1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPECULATION: Miami Herald to change angle in Dolphins news

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DOLFANMIKE, Dec 8, 2008.

1. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    "The McClatchy Co., burdened by debt and a steep slide in newspaper advertising, wants to sell one of its most prized properties, The Miami Herald, according to people briefed on the company's plans.

McClatchy, the nation's third-largest newspaper chain, has approached potential buyers for The Herald, said these people. But they said they knew of no serious offers for the paper, reflecting the evaporation of major investors' interest in buying newspapers."

McClatchy puts Miami Herald up for sale | HeraldTribune.com | Southwest Florida's Information Leader

Apparently the Herald is hurting bigtime and up for sale. Could this lead to a new owner wanting to increase sales by revamping his Sports writers? A strong Dolphins fanbase could provide a surge in sales and hits on the Herald web news. Part of the slump is no doubt a result of Dolfans being disgusted with Miami Dolphins coverage from some of the High Fivers over at the Herald.

It might prove to be a great time to have our voices heard over Dolphins coverage if new ownership takes over.

I bring this up because I have a strong opinion on some of the people writing in Miami. Here's an example of way back of what I'm talking about. Anyone remember this:

From DOLFANMIKE TO ARMONDO S.
    [​IMG]
    I was disappointed when I heard and he and Jason Cole high fiving each other when the Dolphins were knocked out of the playoffs during our Bills game (By Denver beating Indy).

I sent Armando this email, in which he explained his behavior. In it, I caught him in a lie. I do want to say that I don't think he is a bad guy, but he did something stupid and IMO he is now covering his a$$. Here is our exchange:

My first email to him -
    Armando,

I was disappointed to hear that you enjoyed the fact that the Dolphins were
    knocked out of the playoffs the day of our Bills game when Indy lost to
    Denver. It was in poor taste for you to be engaging in a "high five" with
    Cole. You have a unigue position in your line of work. Many of us "Dolfans"
    go to your place of employment as a source of our Dolphins news. While I
    don't mind reading critical insights about the Dolphins, and have heard over
    the years that you are a Raiders fan, if your attitude is that biased
    (hoping the Dolphins lose), I think that crosses the line. Frankly, seeing
    you behave this way makes me wonder why I or anyone else should bother to
    read your point of view. I'm disappointed it was you involved in this
    classless action.

D-Mike

His response -

Mike,

It is classless to accuse people of doing things without asking them about
    it first. First, I am not a Raiders fan so already your information is
    wrong. Also, I did not enjoy the Dolphins being knocked out of the playoffs.
    Cole and I were in a bar and when Clinton Portis, who is a former UM player,
    broke off a tackle-breaking run, I celebrated the run by high-fiving Cole. I
    attended UM, root for UM, and more importantly, am friends with Portis.
    That's what I was celebrating ... on my private time, no less. I hold no
    bias for or against the Dolphins. None. But I resent people like you
    accusing me of things without simply asking first.

Best,
    Armando Salguero

My response -

Armando,
    I appreciate the response. However, you should be aware that the weekend in question Portis did not play, and didnt break any runs. He was injured late in the game a week earlier and missed the Colts game (Same week we played Buffalo). Checking the NFL.com site you will see he had no stats that week. Thanks for your time.

D-Mike

Colts - Broncos Game Stat...No Portis carries

OK...Armando finally replied back to my response......

Here is what he had to say -
    HERE IS Armando's response.....this should be the last of it.

Mike,

"Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I root for him to do well and so I want his team to do well. I know he was injured because I talked to him on the cell that day. The run I refered to was by Anderson and obviously you believe I was talking about Portis. Sorry its so onvoluted but as you may understand, I'm answering these emails and doing a billion other things at the same time. Gotta go."

Be well,
    Armando

Well, all you have to do is look at his original reply to see he was clearly....talking about watching his friend Clinton Portis make a big run...thus the high five. Now the back tracking. I've formed my conclusions. I suppose this exchange is over.

Although its been good to see some positive reporting going on the past few weeks, its been far and few despite the fact that we have had a good season so far. The attitude of writers trying to make news instead of report news in Miami has to go away. I hope new ownership looks Dolphins coverage over and brings in a few new people to go with the few that are doing a good job.

FinSane, Themole, PMZQ and 5 others like this.
  2. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    ^5gate! Armando must cringe anytime someone mentions it in the "comments" section of his blog. LOL Seems like I commented "how 'bout a high five, Armando?" and it got deleted.

3. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I can SO see him and especially Cole doing that. Like I needed another reason to dislike those two.

PMZQ and DOLFANMIKE like this.
  4. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Rocky Mountain post out here in Colorado is also up for sale.

5. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Still don't see the big deal about the high five issue. What Armando does in his free time is none of my business and I couldn't care less about it. Thing is, he's a crappy, pompous sportswriter and so I don't read his stuff. For all I care, he could be a Jets fan as long as he wrote good pieces.

6. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Re: High-Five-Gate

Let it go, man. Let it go.

funkdat likes this.
  7. Furious Yellow

Furious Yellow Mixed-Up Zombie

Nov 25, 2007
    Where something is rotten
    I think i remember somebody at the time saying that the high 5 was because by getting knocked out of the playoffs there was a chance that wanny would be fired.. And that that's what they were celebrating..
    Don't know if it's true or not, and i don't really care either.
    I don't hate mando for some stupid thing he did years ago... I hate him because he is a terrible writer..

8. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Ehhh, Mike Wilbon works for The Washington Post but is a Bears fan. I'm sure he doesn't care much for the Skins.

Who cares?

9. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The High Five incident itself got blown out of proportion by Wayne. I think he got some of that bad intel from the CIA. :lol:

I talked to some of the other beat writers who were there and saw it. It was a sarcastic moment. But they, too, were puzzled at how Armando was handling Mike and the others' emails. Armando screwed up royally by not owning up and being truthful to Mike....repeatedly. Jason Cole saved himself by falling on the sword and apologizing.

OT: that thread was ready by everybody. It went all the way to the top. ;)

10. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

I agree, it was classless by Armando to invent some BS story but then again, having written for newspapers and magazines myself and answering to these kinds of e-mails, I can somehow relate to him. It is presumptous (no offense to Mike) to call a writer out for something he did in his free time with a friend, something that's nobody's business as long as it doesn't inflict his work (and I don't think not being a Dolphins fan does). He should've handled the issue in a more mature way nonetheless.

God, I've just defended Armando. Now I feel dirty :lol:

11. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Unfortunately most newspapers in the country are losing their circulation as more people get their news online and from other sources. The Rocky Mountain News in Denver is close to folding unless there is a buyer in the next month or so. Just like current economic conditions are affecting the Big Three automakers, newspapers and magazines are also going through tough times. When you have a product nobody wants to buy you cannot continue losing money and stick around. I try to get my Dolphin's news from a variety of sources, mainly online. I think Armando is trying to backpeddle.....I don't think you have to be a "homer" to be a sport's writer, but you should not let your personal feelings cloud your judgment. :yes:

steveincolorado likes this.
  12. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

As far as I know, the "personal feeling" in this case was Armando and Cole being happy about the possibility of Wannstedt getting the boot because Wanny didn't treat the press equally and gave access only to the guys he was close with and who wouldn't criticize him.

13. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    LOL. I think that is really, really funny!

Themole likes this.
  14. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    I agree 100%. I could care less who the writer is a fan of, but don't constantly aggitate the fanbase with negativity and make up nonsense and then celebrate when we are down. That was a dumb move personal time or not.

Themole likes this.
  15. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Armondo made a habit of being aggitative and negative. His open display was unprofessional and insulting to both the team and its fans. I Care!

Themole likes this.
  16. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    The day after I made that post, I realized what scarey people I associate with in Dolphinsville! :knucks:

I still cant believe the numbers on that thread...over 26,000 views and 383 replies, mentioned on news programs and live Sports Radio:yes:

I was glad I wasnt the only one that cared.

17. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Armando has done sufficient damage to himself already just by being such an incredibly poor sports writer, that any incident like this is relatively meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

In fact, Armando is such a bad writer I would just as soon he did cheer for some other team than the Dolphins.

PMZQ and funkdat like this.
  18. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Aahhh the memories....where does the time go...

It seems only like only yesterday we were 0-2 and starting at looking at the 2009 draft...where does the time go...

19. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Hey PR...

I believe IF he has not change his mind, Armando follows his Denver Broncos... He only follows the Fins because that is his sports beat here...

20. Themole

Themole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Palatka Fl.
    You only think it's clicking along now, wait till you hit 60! It's almost starting to get scary.:lol:

21. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I remember this back at FH...and Mike im glad you called out Armando on what a scumbag reporter he is. the hearld shouldve canned him long ago. we in the SOFLA area are tired of the negative reporters who either arent fans of the team or even objective when it comes to our team(always biased against the dolphins positive or negative). The armandos, the greg cotes, the greg stodas(now gone thankfully),the dave hydes, the lebatards, the ....

we have a lot of crappy reporters down here. there arent many left that are good that cover the dolphins...maybe Skolnick..harvey fiakolv(whos at least fair)..not much more..

i miss Alex Marvez.

*edit* im re-reading the thread now. memories...

DOLFANMIKE likes this.