1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz - DBs are a top priority in upcoming draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Mar 24, 2013.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007

The blurb goes on to layout some other DB possibilities and sleepers in the draft.Its worth a read.:yes:

Sceeto, Fin-Omenal, Da 'Fins and 2 others like this.
  2. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    jdang307, poli33, DPlus47 and 2 others like this.
  3. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Koa Misi as the Mike. Interesting.

4. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    that link is not loading completely for me, will try later

edit: finally worked....i would say not one word about tavon austin, so everything works according to plan.....:shifty:

DPlus47 likes this.
  5. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Barry Jackson Sports Buzz 3/24/13

Though it might not necessarily be the best fit with Miami’s pick at No. 12, the Dolphins want to add defensive backs in next month’s NFL Draft and have begun quietly reaching out to several.

And here’s a sleeper alert: According to an Arkansas State source, the Dolphins have spent a lot of time with explosive under-the-radar safety/corner Don Jones – the Patriots also like him – and are summoning him to Davie to meet with team executives. Jones, a great athlete with good speed, could go in the mid-to-late rounds.

Miami prefers to add a skilled blocker to the Keller/Charles Clay/Michael Egnew troika, with Cincinnati mid-rounder Travis Kelce among those drawing Dolphins interest.

Philbin said the Dolphins studied every catch and drop by Mike Wallace the past two years and suggests people sell him short if they view him as just a deep threat.

the Dolphins internally have discussed the possibility of playing Koa Misi at middle linebacker, though Ellerbe still could end up there.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...heat-canes-marlins-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

6. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I really hope they don't have Koa Misi playing MLB; just don't see it working out. I'd prefer Ellerbe just play where he's familiar - same with Misi.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  7. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Don't be surprised if they move up to get milner.

8. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I wonder if Manti Teo makes sense for us as a MLB

9. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I disagree.

10. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    With 11 picks in this draft and if they feel like he has revis like cover abilities why not?They got burned before by trading back and ending up with two average starters compared to a 1 stud named earl Thomas or jason pierre paul in 2010.We need some more stars on this team.Quanity isnt always better than quality.

11. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Interesting stuff.

ckparrothead and ssmiami like this.
  12. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Last year when we went to the 4-3 I suggested Misi as best suited for MLB, so I guess I'd like to see it. I've always considered him a poor man's Tedy Bruschi, who was also an undersized college DE that converted to ILB in the pros.

13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm not a fan of drafting Bernard..other backs more interesting to me..

Like that we've inquired about Porter, if his health checks out, which is a big if I know, he's 26 and solid.

Don't like the talk about just adding a blocking tight end to the mix, they must have real high hopes of Egnew..

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I thought the low offer on Cook was a good evaluation of the player..I wouldn't of brought him in myself, but I'm glad we didnt overpay for that dude.

15. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

And what is wrong with that? I mean they see him all the time… they know what they have better then anyone.

16. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

Yeah, not sure I see the potential there that others see

17. MrClean

I suggested in another thread that a traditional inline Y tight end would be a good complement to what we currently have at the position. Then my adopted kid talked me out of it, with the premise that Philbin may prefer athletic tight ends, because the Packers haven't had a true inline Y tight end since Donald Lee when Finley was a rookie. :)
    If we do want to draft a Y to go with the 3 Joker/H-Backs we already have, Keller, Clay, Egnew, there are a couple of courses of action we could follow IMO. Early in the draft, 2nd or 3rd, then Kelce makes sense, because he could play tight on the line and block or run pass routes from there, but he isn't limited to just that role. Later on, Dion Sims has the look of a decent Y. Around the 5th round, or maybe in the 7th, we could also perhaps draft Michael Williams of Bama, IMO the best blocking tight end in the draft. He is reminiscent of former Giant Howard Cross in his blocking, but looks to me like a better receiving option in the short zones. On run plays, Williams blocks like an extra tackle IMO, and him next to Fluker was devastating for defenses trying to stop runs to the right side.
    nfl.com:

ToddPhin likes this.
  18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    nothing wrong with it if its true..and he performs to a certain hi level..will be a lot wrong if he doesn't, and we pass on Eifert because of it.

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007

Who is this Agnew guy?

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    you are one hip old man Styles..I mean the love at 79 for Rage is quite cutting edge..lol

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I mean a really hip old man, chillaxin and sh&$..

22. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    If we pass on Eifert it is not going to be because of Egnew. IMHO…

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007

How do you figure?

