1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz . Mayock discusses Dolphin options at QB

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Feb 16, 2012.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    What are the chances that Flynn becomes as succesful as Brady .Fairly remote I would think.However we do have the advantage that our new HC knows him very well so if we make a move to acquire him its because Philbin is willing to risk his future on Flynn.

2. banjo

banjo member; jetssuck fan club

Mar 31, 2008
    BFE
    If Philbin likes him, I am definitely in on Flynn. Gives us an extra pick in the draft that we won't use on a QB while his learning curve is minimal. As far as if he can be as successful as Brady, that would have to mean that first, Philbin (if Flynn did come here) has what it takes to be like Belichick.

3. pilotfish

pilotfish Benched

Apr 24, 2010
    Colorado
    Totally agree with the risk involved for Philbin if we were to go with Flynn, which is why I think the odds are really long on our signing him. If we pay what we would need to to, its totally sink or swim for Philbin. If Flynn fails, Philbin will fail and may never see another HC opportunity. If we go with Manning or a rookie and fail, the failure will not be squarely on Philbin's shoulders. If I'm Philbin, I'm not sure that I want to go all in with my career on any one player, which is what he'd be doing with Flynn.

4. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm all in on Peyton Manning.

5. PhinPhanatic

PhinPhanatic New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Almost 0% same as the chaces Philbin is the next Belicheck (sp)

6. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

This works for both Flynn and Tannehill , both in a positive and a negative way. Miami is in a unique and preferrential position , it's almost like insider trading and we should make the correct decision , either yes or no on both players. Miami will also know what the correct price will be and if they want to pay that.

Laces Out and djphinfan like this.
  7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree with Mayock..

8. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    As Mayock points out, Ponder and Locker rose up in the draft last year, merely because teams have a need at the QB position. Not because either of these players were actually legitimate first round selections. I don't see either of these QB's having anything but mediocre careers and I am certainly happy the Dolphins didn't waste a pick on them last year.

I also feel this way about Tannehill and Weeden. I don't think either of these QB's will have much success in the NFL and I certainly hope the Dolphins don't waste a high draft pick on either of them. If the Dolphins don't get Manning or decide not go after Flynn, I would prefer that they try to trade up to get RG3.

If they can't get RG3, Manning or Flynn, I would rather they just stick with Moore next year and try to make a blockbuster trade next year in an attempt to land Barkley in the 2013 draft. IMO, Tannehill and Weeden will be no better in the NFL than Henne has been and if the Dolphins are determined to draft a QB in this years draft, I would like to see them draft Kellen Moore in the fourth or fifth round.

9. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Hmmm...does that mean that Ross, Ireland and Philbin could go to jail, I mean Martha Stewart did ?? hehehe

10. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    Larrryfinfan you crack me up

11. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Tiny fella. Why him?

12. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I will bet that Weeden and griffin will be very successful Tannyhill wasnt even the 4th best qb in the big 12 so whoeve picks Tannyhill ihope it is the Jets and not us. I would takke Brady Quinn , Matt flynn or Peyton Manning or I would take weeden or Griffin in fact i would be tempted to trade up and get Blackmon and get weeden and let them do their thing and thin get a de, and ot

13. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Agreed, if we are going with a tiny fella, can we at least pick up Russell Wilson?

As to the poster who said Tannehill wasn't even the 4th best QB in the Big XII, I couldn't agree more. All the things I have read about Tannehill just seem to sound a lot like the things that were being said about Jake Locker. Size, arm strength, athleticism....big buzz from everyone involved in the Draft process. Now look at what is being said about Locker ITT.

14. Larryfinfan

?? Wheesh....no thanks...

15. Larryfinfan

IDK....

Manning scares me too much, despite the fact that he was a franchise guy. How long will we have to wait for him to regain that strength and how long will he last even if he's 90% of what he was ?? Do we wait for him to recover, while Philbin is trying to install a new offense ?? Naturally, he'll have to adjust what he likes to do to Peyton, but if he's not in there ?? And if he ends up not being ready by TC or even the start of the season, we've wasted a lot of time to see how he does....Too risky a move for me....

Of course the best case is that he's ready to go full bore come March 9th, but is that reality ??

16. Larryfinfan

Tannehill would be a developmental guy given that he's only got 19 or so NCAA games under his belt at QB... But if they go after him, you have to figure two things positive...1) Sherman's assessment of his capabilities, again first hand and intimate...and 2) he'll know the system. Either way, he's not at the level of Luck or RG3, but still may be the next best... And while not everyone else agrees where he stands, most of the draft guru's have him as the #3 guy, FWIW...

