1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Special teams are killing us.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pauly, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    OK I know we came away with a win today and are doing well on the season overall. However, the fact that the Bills were still in the game mathematically until late in the fourth quarter really irritates me, and I put that down mainly to poor special teams play, specifically poor coverage on the kick return teams.

This is something that is going to cost us games, and arguably already has, and will prevent us going for a Cinderella run if we make the playoffs.

It just seems that opposing offenses are playing on a 80 yard field and we're playing on a 120 yard field. For me the area that it shows up in most is our TD to FG ratio. It's hard to sustain long drives in the NFL, and giving up free yardage in the return game makes a difference between whether your 60 yard drive ends up as a TD or a FG. The converse is also true and we're giving our opponent's more opportunities for scoring.

Having had my dummy spit, is there anything the coaching staff can do this late in the season to turn things around in the final stretch?

2. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I actually think they've played MUCH better the past 3-4 games.

The Bills are one of the league's best teams at returning kicks. They did pretty well outside of Carpenter's screw up on that one kickoff. I don't consider this anywhere near the abyss it was only a month ago.

The lack of a pass rush is what's going to kill this team. But you can't fix it all in one year.

In the end, it's hard for me to complain about anything considering where we are now and where we came from. :)

3. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Spot on with both points. If Anderson could step it up a notch or two that be a huge help. Like you said, can't be upset about where we are, considering where we came from. :yes:

4. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    we don't have the talent or depth to dominate any team. We've made a good start in the right direction but I agree with muck, our sp teams have made great strides from where they were 3-4 weeks ago.

The bills have had lots of success in changing momentum in several games, the fact our coverage has contained them all day is a very positive sign