1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz: Concerns Raised About Philbin, Dolphins' Coaching Staff

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cdz12250, Jan 19, 2014.

1. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I see what you're saying, but I wouldn't want to bet on any of these guys currently on the roster. An experienced pro might have at least done a decent job blocking. These backs couldn't run or block, for the most part, and even with a terrible line, someone should have been able to do at least one of these things well on occasion. Daniel Thomas deserves a medal for his effort against Pittsburgh with the injury, but I'm still not sure he's good enough.

2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I had to click on view this post just to mention how silly it is. Philbin, the outstanding leader of men he is, couldn't handle his own goddam team which led to this crap getting out of hand in the first place, and b/c he didn't have a finger on the locker room's pulse nor control over the situation to prevent it from happening, his only solution to his snafu was to get rid of Cogs. A quality head coach would've had a better pulse on his team, as well as nipped this in the bud long before it could evolve into the giant cluster**** it became. Now I'm sure you'll try to twist this into somehow being about a Mike Wallace agenda, but alas you'll be wrong again.

2socks likes this.
  3. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I am not ignorant to that fact. But jettisoning what you got to work with and leaving the line in shambles is as close to being a traitor as possible.

Off with his head!!!

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its good to know you just decided to go full on guano.

Philbin wanted Cogs gone because of the golf tournament thing. Ireland refused. Philbin wanted a replacement for Martin after last season, Ireland refused. I know in Todd land Ireland never did anything wrong, but those two things are not Philbin's error.

5. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I think Miller graded out pretty well for blocking, so you may be wrong there. And 4ypc behind that line?

6. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's why I find his level of nepotism and allegiance to it appalling. I mean c'mon- hiring your offensive coordinator's, I mean your friend's Son in Law to develop a 1st round pick into a franchise QB despite no legitimate experience, instead of hiring a qualified individual with a respectable history of developing QBs? Screw that. I'd want him fired for that alone. Seriously, how is that operating in the best interest of the organization?.... and furthermore how can you trust a person acting in that manner?

Here's another fun one:
    Ken O'Keefe, our WR coach, was with Philbin at Iowa 10 year ago where he was the OC and Philbin was his OL coach. It looks like O'Keefe was involved with bringing Philbin aboard at Iowa after their history of working together at Allegheny about ten years prior. Fast forward to 2012 with Philbin now having a position of greater authority and what does he do, he rewards his old friend by giving him his first gig in the NFL even though the last time the 60 year old O'Keefe had anything to do with receivers was when he was one 39 years ago at little old John Carroll University.

....yet somehow when anonymous sources criticize the coaching staff and point out how they didn't learn anything from their position coach and question O’Keefe’s acumen for the job, it can only be a bunch of bologna. :001_rolleyes: What more do people need? How much excuse-making can they do before accepting water is wet?

7. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Lack of respect from the players for Philbin and his staff isn't the only issue...there's also a lack of trust:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/20/trust-is-also-an-issue-for-dolphins-coaching-staff/

8. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    I know politics played more into the offense not showing up in the last two games than it should have. After the NE win, the team looked completely different the following weeks.

9. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
  10. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    If accounting for the O-line makes Lamar look impressive, then Tannehill looks amazing, IMO.

You're right about the grades for blocking. I'm only remembering the missed blocks and not as many of the executed blocks.
    Here they have him at 7th:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...e-stats-pass-blocking-efficiency-rbs-and-tes/

I hope he has a good year next year, but I'm also hoping the front office doesn't just assume that will happen. It seems that there were a lot of incorrect assumptions about personnel last year, and the team can't afford to make more mistakes this offseason.

11. The world would be a darker place without Linda Lovelace

ToddPhin likes this.
  12. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    As the article said theres logical reasons for all of them.

Bess, as we've found out, obviously had his problems. Makes sense why hes not here.
    Jake long, i certainly think there was a strong effort to keep him, but we didn't get down on our knees and beg. In the end the oft-injured former all-pro got the payday he was looking for. And the rams got his annual season ending injury too. (3 straight years!)
    Reggie Bush. We didn't upgrade at RB at all so I won't defend losing Reggie, but to me he did exactly what he always did for us to the lions. One or two big plays and then a whole lotta nothing each game.
    Karlos? Dude showed up 25 lbs over weight one year. how in the hell is that leadership?

