1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz...Jake Long tries to rebound; Dansby changes positions;

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Jun 5, 2012.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Jake has the right attitude after a down year for him.

Dansby is excited to play in the Zach Thomas position in the 4-3 defense

2. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    While I greatly prefer the 34 to the 43... I love our personnel much better in the 43. Not only does it play guys like Wake and Dansby in positions that I think maximize their abilities, but it also takes a guy like Misi and moves him from a position he was horrible at to a position I think will make him a solid player for us. Only thing I'm concerned about is the edge rusher opposite Wake. But that would be a question mark regardless of the formation.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Does anyone else get irritated when Sean Smith talks?

jegol71 and Ophinerated like this.
  4. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Yeah, Smith and Dansby have replaced Crowder and Marshall on my please just shut up list.

5. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    How did that one small quote saying he wants the coaches to ride him hard irritate you?

6. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hard to tell what the context of that quote, but I think a LOT of people will take that the wrong way.

7. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Because he hates Sean Smith and has made it known plenty of times. It doesn't matter what Smith says, he'll find a way to complain about it. Smith could say he just saved a school full of children from a burning building and DJ would probably complain that he's not focusing on football enough.

8. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    I've seen no reason at all to like Sean Smith. I guess if you like dropped int's he's your guy.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    A lot of what you hear is so typical.

The defense will be 'simpler' so that everyone can play 'faster'. Yet it will also be more 'unpredictable' and the coach is more 'detail oriented'. Oh and don't forget 'more aggressive'. No defensive coaching change in the history of the league has resulted in the installation of a scheme that is less aggressive.

Riiiiiiight.

To borrow a line from the popular Game of Thrones show, "words are wind".

10. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    And look at last year or tw with all the "we are going to be an attacking defense", "players are being put into position to make plays", "we will create more turnovers", yadda yadda yadda with the Nolan defense.

11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    should not even be a question

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Exactly. I keep imagining that the only people that are impressed by those quotes haven't been following football closely for very long.

13. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I personally could care less either way. I don't get hell bent on hating one player or favoring another. They're the Miami Dolphins, I root for all of them.

14. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Smith and Dansby both get on my nerves when they talk. Why Smith needs the coaches to stay on him is beyond me? Perhaps if he would just grow up and take responsibility for the fact he has been a very mediocre player in the NFL since he was drafted, he wouldn't need the coaches to constantly correct him. The better players in the NFL are self motivated and they know how to play up to their abilities without having to rely on the coaching staff to constantly motivate them.

Dansby was the highest paid LB in the NFL when the Dolphins signed him in free agency a few years ago. He certainly has not played up to his contract and while he was decent in the latter part of 2011, he played terrible and was in lousy shape during the early part of the 2011 season. He is no where near the LB Zack Thomas was during Zack's years with the Dolphins and it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't start playing better, the Dolphins cut him after the 2012 season.

15. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Not sure what there is to take the wrong way with that quote?

DJ doesnt strike me as a petty poster with grudges. If true, that would be disappointing...

What should not even be a question?

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Talk about making mountains of mole hills with the Sean Smith quotes. I have seen GREAT players say that they respond better to hard coaching. How in tarnation Sean Smith became the whipping boy for attitude/character instead of Vontae Davis is beyond me.

17. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Ya, plenty of players respond better to coaches riding them. It isnt uncommon at all. Not sure what the fuss is about?

However, I dont think either Smith nor Davis should be a "whipping boy for attitude/character". Both have been good for us IMO...

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Lol..I'll try to explain my position..first off, I want him to be successful, but when a player from the get, starts talking, and doesn't back it up, but act like he does, that bothers me, so I'm gonna ride his *** til he at least backs up his mouth, really, if the guy showed me something to be positive about, I would..The comment about coaches staying on him, I don't know, maybe I'm taking that out of context and how he really said it, but your essentially a very young player, hopefully you can self motivate yourself, and zero in on your craft.

19. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    But you arent riding him? You arent saying this to him or hold him accountable or pushing him? You're just talking about him on a message board. I'm not sure how he hasnt shown you something to be positive about in coverage? He obviously has had hands of stone, but the guy does cover well. He isnt better than Vontae, but does he have to be in order to be considered valued by the team?

And wanting coaches to ride him hard in practice has nothing to do with being self motivated. Some respond better to hard coaching, and for some hard coaching becomes a hinderence. Smith apparently is the former... and I dont see whats wrong with that?

