1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stadium Remodel Begins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jan 5, 2015.

1. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    The dude is only worth like 5 billion. He's already sunk 20% of his assets into buying the team. To build a new stadium, would mean half his worth is in the Miami Dolphins. LOL not happening. That said, I think this constuction project is going to run into huge problems and cost more than anticipated.

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    there was some talk about how Finkle and co had major talks about how to improve sound levels..

lets hope they are curving the canopies...this is some info on the link canopies.

ours look pretty flat to me from the pics...

we also know that they studied the san fran design for some weird reason, maybe the green affect.

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That is literally a fabricated assumption on your part and its based in nothing more than your desire for a new stadium.

The argument is that it would cost less to build a new stadium or be worth it, then remodel. I'm saying prove it with numbers, because I don't think you guys are factoring in EVERYTHING needed to build a new stadium.

4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007

little over 6..

also the nfl is contributing 50 mill to the cause.

the link if built in todays market would cost about 600 mill.

5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    yes its my assumption that a stadium that could be built the way I'm talking about and marketed would be incredibly profitable over the long term..

the numbers are in seattle..the blueprint has already been established..all you have to do is build it and the rest will happen automatically..thats the point of my theory, its all in the design..the rest is just pure revenue and competitive advantage..

how much money do you think seattles consecutive trips to the superbwl mean to paul allen, how much does being the best home team in the nfl have to do with that, and how much does the design have to do with that??

its all connected, and it all comes from intelligent design.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You're not understanding the argument.

7. Coloradotrv

Coloradotrv Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Why?

8. Coloradotrv

Apr 2, 2013

They are not curving the canopies from what I can tell. Have to consider SLS in this argument is purely a different layout than Seattle. Seattle used parabolas to maximize sound concentration on the field. They had to do this because the stadium ends are open, so all sound generated there does not reverberate and escapes. SLS being, basically a box, will have virtually no sound escape out the ends. Because sound is generated in waves, all of it will reflect off the roof at varying angles and be redirected towards the field. Some sound waves may miss the field but they will then bounce off some other part of the stadium and back up to the roof and back down and so on. Yes some sound will escape through the middle, and some will escape out the air gaps between the top of the stadium and the roof, but because of the design of SLS, significantly less sound will be allowed to escape than seattle, purely based on physics.

Think of Seattle's stadium as an amplifier because the layout can't achieve the volume on its own. SLS should be able to produce the desired volume without amplificiation.

9. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm not from/in/or anywhere near miami, but isn't it like virtually impossible to get a new stadium now due to the Marlins?

10. Coloradotrv

Apr 2, 2013
    double post

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    what then. you don't see the revenue streams on their own, that come from the link and the 12th man exclusively, relative to the costs of building it?

12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    theres one missing piece in this, all the fans in seattle are much closer to the field then ours, and thats the most important element.

13. Coloradotrv

Apr 2, 2013
    I don't know about that. The upper deck is still pretty far out there. Their lower bowl has a steeper rake, getting the premium seats closer. The biggest issue that people I think are forgetting is that SLS was initially a combo stadium. The entire thing was built so that you could put baseball in it too. That has skewed the proportions a bit to allow for the distance in the outfield. Doing what they can to fix it, but without a new construction there isn't much you can do. The roof will really help.

Stadium should be louder, more alcohol options which leads to louder fans (risky because of behavior issues), humidity will still be a factor, and now opposing teams will be the only team baking in the sun the whole game. They are doing what they can to create a true home field advantage. It will be up to the fans once this is done.

14. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Lets see that 12th man culture when the Seachickens go 4-12. Everything is groovy when you're winning. And for the record, the Chiefs have the record for loudest stadium, a losing team, and NO ROOF. They are the true 12th imo.

15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I didn't say that and I didn't hint at that.

I said it is not cheaper to build a new stadium then it is to retrofit this one.

16. Coloradotrv

Apr 2, 2013
    If you tried to retrofit the upper deck to bring those seats closer in addition to the already planned upgrades, it most definitely would be.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    ok bud, sorry.

Fin D likes this.
  18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I haven't seen the numbers that it would take to fix the upper bowl and I haven't seen the numbers it would take to find, test, purchase & prep new land, then build the stadium then add all the infrastructure to handle traffic, water, sewage, etc. and on top of all that all the non-reported grease money it would take to make all of that happen. Maybe you have.....but I haven't.

19. Coloradotrv

Apr 2, 2013
    Well my number is based on the stadium itself. They could build on the same site, so then there would be no land cost. Utilities would already be on site. Of course to build downtown would be more money based on the real estate alone.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    for me location isn't a deal breaker, so like CTV said, could of been built on current site, and we do know that is estimated that if you built the link today it would be 600 mill...

however the costs to destruct sunlight and remove would also be costly...hey I'm just having fun here.

21. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    it was pretty quiet there for 50 minutes

Fin D likes this.
  22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    really not true..those fans were on their feet the whole time.

23. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    You're right,,and a lot of them were on their feet mid way through the 3rd quarter as they were leaving, then on their feet as they stood outside trying to get back in the stadium when they realized two things,#1 the Seahawks were coming back and #2 that they are fair weather fans.

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    bs, the fans were from the standing room only section and there were only a few hundred.

dolphin25 likes this.
  25. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Infrastructure should be in place to move far more people than attend a football game in and out of a downtown location. Public transportation, parking, etc... should already be in place for the work day. Also, hotels should already be in the area, again to support workers. I don't know how Miami does it (wikipedia has about 130k daily commuters for Miami), but living in the NW I can attest to how incredibly easy it is to get in and out of downtown stadiums. It's just land costs are prohibitive.

26. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I found an interesting article on the whole loudest stadium thing. It had a quote that DJ will love...

http://www.kansascity.com/living/article2496723.html

27. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    Yes that makes it much better :pity:

Only BS here is your constant never ending 12th man fapping when they have fair weather fans too.

28. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    In not really sure what "should be" means in this context, but the bottom line is that it is not, at least not in any kind of efficient or effective way. Technically, there probably are enough parking spaces and garages in downtown, but most are not close to where any stadium might go (and really there isn't anywhere a stadium could go). When there is a big Heat game and an event at the Arsht at the same time, there are around 20-22,000 additional people going into downtown and it creates traffic logjams. A Dolphins game would have roughly 3-3.5 as many people. It could be done, but it probably would take 90 minutes for a lot of people to get out of downtown.

I guess there's also the question of how you define "downtown." I'm not sure what downtown football stadiums there are in the NW, but I'm guessing you are talking about Seattle. I guess you could call CenturyLink downtown, but I consider it kind of on the fringe of downtown. That doesn't matter in and of itself, but the further you move from the heart of downtown the further you also move from the parking and public transportation infrastructure that you are talking about. And Miami is hardly renowned for its public transportation, although it is getting better.

But going back to the main point, there just isn't much benefit to having a football stadium downtown. For actual football, you are talking about 10 events a year with approximately 8-9 of them on weekends when most of the people who are downtown during the week aren't even there. Downtown stadiums and arena make more sense for basketball, baseball and hockey because you have weekday night games and it can draw people who work downtown. Football really doesn't do that. And in Miami, at least, the people that actually live downtown are not a big football demographic, i.e., a lot of snowbirds and Latin Americans did didn't grow up with our football and don't care all that much about it.

29. Buckeyetroop

Buckeyetroop Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    At least they have fans. We have empty seats and of the ones who attend, the majority are disinterested most of the game. How far we have fallen.

dolphin25 and djphinfan like this.
  30. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    I don't see how the revenue streaming is really any better. The upper deckers just aren't going to pay much more no matter what you do to the stadium. A lot of those are people who make $30-50k per year and even at $45 per ticket are spending roughly $300 for the family of 4 to go to the game. You could make the seats out of "soft Corinthean leather" with Ricardo Montalban serving them drinks and their budgets just won't enable them to pay much more. And even if they did, those upper deck ticket revenues are shared with the rest of the league.

31. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    Top row isn't a very useful measure because of differences in stadium sizes. Sun Life seats roughly 10k more than a lot fo stadiums (and less than others), so if you lopped off those top rows the new top row would be closer to the field but the stadium would in all other respects be identical.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Im sure every team has more than other but every team has some...35,000 on a season ticket wait list.. as a whole, fairweather your ***...if you can't put what happened into some sort of minority perspective your just a jealous fan of what they have.

dolphin25 likes this.
  33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    dolphin25 likes this.
  34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    im not talking about just ticket sales, but that is one stream that would improve with an intimidating design..you have 12 th man merchandise, events, sponsorship, just an incredible extra amount of publicity..it would be interesting to see paul allen numbers on just what the 12th man machine generates.

35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    thats what Ive been saying, saw of some of those top rows to make it even more intimate...

36. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

DJ.. You hate when people come up with crazy stuff like that. Come on Bro...I watched the whole game as well. You know damn well that crowd was out of it... They said as much during the game. Also.. Russell Wilson pretty much looked horrendous for 58 minutes of that game. It doesn't mean he's a bad QB. But its kind of silly that you hold Seattle up to some.. Mystical lofty status. Seriously bro.. Sometimes I wonder why your a Phins fan, and not a sea hawks fan. What you do is like your married to some woman, and always asking her, why can't you be hawt like that other chick.

37. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    They are 60 minutes from a second consecutive title. In today's league, simply making the playoffs following a championship is impressive. They've earned their lofty status.

djphinfan likes this.
  38. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    I'd guess that extra revenue is pretty small in the scheme of things. I strongly doubt it is anywhere close to enough to bridge a construction cost differential of several hundreds of thousands of dollars.

39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'd like to remind everyone that the Seahawks stadium was paid for by the people of Washington. Its a helluva lot easier to say build a brand new stadium when its cost is spread across a few million pockets instead of one.