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I challenge anyone to go into this article and find me a single quote from this supposed source......

There weren't any. Why is that? Why is there no quotes from this anonymous source? If you're not quoting then you're speculating, inferring or lying.

Also, why did he choose to call the source a "league source"? Why not a team source? Why not a source close to the players? You guys think this is just semantics, but in journalism it is not...it is calculated and if you guys are going to spend your time panicking over this kind of stuff then it might behoove you to read the signs.

14. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    At some point you have to either trust the writer of the article or you don't. I can understand hesitation to trust Armando, but a Barry Jackson article is a different ball game, and he's probably the best and most thorough sports writer and researcher in south Florida.

ToddPhin likes this.
  15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    You guys waste so much time trying to disprove bull**** to people that have zero interest in entertaining those ideas.

Fin D likes this.
  16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If you bothered reading who I quoted, you'd know I was talking about a LaConfra article.

17. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Well, I did click on to the link of the story in the post from lbsfinest that you responded to, which in turn had a link to the original piece by Barry Jackson, the same writer that the original post refers to.

18. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Joe Philbin is a terrible coach. He's the second worst coach in franchise history and it's an absolute embarrassment that he sits in the same office that Shula once did.

2socks likes this.
  19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    It also had a link to an Omar Kelly article. What's your point?

I've already told you the Jackson article is probably quoting an agent. That doesn't mean Jackson is lying, it just means that source is dubious.

That would also mean the quoted article does not posses new info or a new instance of players questioning Philbin, its still only one instance, that we've already read using info from a dubious source (Cantor).

20. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Since that is your stance, I've never been more convinced he's not the problem.

21. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Of course you would like a guy who has the personality and leadership skills of a telephone pole, a man who assembled a terrible coaching staff put together by nepotism.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How is it that Ireland was terrible and Philbin and his staff were terrible but the team is mediocre but was close to the playoffs?

Steve-Mo likes this.
  23. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Why do you bother? You could spend this time making me "feel better" after a long day of work.

Fin D likes this.
  24. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Whoever you think the source is is neither here nor there, just your opinion. Again, it's a Barry Jackson article, that counts for something as opposed to your idle speculation from afar as to whether the source is "dubious" or not. Your opinion is and always will be far more dubious than anything regarding Jackson when it comes to the Dolphins.

So at the end of the day it comes down to the same thing- you can take the article at face value or you can leave it. Doesn't matter much either way.

ToddPhin and Serpico Jones like this.
  25. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I would say average. They're both average. Average gets you into the playoffs some years. Some years you're 6-10. Another year, after a lucky bounce you're 7-9 and make the playoffs. But in the NFL, average is not good enough. In your opinion was it Philbin's offensive genius and game planning that got the most out of this crew? Did he do anything to catch your eye? If so, what was it.

cdz12250 likes this.
  26. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
  27. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.
    I have a feeling we will have an interm head coach b4 the end of next season, then Ross hires Kubiak

28. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    He was 5-1 on challenges. Genius!!

29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think Philbin needs a full tool kit to implement his system. I think it takes screwdrivers to beat the Pats and hammers to beat the Bills and Philbin's tool kit only had players who are screwdrivers.

30. I'm not getting into the pointless debate over Ireland and Philbins job performance but saying the team was anything more then average respective to the rest of the league is a bit much. Miami finished as the 10th best team in the the AFC and 16th best overall. That is a mediocre record.

31. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    This has nothing to do with Jackson.

If he quotes someone, like an agent, that is newsworthy and he's doing his job. That, however, doesn't mean the source is telling the truth or giving unbiased opinion.

I am not attacking Barry Jackson at all.

32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Where did I say this team was anything more than mediocre? In fact, I said specifically this team was mediocre. Sigh.

33. I was not disagreeing with about the teams performance

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Fair enough, then I misunderstood the point of your post.