1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars Episode VII

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Bruzer, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Johnson was following the Star Wars story beats that the second movie is a downer. Clones was a bit of a downer. Empire was big kick in the nuts.

2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    The first few episodes of Clone Wars show are on the slower side. It hits a stride after awhile, characters (especially Ashoka) fall into place a bit and start to progress. If it's the visual style that you don't like though, then it probably won't change, that stays fairly consistent - but I do feel the voice acting improves, as does the storytelling, which get's a bit tighter and more action-oriented.

As for the movies themselves, they have some high points, but god there is just so much trash it's hard to watch. Jake Lloyd and Jar Jar were terrible. Qui-Gon is the WORST JEDI ever, Episode 2 .... ugh. The final prequel movie is alright, but that's as generous as I can do.

I still like TFA and am a big fan of TLJ. Rogue one is dope, Solo ... meh. RotS, man. I almost wish the Trevorrow script hadn't leaked. I get that comparing what is essentially a rough draft to a finished project is dangerous, but I like the direction and vibe it gave off much more than the JJ film.

Sidenote, Adam Driver KILLED IT as Kylo, great actor. Watching him absolutely lose his **** when he saw Luke was great. The play between him and Hux was excellent. JJ throwing that away that tension for discount Werner Herzog (whoever played General Pryde) was a criminal decision. I was never too bothered by Holdo either, but the more I watch, the more I don't think she was the right person for the part. Canto Bight is kind of a slog still, but not grossly so. I agree with Dupree, having Kylo mimic Vader killing the Emperor by killing Snoke was a good twist, followed by the fact that he is NOT reformed, but instead trying to get Rey to come to him and his new rule. Also, I thought the fight against the guards was cool. It was fun to see non-jedi trying to mix it up.

I do NOT think 9 is a well made film, especially considering how it's supposed to continue from 8. JJ just essentially said "**** it" and retconned the whole thing, and then took some pot shots, while making multiple dubious and hard to believe choices. The more I've seen it, the more I dislike his vision. Disney and Kennedy tried to play it safe and it bit them in the ***. How the hell did the Emperor build AND CREW 10,000 planet killing star destroyers? It was absurd. Shoehorning in the Knights of Ren after he ignored them in 7 was dumb. If he really wanted the Emperor to feature, that should have been done in 7. Shoehorning in new characters like Zori and Janna instead of using Rose just made it too crowded. Bleh. I don't hate the film, Ill watch it, but it simultaneously leaves me with a "it should have been X instead" feeling.

All that said, I am looking forward to Mandalorian and then this High Republic stuff. I think it will be good for Disney to get away from the confines of the Skywalker legacy.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm looking forward to eventually watching The Mandalorian and other new stuff as well. I'm not going to jump in with Disney+ until the MCU shows start there.

texanphinatic likes this.
  4. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    The Mandalorian wasn't "great" by any stretch, but the episodes were well written and it was a fun watch. Would I ever re-watch it? Maybe? Probably not? But I'll definitely check out season 2 and beyond to see how Mando (and baby Yoda) progresses. He's definitely a fun character with a solid story arc so far.

5. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    My wife got bored and activated the trial. I suspect it's going to be a subscription in the next day or two. :chuckle:

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Its always like pulling teeth to convince my wife to spend money on something new in the best of times, and things are obviously not normal right now. So, whenever Falcon and Winter Soldier premiers, it'll be easier.

7. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    If you need to "borrow" access for a few days to watch the first season, just PM and let me know. I got it free for the year as a Verizon customer and it's rarely used by my household.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  8. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    That's very generous of you, but I'm good. I can be very patient!

KeyFin likes this.
  9. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Watched a chunk of Mandalorian season 1 last night. Fun, but a mostly slow-paced show, I hope it picks up a bit. I like seeing the non-Jedi, non-glitzy side of the world with ordinary people, that was one of the highlights of the otherwise "meh" film Solo. Themed and paced like an old Western style lone gunman type show, it struggles a bit in that the main character is both always helmeted and doesn't emote much in voice, and the baby Yoda is an obvious and almost over the top emotional ploy/toy seller/marketing gimmick. Overall it's fine and I am enjoying it, but it's not blowing me away.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    If you guys were to exclude the original trilogy (which almost everyone likes and enjoys), how would you rank the rest of the movies? For me, I think it would go like this. My rankings are always based mostly on enjoyment, more than anything:

