1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stadium Remodel Begins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jan 5, 2015.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Soooooo your telling me that the whole bowl is going to be reconfigured with prefab 50 feet closer to the field?

Sweet baby Jesus lying there in all your splendor and wonderment.

Mile High Fin, PSG, Mexphin and 5 others like this.
  2. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Beasley wrote an article about it in the Herald - sorry I didn't save the link - but it's from today. It's probably up on Twitter. His article said that they're working on the seats and scoreboards (1 in each corner of upper deck, similar to MetLife I'm guessing) this year and the roof will be ready by the 2016 season. Also said they're doing upgrades in the suites and adding a small venue for concerts in the parking lot.

3. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    it won't let me read the article when i type the herald.com in.

4. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    wait, if they started ripping out the seats that means next years the lower bowl has to be done ?

Bpk likes this.
  5. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    alright, Let's see how much louder it will be this season.

Bpk likes this.
  6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    sing with me guys.....''Im a lumberjack and Im ok i sleep all day and I work all nite, I dress in womens clothing and hang around in barrrrrrrrrrrs!!

7. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'd love for them to figure out what the **** they're doing in terms of traffic management around the stadium while they're at it. They've been really awful at it for years.

Stitches likes this.
  8. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The worst part about the stadium is the egress at the end of the game.

There is no crowd control and 75% of the fans streaming out just cross the main road without looking and just engulf the cars.

How somebody isn't killed there every week is a mystery I still haven't solved.

The renovations look cool. Makes no difference to me as I gave up my tickets, but cool nonetheless.

sports24/7 likes this.
  9. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Here is you confirmation DJ:

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/01/05/first-look-at-sun-life-stadium-renovations/

One thing that bothers me is that they are saying that they are changing the rake of the seating. Since they are starting closer to the field I assume this means that they are lowering the rake (making it flatter). While it will be an improvement it won't have the impact of a steeply raked stadium where more fans are closer to the field.

10. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Of course, that's how Twitter works. He's @TomGarfinkel.

The lower bowl will be redone with precast segments that have a more gradual angle of decline. The flatter angle means that the lower bowl extends closer to the field before tapering off. Also possibly means more seats can fit in the lower bowl.

Mile High Fin and Bpk like this.
  11. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Technically...Precast is also "poured". it's just cheaper, easier, and adaptable.

JRS has grade beams currently in the 100 level, where they will place the New Precast seating, so those will have to be redone, or reinforced. My guess is that since the club seats are basically built on one giant beam on columns that hold up the upper deck...that those won't be touched.

I am told however that there are TONS and TONS of NEW concrete to be poured, so my guess is that they are building a promenade or new mezzanines in the upper deck.

DOLPHAN1, sports24/7, Bpk and 3 others like this.
  12. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida

if you build a promenade at the end of the club seats, you increase the rake by making it steeper.

Bpk and Da 'Fins like this.
  13. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Would those be the decks underneath the 4 scoreboards?

14. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Yep. My guess is that they build a promenade under each scoreboard with concessions.

15. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    So you are saying the upper decks (400 level) being moved in as well? That would be a key.

I think they have to have that upper level moved in also to really help the fans and the noise factor.

If they change the rake - in which direction? steeper or shallower? One of the problems with the stadium, is I think it's a bit too shallow an angle.

Now if they move them in on one side, 30-50 feet more, will the field be adjusted and centered? That should be interesting.

Really hope this works and makes a great stadium.

ToddPhin and Bpk like this.
  16. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

My non-disclosure is now up, so I can tell you what I know, based on the S.F. 49ers stadium.

The Miami Dolphins top management (including Ross) toured The Niners new stadium during construct to get ideas for their own remodel. While The Niners allowed them to tour, they also tried to keep them from seeing certain things as they were in competition with each other for Super Bowl 50, at the time.

I believe a lot of the features that San Francisco's new stadium has, and will have, will be mirrored for Miami. I will try to dig up the old pictures/features so that I don't lead anyone astray as to what those are.

17. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I'm hoping that is the case but I haven't seen any mention of it.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    i can confirm that, against the jets I got in a shouting match with the police because all they were doing was waving us off when we were trying to get on the turnpike from the stadium..wound up taking 2 15 mins to go to boca.

its just bad mgt..no foresight..