20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He's been more consistent than Vontae, in my opinion.

Anonymous likes this.
  21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It's my own personal way of riding one of our players, I know it means nothing, just thinking out loud with my friends here, as for your 2nd point about him responding to hard coaching..Ok, that's a good point, and maybe an indictment on the previous coaching staff..

For me in general, his game is lacking overall, but you wouldnt be able to tell that with the swagger he plays with, I'm hopeful and encouraged that he can elevate his game, especially considering what Dansby said about him, but where I get a little confused is, I'm not sure he thinks he needs to elevate his game.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    in what way?

23. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    I would think asking the coaches to really ride him and push him hard would contradict the bolded, no?

24. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Smith's performance from week to week is more steady than Vontae's has been, especially last season. Sometimes Vontae Davis looks like Darrelle Revis 2.0; sometimes Vontae Davis looks lost.

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Covering receivers. Showing up to practice sober. Not missing games with rinky dink injuries.

26. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think Vontae Davis has either hit the highs or lows of Smith. He looked ascendant in mid-late 2010, but like a raging dumpster fire in 2011.

There's good reason why Richard Marshall is considered an insurance policy in part for Smith and not Davis. Smith's play last season is untenable from a starting cornerback.

27. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

In 2010, Vontae played nearly every defensive snap while Smith played only 661, though in his time on the field, Smith was more effective in both comp pct allowed and passer rating allowed.
    Then in 2011, it was as if they reversed roles. Smith played nearly every snap on defense while Vontae played only 699. But, Vontae had the lower com pct allowed and a much lower passer rating allowed.

slickj101 and Disgustipate like this.
  28. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I think it's simple. 2010 was the year of Sean Smith. 2011 was the year of Vontae Davis.

Difference is in 2010 Vontae Davis was still OK while Smith was horrible last season.

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    dinky dink injuries and sobriety I'll give you, but not being a better, more explosive,more consistent, overall better corner on the field, and I don't think it's close, Vds last 8 games last year, is something that Sean Smith hasn't sniffed yet imo.

30. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    One thing people consider is tackling abilty. Not generally looked at for corners, however Vontae is almost at linebacker level when it comes to tackling and Smith is close to wide receiver/quarterback level.

Another thing people consider is big plays. Neither makes a lot, however Vontae is very much ahead of Smith when it comes to big plays.

djphinfan likes this.
  31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Better overall corner on the field? That goes to Vontae. More consistent on the field? That goes to Sean Smith.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Still not sure what you mean but imo He's not consistent at tackling, not at intercepting, not making plays, and not earning my trust out there at the position.

33. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If we were to assume both will remain healthy and start 15-16 games apiece and both play at the level of their two previous seasons combined, then I'd put Vontae ahead of Smith going forward. Vontae was solid both seasons when he was healthy and able to play. Smith was very good in '10 and even though he played the 2nd highest number of defensive snaps in '11, he did not perform well. I think though, that both have shown the ability to be good corners, if we can have both be consistently durable.

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    And Smith doesnt look lost on the field since his arrival ?, VD has flashed big time ability, will come up and play the run as good as anybody, and hit you harder than any corner in the league, makes ints, and has played more consistent ball than Sean smith has..I'd like to know what you think Sean does well thus far?

35. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    It's as if you're ignoring the fact that he was tremendous in 2010. He played at a really high level that year. Better than any season Davis has had thus far.

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I would not use the word "tremendous in any fashion as it pertains to Sean Smiths game thus far,and I'm not ignoring anything, he's never been better than Vontae from what I've seen, at anything on the field.

37. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Then you're ignoring his 2010, the season in which he was very good. Most certainly better than any season Davis has had so far.

38. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Smith is good in coverage in terms of shadowing WRs. He isnt as good against the run, and he isnt as much of a playmaker as Vontae, but it seems like you want to down play Smith's coverage ability in order to prop up Vontae?

There is no need to do that. We are fortunate to have both DJ...

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I wished I felt like we were fortunate nasty, unfortunately up until this point, I only feel that way about 21, and it's all because of what I see in their games, in terms of coverage ability, Vontae plays the #1 receiver, Smith has issues with changing direction horizontally, Vontae last year, 2nd half, a case could be made that he played as well as anyone in the league..Smith was rated # 105 by PFF, I'm not a stat guy or even care, but it seems pretty accurate..I can only hope that he plays as good as Vontae has since their arrival Nasty.

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Crazy talk man with no name.