The Force Awakens
    Rogue One
    Attack of the Clones
    The Phantom Menace
    The Rise of Skywalker
    Revenge of the Sith
    The Last Jedi
    Solo

11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    My rankings are based on enjoyment as well. There is a HUGE dropoff from the Force Awakens to Solo, and then Solo to The Rise of Skywalker. Solo is fine. I feel almost nothing about it. The Rise of Skywalker and The Phantom Menance have things I enjoyed visually. Duel Of The Fates is amazing! The Rise of Skywalker was just more enjoyable overall though due to my love of Kylo Ren. Revenge of the Sith was boring and stupid and ruined Vader. Attack of the Clones is boring and ruined Vader. Rogue One was and is the only Star Wars movie that just made me angry from beginning to end. I hate that movie as much as I hate Man of Steel and Batman and Robin.

The Last Jedi
    The Force Awakens
    Solo
    The Rise of Skywalker
    The Phantom Menance
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    Rogue One

12. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Like you guys, this is pretty much based on my personal enjoyment. I broke into tiers of a sort.

Most enjoyable and mostly good films. New Hope and Empire would be in this category at the top.

TLJ
    TFA
    Rogue One

More noticeably flawed but still fairly enjoyable. I'd probably slot Return of the Jedi at the top of this one.

Revenge of the Sith
    Phantom Menace

Largely forgettable, heavily flawed. I'd still watch them if they were on, but I wouldn't seek them out or watch them over the others.

Solo
    Rise of the Skywalker
    Attack of the Clones

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  13. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Finished Mandalorian. Picked up a bit, raised the emotional stakes believably. Love the reedy percussion theme lol. Solid, but still not blown away. I think if you like Star Wars, you will like the show. If you don't it's probably not going to hook you. Pedro Pascal did a solid job. Hard to act when you are supposed to be a stoic warrior who never takes off his helmet. Gina Carano got a lot of praise for her role, and while I didn't dislike her, it wasn't anything to write home about. Carl Weathers and Werner Herzog were fun additions. Nick Nolte as a Ughnaught (sp) was nice, and the IG droid was cool to see. I really enjoyed the prison ship episode, reminded me of a favorite mission from the Mass Effect 2 video game. The revelation of Moff Gideon's is an interesting twist for season 2 to pursue. Good villian, very Imperial without being over the top.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  14. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I felt pretty much the same way- I enjoyed the show, but didn't consider it "must see". They dropped episodes each Thursday and that's mostly when I watched them, but towards the end I'd make it all the way to the weekend without realizing I missed an episode. Not knocking it at all though- the writing was good and it was a fun story throughout.

Baby Yoda was a lot of fun too and sort of made the series...he just wanted to be a kid. His lack of understanding what was going on around him 90% of the time brought a lot of humor. I hope season two explains a little more why they were after him in the first place...I thought that could have been expanded on and made a nice little mini-story.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  15. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    KeyFin likes this.
  16. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL

vmarcilfan75 likes this.
  17. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I look forward to eventually watching that series at some point.

18. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    damn that looks good!

texanphinatic likes this.
  19. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://geektyrant.com/news/jj-abra...d-have-benefited-the-star-wars-sequel-trilogy

JJ Abrams has said recently that maybe episodes 7-9 would have worked out better if they'd been planned out from the start....

I mean....duh? How Lucasfilm and Disney could drop the ball on that simple step is almost beyond belief. Its not like they went into it thinking "Well, if The Force Awakens is popular, maybe we can make another one?". They knew that they were printing money. They knew that they would make more movies. There were stories back then that they planned to make LOTS more movies, and most of us presumed that they had a big outline for how everything would work the same way that Marvel does. But sheesh, clearly not.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    They failed with they hired JJ Abrams. JJ is an idea mystery box man.

21. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    To go into a final trilogy, following six previous films, with long standing and cherished story lines, and then to just make it up as you go along?

It's basically gross negligence towards the franchise - if there were such a charge.

It goes beyond belief.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    the prequels are cherished?

23. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    A lot of the storylines/threads starting with them are, for example Darth Maul vs. Obi Wan, Order 66, etc.

For all their faults, the sequels at least tried to flow into the original trilogy, and were at least partially successful in building the Star Wars universe. The people behind the sequels really didn't seem to care about anything other than their own new ideas.

24. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I like the prequels. Don't love them, but enjoy them. From what I've seen online though, a lot of the younger people that grew up with them often have a really strong attachment to them.

25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    And a lot of young people will be attached to The Rise of Skywalker.

The prequels are terrible.

26. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    LOL, I know that we've had this discussion before, but terrible is a relative term. To me, if the original movies are all "8s and 9s", the prequels are about a "6". They're average Hollywood Sci Fi movies, with special effects that were mostly good in their day. They're brought down by Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen, but if you can get past that, I generally enjoy watching them from time to time.

I like all three of them more than I did The Last Jedi or The Rise of Skywalker.

27. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    The Last Jedi was so much better than all of them.

If they weren't "Star Wars" movies they would be forgotten. Nobody could have made that crappy dialog any good. It wasn't Hayden Christensen's fault that he had to say with a straight face, "I hate sand."

Bad writing. Bad direction. Wooden acting. Useless fighting.

They were brought down by George Lucas who should have never directed those movies. He should have hired some people and worked with them to create his vision. Prequels are what happens when you surround yourself with Yes Men and just make a huge pile of crap.

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I 100% believe that people who dislike The Last Jedi would have disliked Empire Strikes Back in 1980.

29. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Well, I didn't see Empire until about 1983 or 84, so I guess I'm safe! :chuckle:

30. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    The three sequels are the worst movies in the whole saga. Uncreative. Poor story-telling. Inconsistent film-making. The sheer fact, as noted above, that each film was somewhat stand-alone highlights a big part of the problem. They were horrible. Their only saving grace was the quality of the cinematography and a few decent elements here and there.

Freaking horrendous.

31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones is the worst movie in the whole saga.

They are more uncreative, worse story telling, worse acting, worse everything. They don't even make sense. Worst love story ever!

32. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I actually like The Force Awakens. Its fun, it moves, the dialogue is good IMO, its a good opening chapter to a new direction. But....they completely dropped the ball after the good setup.

33. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    The one that baffles me the most is how people like Revenge of the Sith. Anakin's fall is by far the worst part of the entire Star War films.

The fight at the end was so long and got boring after a while.

Padme dies of heart break?

Inconsistant tone.

Children MURDER!

34. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://screenrant.com/emilia-clarke-qira-lando-show-appearance-reaction/

Emilia Clarke denies being contacted about a role in the upcoming Lando series on Disney+. However, I'd love to see her make an appearance or even have a regular role. Solo was the first and only thing I've ever seen her act in, but I thought that she did a really good job and has a really strong presence on the screen.

I'm excited to watch the series regardless. I've been a fan of Donald Golver since Community, and I think he'll continue to do a great job with the character. Its also a way to sneak in some cool backstory to the Star Wars universe, given where in the timeline it takes place.

35. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I just finished season one of The Mandalorian and will start the second one soon. I really, really enjoyed it. It's very well written, very well thought out, and more than anything very well directed. The early episodes have long stretches without much dialogue, and you still get a really great feel for the characters and everything that's going on.

I liked that you're introduced to the characters of the show gradually and the various episodes give you a good feel for who they all are. Some characters are one shots, whereas others are left open for the possibility of a return to the show later on. The production values are high, and more than anything the show feels like Star Wars.

It's also fun that the show is set in a block of time (five year after Return of the Jedi) that's largely unexplored in mainstream Star Wars media to this point, which gives them a lot of freedom to work. However....

I found it extremely difficult to believe that none of the characters had any idea who the Jedi were. Carl Weathers character Greef Karga would have been 30-40 during the Clone Wars. He would have grown up during the years of the Galactic Republic. Surely, even if he lived on outpost worlds, he would know about them.

Galant likes this.
  36. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    To your spoiler point, a lot of that gets worked out in season two. Season one just kind of putters along without really going anywhere in a hurry, and the stories do feel pretty random at first (although, like you said, they are refreshing and enjoyable). I felt season two had a lot more direction and the ending...oh boy. What an ending! I can't wait for season three!

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  37. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    OK, cool. Thank you!

KeyFin likes this.
  38. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    The Mandalorian was excellent! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not perfect, perhaps, but what is? That's the sort of thing Star Wars needs to do. Here's hoping for more of it!

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  39. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Im five episodes into Season 2 and still really liking it.

40. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    The Book of Boba Fett coming December 29th on D+

Unlucky 13 likes this.