Weeden would also be a developmental guy, and likely would mean MMoore gets the nod in the beginning. That's not the worst case scenario...to me the worst case is we wait on Manning and are stuck in August or Sept. if he can't play and we've wasted an offseason getting someone else ready to play like Manning...

The same can be said for Osweiller and Foles who the guru's move in and out of the top 5...

The easiest option for us and likely one (imho), is Flynn. Philbin knows him, he knows the O, he's shown some very good things and few not so good things. He is not the strongest armed guy out there, but that's not as important in the WCO. Can we determine his capabilities on what he's done so far....no....but perhaps Philbin can...

Any way we go, there is going to be risk. Even Luck and RG3 aren't elite yet...

17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's the difference between reading about a guy and watching him play. KB posted a great scout's review of Tannehill in the club that talked about his natural instincts when pressured. Despite his few starts, Tannehill shows the instincts to be a franchise QB. The scout also dispels the argument that Tannehill fell apart in the second half against the best team they faced. Yes, there were three INTs, but two of them were clearly errors by other (for example, a receiver slipped on his cut as Tannehill threw it so the receiver arrived late. W/O the slip the pass was perfect). That's the difference between evaluating a player and looking at the stat sheet.

18. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Agree on Tannenhill. But I think Weeden's a lot closer than you think and IMO easily beats out MMoore.

19. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I'm just throwing this out there, but has anyone given into the idea that Chad Henne could be in the mix?

Just throwing it out there. I mean, maybe the coaches bring him back in for a look? Just a thought.....

20. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Trust me, people are thinking it, but no one says it because this board would just shut down.

21. Larryfinfan

That may very well be true, King, but I think its more along the lines that he doesn't really fit in a WCO....He's just not accurate enough and maybe not mobile enough... I still think what has kept him from being successful is his instincts and anticipation...physically, he's as good as any other QB and better than most...mentally....I just don't think there's enough natural instincts there...

22. Larryfinfan

Possibly and it wouldn't shock me at all. I'm not sure why, other than age, that he's down as far on the boards as he seems to be...

23. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I think I remember someone quoting Philbin as saying he doesn't know what a West Coast Offense is. Thing is, Alex Smith was, and still is a bad WCO QB. Harbaugh was just smart enough to make the playbook easier for him to work with. The future of the NFL isn't about systems. It's about maximizing the potential/production of your players by tailoring your plan to their abilities. The stubborn "round peg in a square hole" Parcellian mindset is dying a quick death. Coaches are now shifting the meaning of the term philosophy.

Here's the difference between the Dolphins and the Jets over the past three years. The Dolphins ran a strong ground game/defense game plan because we felt that was the most effective way of winning a game. It was our philosophy. The Jets ran a similar system because that was their best shot at winning. If Mark Sanchez was Matt Stafford, do you think Ryan would have ran that type of offense in NY?

The only philosophy these days is winning.

24. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    What are the chances Flynn is the next Brady? Ok probably slim and slimmer...but, how many Bradshaws, Montana's Bradys are their in the history of the NFL? Look i would be happy if Flynn could help win A SB for us, something we havent had since the 70's. then lets worry about multible SBs from there.

25. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    The chances any QB becomes as successful as Brady are minimal...Marino, Manning, Favre, Elway, etc...weren't as successful as Brady.

Better to risk the future on a QB that has been groomed in your offensive system for 4 years after leading his team to the National Championship in college and has thrown for 9 TD passes and 731 yards in his two starts than risk it on the 3rd best QB prospect coming out or worse, or heaven forbid M. Moore.

26. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    First off, I don't think Flynn has to be the next Brady to be the solution at the QB position for this team. I'll be happy for a Schaub/Rivers/Ryan level of play out of whoever the next QB is. Second, I question the level of talent in this draft class outside of the top 2-3 prospects. Barkley staying in college really screwed us because we'd be positioned very well for him at #8/9. Lastly, I think every possibility has to (and will) be considered. Even Henne. That said, I don't see him being on this team next season. Maybe that's just because I don't want him to be though.

Oh, and I'm officially off the Peyton bandwagon. As much as I'd love to see him in aqua and orange, the last story I caught wind of re; a fourth procedure and possibly more to come has me convinced he's done.

JMHO...

27. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I don't see how we could bring back Henne, or why. The fan base at large would riot, and frankly how many shots do we feel we need to give to a late seconr round pick. More likely than not he will go to the Jets or somewhere that he might have a chance of starting (Washington maybe). At this point it is probably in both his and the phin's best interests to move on.