1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz-Ricky praises White

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Jun 26, 2010.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    • Two things that stood out to Ricky Williams from Dolphins practices: With Mike Nolan as coordinator, ``the defense is a lot more aggressive, and that makes the offense work harder.'' Also, ``Pat White, no question, is our most improved player. He's a quarterback now.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/...-heat-is-in-top-contention.html#ixzz0s0xcjfoQ

Not much dolphin news in this edition of Sports Buzz.

Ricky is not the first player who has praised Pat's improvement.

Let us hope it translates to production on game day.:up:

eric, brandon27, anlgp and 7 others like this.
  2. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    very good to hear.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Pat White...who is that...:shifty:

Larryfinfan and djphinfan like this.
  4. nvdolfan

nvdolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Marietta, GA
    Am I the only one hoping Pat White sucks in training camp so that we keep Thigpen instead? I just don't see Pat White successful at anything other than gimmick plays and would rather we have a decent backup quarterback.

HULKFish likes this.
  5. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    If they keep White and get rid of Thigpen, it would seem to indicate that White would have shown a ton of improvement. I certainly don't hope White sucks. In fact, I hope he looks incredible, this possibly garnering some trade value.

6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    No, I hope White improves so much that he shows hall of fame potential.

I wish that for every player on the Dolphins.

Puka-head, phineas64, Dorfdad and 4 others like this.
  7. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Damn fine post! :up:

8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    don't know if Pat white will ever be more than 3rd backup in the conventional system
    however
    he is a WildCat QB & has a place in the trickster/player department
    on Special Teams as a holder & returner, @ RB & WR
    he will provide the option to pass, run or receive.
    this is why he'll stick, kind of an Offensive/SpecialTeams JimJenson.
    Pat White is a winner & has a place on the team

Pandarilla likes this.
  9. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    While I didnt like the pick and I thought he was overwhelmed last year I am still hoping he will become a positive contributor despite my misgivings.

However if Thigpen is outplaying him I hope this regime does the right thing .I would rather see this regime admit to their mistake than to artificially prop up Pat White.

Tin Indian, Pandarilla and RoninFin4 like this.
  10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, apparently White has improved measurably as a Qb, what that means on the field remains to be seen, however as long as he makes it onto the field and has a shot then I'll be satisfied one way or another with him.

I have been wondering though..where are the White Haters?

I mean seriously if one has spent literal months bashing the guy, surely a positive report wouldn't cool that effort?

adamprez2003, djphinfan and jetssuck like this.
  11. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

[​IMG]

"You talkin to me?"

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    [​IMG]

Yeah, and I'm using my "quite" voice..

jetssuck likes this.
  13. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Well i guess its good that we're not hearing that he's still playing poorly....

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    JS...i freakin love ur ***.....funny.

Padre, what up baby, we got this son!!!!

WCQBX biatch, respect it, cause it aint goin no where..

I hope that mother grabber serves so much crow.

Puka-head, jetssuck and padre31 like this.
  15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

What ?? We certainly haven't seen anything like this from White so far ?? Where'd you get that idea ?? I don't and haven't seen anything like that from White...

However, I also hope he proves me wrong and becomes a bona fide 2nd round pick talent...

16. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Ok, I'll believe it when I see it, Padre... Like everyone, I hope he really becomes what he was drafted as....but I just don't and haven't seen it so far...

17. nvdolfan

Nov 1, 2009
    Marietta, GA
    Fair enough and I agree.... Once the season starts I will wish nothing but the best for White and everyone else on the Dolphins. I'd just like to keep the players most likely to show that potential on the roster and haven't seen what the FO has in White. Maybe I should acknowledge they know a bit more about talent and just trust them. ;)

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We'll see bro, recall at around this time last season:

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...f-as-pat-white-looks-to-gain-grip-on-passing/

Now Edgar continued the myth that "White has small hands" when in reality, White's hands are larger than Henne's, but this time (6/11/09) White was sailing passes and was trying everything (imho) to try and tighten up his accuracy.

