1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz: Concerns Raised About Philbin, Dolphins' Coaching Staff

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cdz12250, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Remember when we wouldn't be able to get a top OC candidate because of our situation? Remember how no one wanted that job?

Remember when we signed the best OC candidate out there? The big up and coming name?

I'm not saying La Canfora is lying, but how quickly some seem to forget how awful and blatantly wrong the media has been.

MAFishFan likes this.
  2. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Stop it. Stop making sense.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  3. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Where exactly did you see a promise? I'm guessing that you're the adolescent in the photo, so that would make more sense and given that, have a nice Sunday. And yes, you are on ignore, I viewed the post. Your comments are predictable, just so you know.

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Why does that concern you?

5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    What does Miami hiring an offensive coordinator have to do with GM applicants being concerned about being left in the dark? I don't remember LaCanfora writing an article about the OC position to know whether he was wrong or write about anything there. Maybe I missed it.

mroz likes this.
  6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Why shouldn't they be left in the dark?

mroz likes this.
  7. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    You mean only when the sources paint the team in a negative light?

8. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I for one am completely shocked.

9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Neither but rest assured you warrant the least amount of my creative effort.

I'll put you on ignore though to save any future milliseconds of my life that'd be wasted in another response.

If anything, others will be happy to see a few less posts that struggle to use the reply w quote option.

10. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

11. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    In fairness to Philbin, I keep going back to the end of the preseason and the shape the offensive line was obviously in, so as to figure out who gets the blame for the egregious lack of talent with which we went into the season there. I don't think it was Philbin who made the decision to go with what we had.

Remember Vonta Leach? He would have made a difference with pass blocking, run blocking and blitz pickups. Remember the comment that Philbin made, that he wanted the deal done by the following Tuesday? Obviously, it didn't get done, but Philbin understood why we needed him.

The guy who didn't get it done has been fired. Philbin may be an inexperienced head coach, but it didn't take a Lombardi to see the garbage we had up front. That's why we kept moving players in and out of the starting spots and kept bringing in free agents as opening day got closer. Philbin knew.

You can coach people all day and still get the result we got if they just don't have the ability. When the coach empties the bench in preseason and finds no legitimate starters, the fault is with the GM.

DPlus47 likes this.
  12. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Seriously? The point is that the media has proven they are wrong quite often. Whether it's GM, OC or the water boy doesn't matter.

13. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Fantastic, thank you. I'm struggling to recall a single post from you that has been illuminating or of any substantive value, so the prospect of not hearing from you ever again is all good.

14. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I can kind of agree with this, but imo a big difference here is that this is a Barry Jackson article, and he is the best down here. it was a rarity for me, but I thought that the Armando articles about the FO inner dysfuction were informative and interesting. Still, you have to consider the source. Barry Jackson- different story.

Here's an Armando ripple effect example- I was going to post his in a new thread but thought better of it:

Could the Eagles trade for Dolphins DE/OLB Dion Jordan?

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports..._DE_OLB_Dion_Jordan_.html#M1Bu8qhLE7uZRmAj.99

Or:

2014 NFL Draft: Dion Jordan to the Eagles for a first-round pick?

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald threw some speculation out on Thursday, saying he could see the Eagles looking into acquiring defensive end Dion Jordan from the Miami Dolphins.

Now, Salguero clearly stated it was just an idea -- and not a report. As to why the Eagles would make the move, Salguero cited assistant general manager Tom Gamble's love for Jordan, as well as the fact that Jordan played for Chip Kelly at Oregon.

As to what the Eagles could give up for Jordan, Salguero said the Eagles' first-round pick (No. 22 overall) might do the trick.

Salguero said he doesn't know if Miami would be interested -- and that he wouldn't like the deal -- but with a new general manager, anything is possible.

While it is just an idea, it certainly is a fun one to think about. Here is why the Eagles would and wouldn't make trade the No. 22 overall pick for Dion Jordan:

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/...agles_speculation_begins_it_could_happen.html

------------

That's just pure Armando, and one of many examples of why he's not in Barry Jackson's class as a sports writer. Jackson is the real deal.

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    The thing is, a good coach will adjust their game-plans to play to the strengths of their players.

With Philbin I feel like we got plenty of the opposite.

16. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    A stripper.

Fin D likes this.
  17. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Wow...you have issues..seriously.Making no friends and no sense in every thread you join. Who is the adolescent? Commenting on people's avatars and sigs? The whole "enjoy your sunday" and Next stuff is very creative. I have read all your posts, and besides being anything but insightful, they are condecending and your replies are rude and juvenile. You should carry an ignore button around with you all the time

18. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I agree, I think most of our players improved in the 2nd year under the coaching staff. The lack of talent provided by Ireland was a huge issue, we just had big holes in our lineups that we could not overcome. The big question about the coaching staff to me is the lack of adjustments and the fact that they were routinely outcoached in the 2nd half of games. We never made significant adjustments at half time or during the game itself which is a bad sign for the coaching staff. Hopefully with some new faces on the staff we start to do that but I don't have an issue with the teaching aspect of the coaching staff.

19. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Enjoy your Sunday.

