1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Start Pennington but believe that Henne is still the future: is that possible?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by hugoguzman, Nov 11, 2010.

1. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Yesterday, it was Sparano defending Henne. Today it was Henning.

And in terms of players, everyone from Pennington to Marshall has defended Henne.

But as we all know, talk is cheap.

My question is, can it really be possible to believe that starting Pennington now is the right move for the franchise while also believing that Henne is still the long-term future at QB?

Do the coaches believe this or is it just coach speak?

And do you as a fan believe this, or are you convinced that it's time to look elsewhere for a starting QB?

Me? I'd like the best of both worlds:
    -Bring back Henne
    -and draft a QB in the first round to hedge the Henne bet

Pandarilla likes this.
  2. SRM

SRM New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    I think so.. it just seems way too early to completely abandon the guy.

hugoguzman likes this.
  3. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Henne is still the future..... and the competitor inside Chad will be enough to push him w/o needing to spend a high draft pick to do so.

Starting Penny might be the right move now to keep Henning & Sparano from destroying Henne's career any further this season. Let him regroup, get a new OC, possibly a new coach, and a surrounding cast better suited for his needs so he can come out of the gates running in 2011.

Rocky Raccoon, jetssuck, SRM and 2 others like this.
  4. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I personally would have rode it out, asked Henning to retire and move on. If after this year Henne hadn't improved coming down the stretch then so be it, you move on.

I just wonder if this has met with relief or consternation within the locker room. And, that maybe all else will determine if Henne comes back to be anything at all. If its relief, then he finished sad to say, at least here.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Be honest with you Conu, I'd describe it as "surprise" more than anything else.

Based on:

-Pennington not being in Davie when the move was made
    -Hartline speaking in the present tense about Henne
    -Beast remaining neutral, there was not a hint of a move taking place on Beast's Tuesday show on Irvin's show.

Disagree about moving forward with Henne this year as I value the Irish/Sparano regime far more highly than most do, we could go decades without a Regime that can mine gems the way that they can.

If that means Henne has his feelings injured I am fine with it.

6. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    All I know is that your yanking a Developing QB for a guy that is 35 years old and has a torn up shoulder that I would be suprized if he lasted 3 games.

You can say all you want about Henne having a to be metally strong and say that he shouldn't let this affect him, but if you are objective you will realize that it does hurt your confidence. There is no way that it can't, if you are giving everything you have and you get yanked its going to mess with you head. Hopefully he can pull it together enough, to do well his next start and maybe get his confidence back quick. Otherwise I'm thinking this could do some real damage.

7. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    How do none of you guys remember what just happened to Sean Smith?

I bet you guys were singing the same tune then.

"Oh no Smith is a bust! He isn't the future! blah blah blah."

8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I don't know what I would have answered before today. But after reading what Marshall said, and even what Henning said I think Henne can still be the future. Marshall obviously believes in him, and that says a lot to me. I don't think Henning (who i take to be pretty honest, if not to a fault), would have complimented the type of person Chad is as much as he did if he didn't think he could still be something.

Brandon Marshall says Miami Dolphins will make playoffs despite slow start - ESPN

Edit: not sure why it comes up as video, i linked what I thought was an article.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not here, if anything people were not happy with Smith's tackling, most were really surprised that Jason Allen got the nod over Sean Smith but "bust" talk never really happened.

I do happen to believe Sean Smith is a better Safety prospect than a Corner Back.

As for Chad Henne, dude is tough, he'll be fine, he'll also learn that Competition never stops with Sparano.

10. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Who exactly was that then?

11. SRM

SRM New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    He's probably referring to people ahem.. elsewhere

12. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I think he still can be the future. The question to me is how much, if at all, does him sitting on the bench hinder his development?

13. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I have no idea what he's referring to to be honest.

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I believe we had a SRM-7 back in the day?

Ted Ginn OSU pic?:shifty:

15. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    I'm not referring to the posters in this thread per se. I am referring to the people in the forum itself who were whining after Smith got benched that he wasn't the future and a waste of a pick.

16. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Um Sean Smith is NOT a good safety prospect.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    They put him at Safety regularly.

Put him inside on Te's as well, he looks like he added about 10 pds.

18. SRM

SRM New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Hah nope, not me. Sounds familiar though :confused2:

Maybe it was SR7, or something.

padre31 likes this.
  19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    there ya go.

20. Robert Horry

Robert Horry New Member

Aug 8, 2010
    They put him at safety in pass defense packages. That doesn't mean hes a good safety prospect.

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    There was a lot of talk about Smith being a bust

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    "A lot"?

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    yes, a lot.

On this board at least.

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, I recall a couple of posters saying that, not sure about a thread about it, could be wrong, but it was not a real strong sentiment here.

25. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I won't say he's a bust, but I don't see him as a good option as a starting corner. His foot speed and short area quickness are weaknesses and his long speed is suspect as well. He's not physical enough to play safety and he's not a good ST player. Hopefully he'll develop a more aggressive attitude and stop all that damn tweeting.

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Tweeting takes little time and barely any effort.

When players don't talk they are robots, when players do talk they are bafoons. How can these human beings win?!?!?

27. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    The more I think about it the more I think this is good for Chad Henne. After the frustration and emotions disappear from losing his job he will understand it as well. He gets a chance to soak up information on the sidelines and in the meeting room and practice field. A chance to regroup and keep learning. We know Pennington wil continue to help him out, and we know Henne has the ability to play in this league. Also, the becnhing itself will light a fire inside him that can only help him further. Chad Henne is tough mentally. No doubt in my mind this will benefit him.

In the meantime, we get the perfect quarterback for our offense on the field to help us win games. Win all around.

28. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The answer is that we dont know, and I have no faith in this organizations ability to develop a QB.

hugoguzman likes this.