1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars Episode VII

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Bruzer, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Just a Guy Staff Member Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    KeyFin likes this.
  2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    With Disney in the driver's seat, it means that they will produce a lot more over the next few years (similar to Marvel stuff). They might not all be top quality but I'll definitely go see them anyway.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Same . A pretty good movie every year is better than waiting five years and hoping to get a great one, putting all the eggs in one basket and raising the chance of huge disappointment. If star wars becomes like the MCU, I'll be tickled.

Ohio Fanatic and KeyFin like this.
  4. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    For me it's just like being back in that universe again. I swear sometimes I forget that I'm not still 8 years old in the theater because it brings me right back- the feelings and emotions are the same. There's not another franchise out there that feels as magical to me....maybe Star Trek and Harry Potter come close, plus the Spiderman movies usually feel "special".

There's just something amazing about reliving those universes that we first discovered as kids- I hope they make 20 more movies. And you're right, they certainly don't have to be awesome in plot lines...a big part of the awesome is the universe itself.

Ohio Fanatic and Unlucky 13 like this.
  5. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've honestly not been down on any of the four new movies at all. I've seen Rogue One three or four times now, and love it. I don't really grasp the notion that it or Solo are "unnecessary". Both are fun movies, and Rogue One especially is just really good and tells a cool story that we didn't have before. That's why I see movies in the first place.

Ohio Fanatic and KeyFin like this.
  6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin TX
    Without having seen Solo yet ...

I love Star Wars, but "fatigue" can be real, especially when they drop movies in a crowded summer. I just don't get to the theater much, and with Infinity War and Incredibles 2 (Disney cannibalizing itself haha), I couldn't squeeze Solo between them. One a year seemed fine, and the Christmas time period is generally slower and so it's easier to get out.

As for the movies themselves, I am really really really wary of them just churning out a bunch of formulaic biopic junk. Solo, Kenobi, Boba (God he is the most overrated ...). I would much prefer Rogue One style open/close stories that tell a new story. I was hyped for Rogue, but even though Solo interests me and I will see it asap once it is available in-home, I didn't really have a main trilogy or Rogue draw to see it.

7. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I guess I'm not as prone to fatigue because overwhelmingly, MCU, Star Wars and LOTR movies are the only one's I've gone to the movies to see in many years. I also don't watch a whole lot of fictional TV these days (drama/comedy), so the movies that I see are my primary entertainment. I look forward to every one, and my wife and I pretty much only get to three or four a year ourselves.

KeyFin and texanphinatic like this.
  8. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin TX
    Yeah it's less about number of movies and more about timing really. For me, Solo was just timed poorly. It doesn't help that my wife isn't really a fan haha. I'd have seen Solo over Incredibles, but I didn't win that one. :)

9. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm extremely fortunate that my wife was already almost as big a geek about these things as I am when we met. 14 years together has deepened the bond, but she already loved most of it. We have about a 80% overlap in taste, so things go well most of the time.

We've been getting our two girls (6 and 4) into it all as well. We haven't taken them to a non-animated/Disney movie at the cinema yet, but I'm thinking probably next year. We're all pumped to go watch Incredibles 2 though. My wife introduced me to the original, and its always been a family favorite.

10. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Solo was just as good if not better than Rogue One.

Zippy likes this.
  11. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic 30 years and counting Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    not sure I would have married my wife 17 years ago if she wasn't a fan of these kinds of movies. while she doesn't obsess like me, she enjoys seeing them in theatre.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  12. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I forgot to mention Jurassic Park- I'm a huge fan of that franchise as well! The first of the new series they made a few years ago was amazing- who would have ever though we could witness a T-Rex and a raptor duke it out with a super-hybrid? Just the technology alone to make that stuff come to life nerds me out in spectacular ways.