Now Ricky was not exactly offering details on "how White has improved" just that he has, ditto Greg C and Hartline, DBess and Brandon Marshall haven't said a word either way.

But, and it's a large but, the reports from the Dolphins Bloggers last season have not been repeated this year, no passes sailing over fences, no passes hitting goal posts, nor golf carts..as long as White can do that, and show more skill running the ball, I'm happy with him.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    :chuckle:

Well, I'm not 100% in on this either, however when White takes a bootleg in practice and makes would be tacklers miss and miss badly then I will be much closer to being convinced that Pat W can be what he was drafted for in 2009.

djphinfan likes this.
  20. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Imagine Pat White:
    1) QB'ing the SingleWing (WildCat) when we need the change of pace (by the way he could have the system shift from right to left after the defense lined up, wouldn't that something special to pull out of the playbook)
    2) as a holder w/options to run, pass or receive would add a twist to the game
    3) on the return team w/the option to pass
    4) @ wr w/ options to run the reverse or pass
    5) @ scat back w/ options to receive out of the backfield or pass down field
    6) as an emergeny #3 Qb the conventional system backup

FarFetched? Difficult to imagine? I think not.
    anyone who followed his career @ WV knows he is multidimensional phenomenon
    knows he can run, catch & pass the ball w/ the best of them
    Pat White is a very gifted player physically
    & knows the game, he's all about football, a real Renaissance potential in the game

Pat White is a winner & man for all seasons!
    :yes:

adamprez2003 and padre31 like this.
  21. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Had Pat White been drafted in the 4th round, I doubt there'd be as much fuss over him as there already his. The fact is, he was a 2nd round pick, and he clearly didn't look comfortable in the specified role he was given to run last year. Hopefully he improves to the point where they can keep him on the roster, but if not, I hope this front office is smart enough to cut bait and admit they made a mistake. My main fear is that they move Thigpen to make room for White. If that's the case, Chad Pennington better damn well be 100% and ready to step in if need be.

CrunchTime likes this.
  22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Move Thiggy if they can find a good deal for him from outside of the division.

White did fine as the WC Qb, I do think his added muscle and experience will help him tremendously this season well that and adding Brandon Marshall.

The man has a world of physical talent, allow him as much time as Chad Henne.

23. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Sadly, if I were going to move anyone, it's boiling down to Pennington or White. It's hard enough to come across a decent backup QB that's still pretty young, as Thigpen is.

IMO, White didn't show much in the WC save for the New England game. But he wasn't drafted to run the franchise, he was drafted to run a specific part of the offense - he shouldn't need the same amount of time as Henne got as Pat White isn't and won't be running the entire if offense any time soon. That's where my gripe lies; if Pat White had been a 4th round pick I'd be more inclined to give him more opportunities, but being as he was a 2nd round pick, and in my opinion, played as bad as he did, I'm not so inclined to wait for him to come around just to run a specific package or two in the offense. Especially since Ronnie Brown is far more effective running the WC. Throw in the fact that you may have to cut down a roster spot just to keep White, and it sours it even more for me. Just my two cents.

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

There is more value in Thiggy than in White in a trade.

Disagree, his WC Qbing led to 4 scores and one key penalty in 52 plays with no turnovers and it is far more profitible to develop a Qb than any other position on the field, why invest a high #2 in a Qb, who played okay, only to give up on him a year later?

Not seeing it, not saying it couldn't happen, just saying it is doubtful.

25. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    What are the chances A dolphin player comes
    out in public and says,That little midget has no shot in
    Hell becoming an NFL QB Or PLAYING SO BAD LAST YEAR anything would be an improvement...not going to happen

I'll wait and see what transpires on the field before I
    crown him most improved Dolphin player

RoninFin4 and MikeHoncho like this.
  26. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Or maybe....just maybe he could win the starting job:wink2:

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    The initial vision...., devise the Wildcat offense to get the two players, Pat, and Ronnie, on the field at the same time, so they can be interchangable on any given play...we accomplish that, then the true 80/20 hybrid ProCat can reach all of its potential, in terms of designed plays...

