1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speculators leave oil as regulation is contemplated:

Discussion in 'Economics and Financials' started by Agua, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/speculators-leave-crude-oil

This is ONE thing the Gov should get involved in. High fuel prices drive consumers into a shell and low prices do more to help individuals more than any of this "stimulus" BS.

2socks and MonstBlitz like this.
  2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    My only question is why is regulation only being contemplated? Strict regulations should be in place already.

2socks likes this.
  3. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Here's a big assumption, and likely wrong, BUT assuming GS, MS et al. aren't plying the energy dept / sec (yeah, bad assumption to start off with), they probably want to be very careful with what they do.

I'm going to relate the following ****-eyed understanding of the rationale behind allowing speculators in large droves in the first place. This could be absolutely wrong and I do not represent that it is correct in any facet, but my understanding was that at one time (when, early 80s?? not sure), there were greater limitations upon who could participate in the oil futures markets.

Prior to then, the oil market was a very thinly traded market and a coalition of producers such as OPEC were able to control the market very easily. As I understand, and again, who knows, but as I understand, the idea was to open it up to make the market far larger and deny producers the ability to so easily change the price of oil. I guess the idea is like the difference between throwing a 10# rock in a puddle and throwing it in a 10acre lake.

SO, if the above is one of the rationales behind allowing investment banks, hedge funds, et al into the futures market, it is something they've got to take into account when considering how to limit participation.

4. RTW

RTW New Member

May 15, 2009
    For what purpose?

5. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    So that I never have to pay $4 / gallon for gas again.

6. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Here's why.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKunHXtQYuo"]YouTube - The Price Of Oil[/ame]

DevilFin13, MonstBlitz and CrunchTime like this.
  7. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Seeing that video again makes my blood boil. :angry: But it sure does answer the question!

8. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    So should I jump into the speculation game and buy low?