1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speculation, is Roth semi holding out?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Aug 3, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This Sparano/Roth/Rosenhaus situation has my wheels turning.

Sparano says it is an "illness"

Rosenhaus claims it is a groin injury

Roth is not saying a word.

Roth is in his last yr of his rookie contract, he will get paid well as a FA, is it possible that Rosenhaus advised Roth that it is not in his interests to practice on his rookie deal?

FWIW, I really like Roth's transformation from DE to OLB, to me he is a needed ingredient on the Defense, but the NFL is a business after all.

2. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Armando, is that you?

miamiron, SICK, Zod and 2 others like this.
  3. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    I smell something brewing here. This actually works pretty well, as he may have possibly not felt well for the conditioning test AND he didn't lie on his health survey. Dirty tactics and Drew Rosenhaus I'll buy it.

4. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I don't think lying to the coaches would be the best way to get a new contract though. If he was lying because he didn't want to miss any practice time that's one thing. Doing to get more money is another.

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    HEY!!!

'Mando gets paid to think up dribble such as this, I'm a volunteer, there is a HUGE difference...:lol:

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Who said he lied? Sparano said Roth talked to him and "I took it that he had an illness".

Rosenhaus is sleazy, I would not put it past him to suggest such a thing PT.

7. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

tomaTO, taMAto

SCall13 and unluckyluciano like this.
  8. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I probably should of worded that different. I was just going off another poster who said he might not of been truthful.

padre31 likes this.
  9. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Is there any penalty Roth could face if he indeed does have a groin injury? (for lying on the health questionnaire)

10. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Armondo is all over twitter sayin Roth lied not once, but twice to Tony and that they will meet again tonight.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I wouldn't think so ascii, the team put him in the deep freeze of the PUP which is odd for a head cold or a minor groin tweak.

And I had no idea 'Mando was saying that on twitter, I just know the whole deal sounds hincky to me, confusing a groin with an "illness" (hmmm Rosenhaus Virus maybe?) is no small thing.

12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm thinking he was lying about his reoccurring injury to avoid problems with getting a new contract.

mullingan likes this.
  13. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    If he is, I don't know why he would be. He is entering a contract season. He can make much more money playing his *** of this year, then banking in next year.

14. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Sounds like Roth actually has the groin injury and is afraid that if he tellls Sparano that, he'll (Roth) lose his starting spot. I'm inclined to see it this way. No facts to back that up, JMHO.

Xeticus and dolphan117 like this.
  15. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

roth told sparano he was ill, sparano has said he believes roth.

rosen-house (?) is the one who is lying i think.

agents are down right dirty.

16. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    IMO he has nothing to worry about other than staying healthy of course. JT is not going to leap frog him and become our OLB on the strong side. JT is weak side only (and of course so is JP), ask the Skins how that worked.

I also thought of the contract side of it, but this is not the right way to go about getting a new contract Mr. Roth.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd really hate to see JT chained to the strongside linbacker position, not at his age and with his skill set.

To me, this situaiton is ripe for one of the unknowns, Moses, Walden, Wake, Folsom, Orion Martin, to step up and show they are indispensible because they can play the strong side well.

Which is an odd way to go about things "I'm lying about my health, give me a contract extension before the season starts?"

18. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    no he's not semi holding out

19. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I dont think Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland, and Tony Sparano are going to pay anybody that is holding out of training camp.

20. anlgp

Rothgate

We know the story on roth. Roth told sparano he was ill/sick. Rosenhaus tells him it's a groin.

Armando now tweets this:

now we all know that the "source" may or may not be reliable. and i heard with my own ears that sparano said he believes roth when he told him it was just sick (which could have just been posturing for the media).

my question is if it comes out to be true that roth did lie and signed off on his medical papers that he was fine do you even want him on the team or should we cut his ***?

IMO he'd be cut.

21. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Trade his azz to Arizona for Boldin:pointlol:

SICK and anlgp like this.
  22. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    It wouldn't be that easy. If it is true, you bring Roth into the office for a one on one, and get to the bottom of it. If this is a Drew thing, then you get him in the office with Jeff, and Tony, and you let him know this will not be tolerated. If they are interested in a new deal just say so, and don't lie about it.

mullingan and steveincolorado like this.
  23. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Let's take this with a grain of salt. Remember who wrote that tweet.

Puka-head likes this.
  24. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    tweetie bird?:shifty:

25. anlgp

yeah i know.

and i agree w/you john to a point. it's hard to just make an example out of someone who A) played decently in the recent past and B) would take a cap hit of but certainly this kind of distraction shouldn't be tolerated AT ALL and should be stopped immediately.

look at all the discussion it has had already which is far too much IMO

26. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    heres a guy who isnt afraid of hard work, sweat and pain. a guy who trains in mma for fun in the off-season. i need to hear the facts before i judge on this one. if the starks incident ended up being nothing, im not about to jump on roth...especially from a mondo tweet.

27. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    Roth was one of the two players that Tony had said had improved the most. We need him to play and to play well.

And if this is the worse we have to worry about, it is night and night compared to last year.

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  28. anlgp

agree with the bold part. i just like as little distractions as possible :up:

and while you may not remember me i remember you and it's good to see you posting again.

29. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    If Roth is willing to man up to it and take his commupins, then it should be put behind with a warning not to do it again

30. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    This is going to end very badly for Roth.

dolphan117 and padre31 like this.
  31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Probably, there is a chance Roth had to be tested for some dread disease like testicular cancer and did not want to broadcast the fact.

to be honest though, I really want to see what some of the unknowns can do DMike, imho "if" Ck was spot on about Orion Martin, who we worked at ILB, he could come out of this situation as Roth's replacement.

Eh, at the end of the day though, we went from 1-15 to 11-5, if this does boil down to a contract beef, it will be the second one (Vonnie H), which is not bad all thing considered.

32. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    These kind of actions makes me dislike Matt Roth if this comes out to be true that he is just looking for a new contrat. Matt Roth played good but he is not the best out there if he wants a new contract he needs to get out there and pratice and play hard. It almost seems he does not want to practice hard. It is a shame.The funny thing is that you see a 9 year vet in Chad Pennington praticing hard and trying to improve himself after a probowl and MVP type year. Now you have 4 year player coming off an ok year wanting a new contract.

I dont think we need to get rid of Matt Roth but we need to get this sorted out and have a talk with him and Drew.

33. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    This thought crossed my mind as well Padre but in the end I doubt thats what its about.

My guess is that Roth didn't disclose his injury/illness because he wanted to go out there and practice and get in the think of things.... Only to find that when it was time to go he couldn't.

What bothers me is that he told Tony it was an illness and now his agent is saying its the groin. Why would he do that? I mean sure, we all know his agent is a tool but why would he be saying his client has a groin injury if its not true? You never want to give a guy an injury history as its always an issue come contract time so why would Drew hurt his rep by saying he is hurt instead of saying its some kind of flue that anyone could get which would have no effect on Roths football value?

Makes me wonder if Roth was misleading with the team because he doesn't want to admit he has an injury in the hopes that if he rests a few days he can get back out there and just play through it for the rest of the season.

Tony says that prior to the conditioning test Roth signed a paper that all the guys have to sign saying that he had no injures and was not sick either way something is a little odd here.

34. anlgp

Drew needs to be kicked in the balls.

We can talk to Roth.

vt_dolfan likes this.
  35. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Roth may want out. Taylor may be starting over him and perhaps we have a youngster or two that he's worrying about too. Maybe he want's to force a trade?

Personally I hope its all miscommunication. I want him in Miami.

cnc66 and late again like this.
  36. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

it's twue, it's twue! :lol:

37. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

On first site, this seems to be a tomAto, toMAto thing (thanks cnc66), but the longer it goes on, the more intrigue there is. All the arguments regarding an apparent injury versus an illness can be read into whatever 'theory' you want to put behind it...it could be a ploy for contract reasons...isn't Roth in the 4 yr versus 6yr before FA is allowed thing without the CBA being re-upped ?? That could be motivation to get a contract done now instead of later ?? He apparently has had issues with this groin in the past...could Tony and co. be getting tired of the issue ?? Is JT that close to taking his starting role (even tho I don't think that's the best role for JT to have) ?? What motivation would there be for him to not tell Tony and the team the whole truth ?? Is this injury worse than we believe it to be ?? That, of course, would be the worst case scenario in this whole thing but what would Roth gain by fibbing about it ??

What's the truth ?? Probably somewhere in the middle, but now Roth is in the hot seat and has to 'fix' it himself...

38. AllianceCollect

AllianceCollect The Beautiful Mrs. AC....

Mar 25, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Florio suspects Padre may be right:

Fins Already Hiding Injuries

padre31 and Kanye West like this.
  39. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    To me, this just sounds like Sparano doesn't want other teams knowing Roth has a groin injury. Nothing more, nothing less.

40. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    This is not going to end up well for Matt Roth. I think he's just trying to conceal something and Drew Rosenhaus is helping him. They're spinning a hundred different things. I don't think it's a holdout--I can't see Matt Roth starting that precedent. I think it's something he's hiding, he told Drew--they didn't have their stories straight--Drew being the good agent he is continues to spin 101 different things including a contract issue.

We'll find out, but if Sparano doesn't--we know this...he isn't playing.
    And that will hurt our run defense.