IMO, Pat white does need to do other things, then just the wcqb, when the wildcat offense is on the field, for the offense to reach its max potential in design.

28. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Pat White has yet to run a play as the WC QB........those plays behind center was his little package. And saying he "led" 4 TD drives is taking liberty by the handfuls..

Pat White has yet to show that he has anything to offer us in the WC formation.

It's not even TC yet and he's moving past Thigpen and making him expendable? lol...I don't think so

Breathe you guys...... you have a couple more months to ride out

29. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    That's what I'm hoping to see, too. White and Brown on the field together running the wildcat.

Who handles the snap, though. Brown or White?

30. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Well thats good news for us, especially if true. It would be nice if we are going to keep the wildcat as part of our offense to be able to put White in there and be a threat to run, or throw the ball.

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nice, the only thing I'd add is Emergency Punter on a quick kick on a 3rd and too long, like 3rd and 25, trot White out there and let him drop kick it ala Randal Cunningham.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    either or Raffie..to me, thats the goal...its the reason why ive been so dissapointed in the handling of this player...I thought he would be exclusively trained within the boundries of the wildcat offense {knowing all skill positions responsibilities}...a new position if you will, designed for an offense that I believe is here to stay..

All this, just so when ronnie does take the snap, he's executing against a fair front...also, for this to reach its max potential, ronnie would have to throw a few more quick passes then he's doing now..with Pat being on the receiving end...These play's have to be executed, so the defense has to account for it, on all plays thereafter..

Its just my personal vision for the hybrid, since before he was drafted, and Iam hoping to hell it comes true, especially for Pats sake, because I don't have him being a successful Proset qb,

33. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Well that's the whole issue....can he do enough of what Brown does running the ball in the WC, to warrant being out on the field?

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think you only allow him to do what ronnie does as little as possible J.

When he takes the snap, its not the same design, just make sure that when he does, ronnie is on the field with him, so that 2 man option game can come into play..then, the run pass threat is a real threat..Then you can switch right back to the wildcat with minimal or no substitutions on the very next play, also, pat becomes the jet sweep guy, or lines up behind ronnie...

Bottom line, If Pat's body can absorb the contact, its truly a mind bleep for the defense..

The reports about his strength and size improvements are so important for this kids future...we've got to stick with this kid because the end results could be truly spectacular for this hybrid offense.

35. nvdolfan

Nov 1, 2009
    Marietta, GA
    I'm not buying this "dual threat". Performance in college does not always correlate to the NFL. It's been shown time after time.

Honestly from 2009 I didn't even see Pat White as a single threat.
    Not sure if you saw any passes Pat White threw last year. They were awful. Granted they were only 5 passes, but even Ronnie threw the ball better.
    I don't think any teams feared Pat White running the ball either.

Here were his stats:
    Throwing - 0 for 5.
    Running - 21 rushes for 81 yards (3.9 a carry).
    Ricky had 4.7 a carry, Ronnie had 4.4 a carry.
    Not fair to compare him to a running back so let's look at Thigpen.
    In 2008 for KC Thigpen rushed 62 times for 386 yards (6.2 a carry) - now there's a dual threat!

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Ive seen Pat white throw the football plenty to know he can...especially the throws that the position of wcqb would require..games got to slow down for him.

Iam not lookin for him to be a proset qb.

37. nvdolfan

Nov 1, 2009
    Marietta, GA
    I think that was the biggest challenge for him last year... Tough to come in to the wildcat in very limited situations and try to adjust to NFL speed. With the wildcat/pistol it's all about making the quick read. Another year should help him.

I'd be all for developing him if we had a solid 2nd stringer. Since we brought back Penny, I see that as a huge gap (I love Penny, just not sure how much he has left in him and hate the idea of losing Thigpen).

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    If you think about it, what a tremendous amount of pressure to come in like that cold, most of the time in crucial parts of the game....hey, at least he got those tough experiences under his belt, which should expedite the maturation process...the moments will not get any bigger really...

39. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    The real test will be if Pat White can show improvement in a real game time situation.