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    nah V that doesn't help me, that only tells me what my suspicions were, which was only adding rows at the bottom which would only bring those specific rows closer to the field leaving everything else as is...but, we've heard the word preset concrete so my hopes are up.

20. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    man this could be awesome, might attract people to the stadium and make it louder when the defense is trying to make a stop on 3rd down.

Da 'Fins and Bpk like this.
  21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    ok Deej...just calm freakin down..relax the sphincter.

22. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I think what this means is.. It will feel like a whole new experience at the stadium. For ask intents and purposes.. It will be a new stadium.

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    not the stadium I would of wished them to that for but I look at it like this, any moving of concrete or adding of concrete has to involve moving things closer than what they are..

I really didn't expect this, I just thought they would add some rows at the bottom, change the color of the seats, put the roof on and put up 4 big screens.

Bpk likes this.
  24. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    VT,I think they are doing this to the 400 Level as well,except where the Big Screens are going in therefore making it easier to install the canopy over the seating and the bowl Are'nt they? I am pretty sure is what they also said..What is your take on it? DJ is gonna be happy.

25. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Which exit did you use? I always use the Homestead extension to and from NW 27th Avenue and have never had any major problems.

26. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    He already stated, "I love everyone." :lol:

27. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    9ers:

[​IMG]

Bpk likes this.
  28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    no way they are using the preset stuff in the uppers...no way no how...everyone needs to just calm down around here alright..geez louise 4ever.:wink2:

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    they had a real chance to make something very special, especially seeng first hand what their main opponent has in terms of a venue and its impact and they didn't learn jack sh((...good wifi though.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  30. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm surprised the worst owner in the NFL did this.

Bpk and djphinfan like this.
  31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    in all seriousness, if this is all he does for us, to me he's a sweet old man.

I don't think folks, in fact i know most folks do not truly understand what a disadvantage the venue is to our players, our fans, our cuture, and our performance..

your talking about playing on a neutral field for the past 3 decades..thats 3 points a game in my book...if this is all true, and the actual sections will be closer to the field, its going to make a dramatic difference in all this things I listed above..not to even mention what it will do for our city...

77FinFan, Da 'Fins and Bumrush like this.
  32. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    all new rake? Figures Ross would want to take something more off the top... always stiffing the working gambling folk... :shifty:

oh and LOL at DJ in this thread. He's going to be 50 feet closer to Wake's dong... he can almost reach out and touch it.

bigbry likes this.
  33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I wasn't paying attention, it was just a mess, they sent us down the backroads..

34. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Touch it, flip it, rub it down..

im not fallen for the banana in the tailpipe until I see prefab sections being craned in..

I wonder if they will saw off a few rows from the upper all the way around, that would be interesting if the are gonna add seats to the lower.

35. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Relax it's very doable Deej. I worked with precast bridge units for years.
    The trick is attaching to existing slabs etc. Might have to pour somewhere and demo also.
    Would love to see the Issue for Construction drawings. :up:

36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and I would love for you to see them as well, why don't we get to see them, why are we the fans not up to speed, were left guessing what we're really doing.

I just didn't know that we'd have enough money to do this on top of all the other stuff we're doing..

But damn is this the best news ever...I mean if we're talking about changing the angle all the way around, and adding that cool *** roof, it's gonna be a lot more intimate, and that intimacy is what you want, that's how you engage the fan to the players and vice versa..adrenaline gets increased the closer the fans get.

37. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Not that I would advocate this........but the company doing this has public servers they use to upload their .PDF's...and in those PDF's...you will find the......(well you know)

Just have to know how to grab it.

djphinfan and WhiteIbanez like this.
  38. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Maybe im just not understanding it..But I cant see how when the way the club seats and 400 level is already in place, they can make the lower bowl steeper with adding MORE seats. Doesnt seem like that would work. I could understand making it steeper with taking seats away, but not adding seats.

Somebody help me out with understanding this. Without a link that has me reading 15 pages.

39. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    It's in the Treads and Risers. Steeper means shorter tread...taller riser....and thus MORE Treads..and thus...More Seats.

Simple math.

40. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

It's lucky we missed the playoffs or they might have had to wait.

#lucky!