What about Eiferts game would make you pass on him for any other reason?

24. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Well, I just dont think he is a guy you take at 12 and I dont think he is going to be there at 42.

For me it is Jones (need impact player on defense), Austin (coming around on him at 12 though I hate his size that early) or Trade down and take Turfant followed by a trade up to take DJ Hayden. CB position take care of and that allows you to still address TE, OT, pass rush and back up RB in the first 5 rounds

25. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Active Member

Mar 7, 2009
    The potentially elite zone corners are in the 2nd round. I see us going offense in the 1st, maybe after a trade down.

26. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    who are those guys in your opinion?

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Here's the way I'm looking at this draft, need to see what defensive players drop, but if all of my favorites are gone, Eifert and Austin are the best offensive skill players in this draft, I have them as equals 1a and 1a, so that in itself gives me a bit of flexibility if I wanted to trade down..if I trade down and one of those players is available it's a no brainer for me, if not then Trufant would be my fall back option..

I'm high on DJ Hayden as well, and will look at him directly if Trufant is not aquired earlier.

28. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

I'd be upset if we took Vaccaro in the 1st. Clemons had a great year last year.

29. DearbornDolfan

Mar 7, 2009
    I would say Johnathan Banks is at the top of that list, but I think somebody's going to reach based on need when Milliner and Rhodes go. His teammate Darius Slay I like a lot; he's fast enough to get away with baiting QBs into bad throws and most importantly Mississippi State runs a lot of zone coverages. Jamar Taylor is another one; he's aggressive but maintains enough discipline in his assignments to not get burned, he's tough, and he's almost as fast as Slay. The last guy I really like is Blidi Wreh-Wilson; he's fast, has excellent discipline in his assignments, and seems comfortable playing just about any coverage technique.

What connects these guys is that they're all legit 4.3 runners, they played a lot of zone and were good at it, and have roughly prototypical size for an NFL corner.

30. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I could see Misi as an ILB in a 3-4 defense. I think he's physical enough to play the MLB spot in a 4-3, but I'm not sure he's got the range laterally that's required. I also question how good he would be as a communicator in setting up the defense, making adjustments, changing calls. Imagine him going against Tom Brady and having to do that at the line. I'll take the more athletic kid who was Ray Lewis' understudy.

I suppose I could see Misi taking on Kevin Burnett's role if they envision Philip Wheeler coming off the open side more, but I think Wheeler is more blitzer than true pass-rusher.

Just my opinion of course. I'd rather just leave Koa Misi where he is if they don't have plans of drafting Jarvis Jones or one of the DE's at some point.

MrClean likes this.
  31. MrClean

Best zone corners that should be available in the 2nd, IMO, Jamar Taylor, Jordan Poyer, Blidi Wreh-Wilson.

32. MrClean

Egnew. Typo. Thanks.

33. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Personally I do not like banks at all. I think he is soft and want more physical cbs.I don't think slay is very physical either but I like him much better then I do Banks. Don't really know enought about the other guys to comment on them.I do love the idea of getting faster players. Cant teach speed...

34. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    What are your thoughts on Hayden?

35. DearbornDolfan

Mar 7, 2009
    I don't agree on Poyer. His speed is TE-typical, which means he can't make a mistake in coverage ever. That's just too much to ask for in a rookie, especially of a guy whose speed limits him to being a nickel and dime back.

36. DearbornDolfan

Mar 7, 2009
    I agree he's not physical. I think that's because his weight is so low for his height and he's aware of it. That said, if the dog doesn't bite as a puppy...

Slay isn't hyper-physical, but he's not a ***** either. Then again, we're talking zone corners, so the bar for physicality is a lot lower than it is for press-man corners.

37. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Add Darius Slay to that list for me. He can play both man and zone effectively.

38. DearbornDolfan

Mar 7, 2009
    I'm not sure he played a lot of man. I saw a lot of what looked like man, because he was in a press position and he seemed to dog the receiver, but the way he was covering made me think zone.

39. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    When I watched miss st play this year slay caught my eye more then banks did. Now there is some talk that banks was hurt for much of the season... so maybe that was part of it. I can tell you banks reminds me of smith... so maybe that is why I have a low opinion of him..

40. DearbornDolfan

Mar 7, 2009
    Exactly this. I didn't like Smith going into that draft and I don't like Banks for many of the same reasons. That said, I think Banks is a better player coming out from a technical standpoint, but he's certainly gun shy.