.

also, of all the players it seems like Sean Smith was the most nervous with the press, which I think gave off a humble vibe, which was nice to see. Though, he obviously harbors some very large ill-feelings towards the Pac-10 schools.

As far as Sparano's comments, I had forgotten how much I love to listen to this man talk football. No beating around the bush, he tells it like it is, and like BPK said, you know you are hearing the truth (or at least exactly what we're supposed to be hearing) when he talks. It'll be interesting what happens with the 3 QBs, because from the sound of it, Sparano does NOT want to activate 3 QBs on gameday. I think then we will be seeing White as QB2 and Henne holding the clipboard in case of emergency. And if Penny ever goes down in the first couple quarters we'll have to play sans-WildPat for the rest of the game (no worries, we still have Ronnie!).

I just hope the whole Henne as QB3 thing doesn't cause him to harbor ill feelings towards White. Then again, with Sparano already saying that Pat is here as a QB and QB alone, I suppose Henne should already feel the pressure.

Bpk likes this.
  10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    appears as though they will school WildCatPat in both offenses @ QB
    starting him from the get-go in the WildCat
    that's enough on any one's plate for a rookie season

things change: White will surely prolong & compliment the usefulness of Pennington

wonder what the preseason will look like @ QB?
    Henne must be taking gas with this new move
    could even wind up inactive during regular season games

Bpk likes this.
  11. inFINSible

inFINSible Bad ministrator

Nov 26, 2007
    If I'm Sparano, I'm doing everything I can to play down the notion that Pat White is going to be some sort of secret wildcat weapon ..........so that it might possibly remain a secret.

Bpk likes this.
  12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the WildCatPat is out of the bag! Forget about it.:yes:

Bpk likes this.