1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spider-Man: Sony And Marvel Form ‘Partnership'

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Dol-Fan Dupree, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Ohio Fanatic, Fin D and Kingdom like this.
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Don't think you're getting trolled:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/10/8010259/marvel-moves-release-dates-because-spider-man

3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Great news. Obviously it would be better if Sony gave up all rights to the character but beggars can't be choosers. And I'm sure if they're smart they will take a big step back and like Marvel Studios do all of the heavy lifting and work.

I think it's for the best that the series is rebooted as the Andrew Garfield series had a lot of issues but please not another origin story. We know it all too well and don't need 3 origin stories in under 15 years.

Wonder if Spider-man's first Marvel appearance will be in Capt 3 in a small cameo.

Also wonder if this opens the door for X-Men and Fantastic Four to "come home" too.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    This!

5. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Unfortunately, FOX has not been receptive at all to working with Marvel and is quite content ruining Fantastic Four with this abomination they're putting out there, beating Wolverine to literal death (seriously, Marvel killed him in the comics in part as a backlash to Fox), etc.

And I think during the discussions Marvel already said that they don't want another origin story. People know the story.

I imagine that at the end of Ultron or Captain America 3, there will be a teaser where Cap or Black Widow gets shown a picture of Spiderman, some brief explanation of his exploits and a mission to recruit him.

6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
  7. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Civil War makes the most sense, especially if they want to go with the Spiderman unmasked part of it.

My only concern for Infinity Wars is that it's going to be stuffed with so many characters that it could be too much.

Beyond the original Avengers, I presume we'll have Spiderman, the Guardians of the Galaxy and Dr. strange.

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm hoping that after this next Fantastic Four movie tanks, they might be willing to sell it back to Marvel.

I'd probably bet that Marvel might rush to put a teaser in of Spiderman at the end of Avengers 2, would make sense especially with all the obvious positive buzz they are getting now.

9. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    You may be right. They don't even need to have the actor. Just put anybody in the suit and don't have him speak.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  10. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Exactly, or even CGI Spiderman swinging around the city. It's something they can possibly get done in time for May. Or in the very least like you said just have a picture of him or maybe show a random no name bad guy caught in a web. Just something to hint that Spiderman is around and part of the MCU.

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    ..or just a web being shot.

12. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    "Fanboys" already did that last night and this morning....

13. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    If the two studios can really make this work, there could be some incredible ideas.

Maybe the Guardians of the Galaxy accidentally bring the alien symbiote to Earth during the Infinity War. That gets you Venom in an organic, not completely out of left field way, which could then lead to carnage which could be another cross-over.

14. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    How about an actual 16-17 year old actor playing him, that would be interesting. Bring back J Jonah Jamison! I hope fantastic four follows one day. I want to see The Thing playing poker with the hulk. And would be ecstatic to see Dr. doom in the hands of Marvel!

15. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    JK Simmons is the only actor from any previous Spiderman movie who should be welcomed back

Unlucky 13 and PhinsRDbest like this.
  16. PhinsRDbest

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Something's tells me dc will retaliate with some news soon. Maybe the Batman v. Sup trailer or maybe a green lantern casting

17. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I didn't actually have any issues with Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Denis Leary, Sally Field, or Martin Sheen. I thought for the most part the acting was fine in the reboot, it was the writing that stunk. But yeah if they're doing a soft reboot you have to start over by casting new actors for every part.

I'd actually agree and like to see an actual teenager play the part of Peter Parker since we've never really seen Peter in that age/time of his life, plus it would be interesting to see a teenage Spiderman interact with adult Avengers.

18. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    BvS trailer is well overdue, most people think it's coming in March.

19. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Garfield and Stone had good chemistry together, which makes sense, but I didn't think either was that great in the role itself.

Everybody else was fine, sure. But those just weren't great movies. They tweaking of the origin story for no reason was ridiculous, and the villains in ASM2 were horrible. Marc Webb, while a talented guy, was just a terrible choice for those films.

I doubt they'll cast an actual teenager. That just doesn't happen very often.

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I thought Stone flat out nailed her part and I enjoyed Garfield but yeah they weren't great movies. And I disliked them switching up the origin story mainly because it just didn't really add anything to the movies and seemed like time fillers.

Maybe not cast an actual teenager but have Peter be a teenager for awhile instead of 1 movie then in sequels he's grown up or in his college years.

21. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Stone was good, she usually is. And she's gotten better at dialing down her normal goofball persona to do these roles, but Gwen Stacy just isn't interesting other than the way she died.

Mary Jane is a far more compelling love interest, if you even need one at all, which is why she's lasted 35 years or whatever.

But yeah, Peter in high school with high school problems would be fine. I don't mind a college guy or struggling young adult either, but nobody's gotten the home life quite right yet.

The one thing that ASM almost got right, which the Raimi versions never did, is showing that Peter Parker actually enjoys being Spiderman. Yes it's a burden and a responsibility but Peter Parker has rarely been morose about it like so many other super heroes. That's something I hope we see in the new movies and I think we will since the MCU is more fun loving than the Fox movies or the previous Spiderman's

22. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I agree about Marvel showing Spiderman having fun being Spiderman. At times, you're right, ASM series showed that but also tried to be dark ala The Dark Knight Trilogy, which I always thought would be a mistake, and fell flat.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I am hoping they bring back the idea that the reason Peter Parker talks to his opponents is to hide the fact that he is scared.

Plus I would love to see more of his talking frustrate his opponent.

Those were always two aspects I really liked about Spider-Man growing up. The idea that he is scared out of his mind, but does it anyway because it is the right thing to do.

Myself, I would like the main story have nothing to do with saving the entire city or the world. Show them how being Spider-Man, despite the right thing to do, really messes up his personal life. The Spider-villains are a hindrance. IMO, one of the mistake of most Spider-Man movies is trying to Batman up the Spider-villains.

I also think it would be cool if Spider-Man becomes part of Infinity War and gets his black suit from space. Then do a slower build up to Venom.

I am not the biggest fan of Carnage.

Another thing that gets me excited is this opens up Jessica Drew for the Avengers. Also, if they get a smaller actor, Norman Osborne could be a recurring villain in Marvel Agents of SHIELD. maybe even him trying to form the Dark Avengers.

It also opens up the Kingpin being a Spider-man villain or a Daredevil/Spider-Man crossover. I LOVE Daredevil and Spider-Man crossovers in the comics.

Ohio Fanatic and Ray Finkle like this.
  24. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Spiderman doesn't have a great rogue's gallery. Most of them are kind of silly. Though it would be a nice touch to express that many of the villains start out as Peter's friends/mentors/father figures, yet they all turn.

There's some talk that Spidey might make his first appearance in Dr. Strange, the thinking being that movie needs a bit of a kick, given Dr. Strange's far lower profile. And with a bunch of lesser known properties dominating the slate (Ant-man, Strange, black Panther, Cap. Marvel, etc.) I get that.

But Guardians succeeded because it worked as a movie whether you knew the characters or not. If that movie didn't have Marvel in front of it, it still would've been a successful movie.

The other titles need to stand on their own as well.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    This is actually not very true or maybe true in the newer comics.

Most of Spider-man's villians are random dudes.

Vulcan, Alexander Smythe(who really should be in a movie), Scorpion, Shocker, Rhino, The Enforcers(what was Stan Lee smoking thinking these would be good Spider-Man Villians), Doctor Octopus, Sandman, Hydro-Man, Kingpin(started as a Spider-man villain), Electro, Carnage, Beetle, Kraven the Hunter, Mysterio(he should be the next villain), Morbius(he was friends in the cartoon), Puma and Taratula all have pretty much nothing to do with Peter Parker.

Which is one of the reason why the Green Goblin, 2nd Green Goblin, and the Lizard were so special of a villains for him. It was against the norm of some random dude getting super powers or trying to take Spider-Man down. However even the Green Goblin was just a male witch at first.

Also, I have to mention Venom because everyone loves him. He was a rival of Peter's I believe.

I really like Spider-Man's rogue gallery, however I always liked the randomness of them. They were mostly science experiments that gone wrong, however people who chose a different path.

It is my personal opinion that they shouldn't make them friend's, mentors or father figures. One of the thing I always liked about Spider-Man is that random crappy stuff happens and he deals with it. There isn't a need of a bigger purpose. It also made it more touching when it did, like the first Lizard comic.

26. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    that would be excellent

27. PhinsRDbest

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Variety is saying Logan Lerman and Dylan O'Brien are on the list. I think Thomas Brodie-Sangster from Mazerunner would be interesting.