ToddPhin likes this.
  20. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    You do not disappoint...Sadly, the best response you have made in 5 yrs

21. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Uhhh, sure. I can't say that I recall a single post from you before today, so you rest firmly in the neither here nor there category. Oh, now I see, you've been here all of three months, so you're a bs artist as well. Good to know.

22. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agree that there were some areas where the coaching staff did well and other areas where they did poorly. Those pretending that it was all Ireland obviously have an agenda.

DPlus47 likes this.
  23. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    I Guess I was not allowed to read these posts before I joined. GOOD TO KNOW

24. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Well, if you were lurking in the shadows for all of those years, that's probably where you belong. Neither here nor there, figures.

25. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    Not lurking...Just was working. Now retired, have time to join. But thats neither here nor there...figures..more lame answers...Lurking in the shadows lol

26. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    We signed Gary Kubiak?

27. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Whatever dude, enjoy your retirement. A mutual placement on the ignored list is usually the best remedy so consider yourself ignored, with pleasure.

28. I hate to say this but I have been disappointed with Philbin so far. I get the argument being made that the roster isn't exactly bursting with star power talent. These guys however are good enough to make it to the NFL and IMO Philbin has has been getting underperformance from his players. His staff also lacks creativity in game planning and in-game adjustments. Philbins team plays flat and he is responsible for that. He is not making the most of what he has to work with.

ToddPhin and BicketyBam like this.
  29. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thus far, I think the things the staff have done poorly are far more in number AND importance than the things they've done well...or...better than average. A small part of me thinks Philbin and his staff can correct some of the bigger deficiencies, for example, the O-line. They did so by improving the increased amount of turnovers from 2012 to 2013. But I think there are so many smaller things that either go overlooked or uncorrected - blocking scheme, run fits, LB play, play-calling/game management, etc. - that it mitigates the one major problem being corrected.

Throw in the he said, she said quibbling between Philbin/Aponte and Ireland and the whole thing just leaves you with a queasy feeling like you're walking the plank forward into 2014, especially if you compound that with what players have come out and said either through agents (or strippers) and other sources.

30. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

FFS will there ever be a thread not full of jim1 calling people names and attacking them?

Dude...wtf? Get that much out of being a cyber-badass?

31. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Cyber badass? That's funny. If anything tired of being called sexist since I don't like Aponte, and other than that just one of those days. That's funny hearing it from you anyway, because if I recall correctly you're quite the smarta**.

32. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

The only difference between an agenda and an opinion, is that by you calling it an 'agenda' you make it sound somehow inherently evil and wrong.

DPlus47, 2socks and ToddPhin like this.
  33. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Also, I want to see us crush inferior opponents.

PFF (or was it Football Outsiders?) on their Basics page mentioned that great teams don't necessarily win that many more close games than merely decent teams, but that where the difference DOES show is that great teams usually blow out inferior opponents.

Like the Saints did to us.

34. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    Phinfan 1968, maybe it will be your lucky day and he will put you on the long growing list of ignores..even luckier he will do "with pleasure!" big loss

35. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Well, the 'with pleasure" to you was somewhat of a courtesy, given how inconsequential you are. I don't recall ever reading a post from you before today, so if "whatever' floats your boat, all the better. Its' more appropriate anyway.

36. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Yeah. Because it's always nice to have quitters and a molester on the roster.

37. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    Dude...go get a drink...take a walk..or sleep it off. You have been an *** all day on here. We all have bad days. Stop talking down to people like you're so high and mighty. Wevall are entitled to differing opinions...how about just treating people with some respect

38. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I think that you know what you can do, Mr. NYPhinfan. And do it slowly.

39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Alternate Theory Warning: Proceed reading my post with caution...

Walsh was a coach whose system adapted to any opponent. Belichick is a coach whose "system" can adapt to any player on his team (I put "system" in quotes because adapting to any player you have, by logic, is the opposite of a system.). Shula was a coach who could do both. Walshs are rare, Belichicks are rarer, Shulas are the rarest.

Philbin is in the Walsh category (I am not comparing their success rates just their philosophy of adapting to your opponent and not players.) We all want another Shula and barring that then a Belichick of our own. The odds are against that, so what do we have in Philbin? I dunno, but I tend to think our issue was:

Wrong talent. I did want Ireland fired but I don't think the bulk of the players he brought in were crap. I just think they were the wrong players for Philbin and his system. (The system works btw, it worked just fine in GB which has been less successful since he left.) The difference is the level of talent on offense. the lines are different, the backs are different and the receivers are different. Philbin, I think, is like a carpenter, in that he can build anything but he needs the right tools. However, without the right tools even the simplest tasks become impossible. You can be the best carpenter ever and you can be tasked with the easiest job in the world for a carpenter which is to hammer some nails. You could struggle at that task if you don't have a hammer and all you have is a couple of screwdrivers. On the other hand, what if you still have just screwdrivers, but this time the task is to assemble furniture which is infinitely more complicated than hammering a nail?

Maybe, just maybe, Philbin didn't have the tools to defeat the Bills but had those tools to defeat the Pats. Basically he couldn't hammer a nail (the Bills) with the screwdrivers he was given, but those screwdrivers sure came in handy for assembling that furniture (the Pats).

I'd like to reiterate that this is just an alternate theory before the usual suspects start their hate parade.

40. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Were you intending to reply to a different post?