The Matrix- that's another series that sort of started all this amazing new tech. I can still remember the 1st time I saw Keanu Reeves dodge bullets or actually flew away......<poof> mind-blowing.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Unlucky 13 likes this.
  13. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I read Jurassic Park back in 1991, and thought to myself that if they could make it into a movie, it would be the most amazing thing ever. And they delivered. The first one was spot on, and terrific. The second and third ones got corny, but I did like Jurassic World a lot. Not looking forward to the new one as much.

Have you seen the Animatrix? A collection of animated shorts based in the Matrix universe, some approved as official canon, or at least in the spirit of the movies. Its excellent. I would love, love to see a prequel based on some of that work, and then other stories from the universe fleshing it all out and giving more background details than we got.

KeyFin likes this.
  14. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I haven't seen it but I will check it out. The new Jurassic World series is better than the original in my opinion just because of what technology allows. It loosely continues off the old series and the first one is my favorite- they essentially start making bigger, meaner alpha predators by splicing DNA because it brings in more park revenue. Their latest creation escapes though and then all hell breaks loose...that's just in the first few minutes of the movie. The dino vs dino fight scenes are spectacular throughout.

Edit- oh, I just re-read and you already saw the first new one. duh!

The 2nd movie is also very good but it lost a little of its charm...definitely worth seeing though. And then the 3rd one comes out later this week.

15. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    The one that just came out yesterday is just the second film in the new trilogy right?

Unlucky 13 and KeyFin like this.
  16. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Yup, it's the 2nd one. My kid went to see it and said it was really good- almost as good as the 1st one. The media is trashing it for a weak story line but it really comes down to big dinosaurs wrecking cities and each other- do you want to see that or not? So I'm definitely going to see it soon. =)

17. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  18. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Apparently, due to less than expected ticket sales and some of the fan backlash, they might not make a sequel to Solo, be it direct focusing on Han, or indirect focusing on another character like Qi'ra. Given the ending, that seems shocking. Perhaps we'll eventually get another movie set in that time frame before Episode 4 that will tell more of the stories.

19. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    danmarino and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  20. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    Just saw Solo last night and I really enjoyed it....right up until the very end where I was extremely disappointed. Darth Maul would have been dead already for at least 10 years.

*sighs*

21. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Apparently, because the cartoons are canon, he was somehow saved after being cut in half, and is now part cyborg. Dont ask me how or why, because I dont know.

22. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    So if you didn’t watch the cartoons, you’re lost. I just hate continuity conflicts in film...especially when it’s not explained

23. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yeah, I had to read up on it and get the outline of the story. Apparently, the director thought it would be a cool idea to throw in, because the movie took place in a previously unexplored part of time between Episodes 3 & 4, and could have allowed for something else to fill that time period with before we meet Luke and Leia. However, with the movie not making as much money as Disney wanted it to, who knows what will happen now. They've already scrapped the Boba Fet movie to do a show on their upcoming streaming service instead.

24. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin TX
    Just saw Solo myself and it was ... aggressively alright.

The Darth Maul thing didn't make any sense. I actually watched the cartoons (I'm a SW nerd, sue me) so I knew the whole bit about him still being alive (though it was kind of a dumb idea to start with, the cartoons did some fun stuff with it). Still, it just felt more jarring and confusing than anything else. Even knowing he was alive and coming it was just kind of like ... why?

I mean, they seemed to clearly want to set this up for a sequel, but this was supposed to be a standalone story, so ..... ****ing weird.

There were lots of jarring moments too. Like when the pirate queen took off her helmet and just stood there for a minute. Like, am I supposed to know you? Who the TF are you? Oh, I guess I'm just supposed to be surprised it's a girl and not some super scarred warlord I guess? The start of the film on Corellia was a mess but it picked up fairly well from there.

I dunno - it was enjoyable, but I am not disappointed to have missed it in the theater. Easily the weakest of the post-prequel movies. I probably enjoyed it more as a world-building movie than for it's plot or acting.

25. Galant

Galant Well-Known Member Staff Member

Apr 22, 2014