1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting to sound like Patrick Turner is the real deal....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CANEPHINS, Aug 5, 2009.

1. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    He has been pretty consistent through camp, but it sounds like he really started to make strides in the afternoon session yesterday.

Good news for all those that doubted us taking him in the 3rd round.

Some notes...

"Turner really looks good. A little later he beat Allen on a crossing pattern and hooked up with White for another reception. The big WR also blocked poor Ethan Kilmer to the ground on a running play, and the longshot safety got up and demanded an explanation. Head tilted, Turner no doubt told him he was just playing the game."

"Brian Hartline was the most active of any previous practice, catching three passes in one-on-one drills vs. the defensive backs. Fellow rookie Patrick Turner also continues to impress indoors. He beat Will Allen twice in the one-on-ones and one of those went for a TD on a deep pass."

2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    IMO, this is a great thing for us. Obvious, I know. But its nice to hear positive things about both receivers that we drafted that almost everyone has doubted. If both of these guys make it, and if one of them (my money is on Turner) really breaks out, our passing attack gets that much better, its great to hear he is off to a great start.. Of course, its only training camp. Hope he can keep it up through the preseason games too.

3. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Good things to hear, lets hope he keeps it up and turns into the next Larry Fitzgerald. Now THAT would be outstanding. :up:

dolfan7171 and Sceeto like this.
  4. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I'm very high on Turner. If he brings what he had at USC to us he'll be very good possession receiver for us...especially on 3rd down. He's not Larry Fitzgerald but he'll be physical and will use his body to shield the corners to make catches with his sure hands.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Turner and Ginn and Bess would be really nice starting lineup of wr.

The thing about Turner is, we have to wait and see what happens when he is jacked up going over the middle, he's huge but that also makes him a bigger target for the Polamuala and Adrian Wilson's of the NFL.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  6. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I think our WRs will suprise some people.

7. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Very comforting to hear our rookie WRs are doing well.

I'm kind of taking those two picks and using them to gauge how well our FO is at evaluating talent. Look how much criticism they got when they “reached” for these guys. If they turn out to be solid players, I will never question them again.

8. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    Turner's bread and butter is in the middle. He'll be the one jacking up Polamalu!:)

Ginn and Bess are growing well according to reports. A bigger, livelier Bess takes him that much closer to Henning's favorite receiver in a Steve Smith clone. If the game is truely slowing down for Ginn as Sporano suggests then he'll breakout like we all expect. It'll be a pretty exciting group to watch.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    We already know that we have some decent and underrated receivers in Camarillo and Bess. Ginn had a decent year last year and by all accounts is looking better this year. Now we have Turner getting rave reviews and Hartline seems to be doing well as well.

We have good receivers! We have a lot of good receivers! I'm not used to this. We don't just have 1 or 2. We have 5 potentially good receivers. And we still have Armstrong and London. I can't remember us being this stacked at receiver for a long time. And I think it all comes down to coaching. We've had talented guys but it's been years since we've had this much talent and a coaching staff who could make use of it and develop it. If Henne is as good as they think he is imagine what he's going to be able to do with those receivers next year. I think next year we will have the weapons to be a high powered air-attack offense. I'm really excited!

PhinsRock and dolfan7171 like this.
  10. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I am going to be the first and give him the nickname of "The Real Deal" IF he is able to keep this up through preseason and into his career.

Patrick "The Real Deal" Turner.

I kinda like the sound of that.

11. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Let's not go overboard here. You know who else got "rave" reviews this time of year? Derek Hagan.

Trowa, Springveldt, OCDolfan and 6 others like this.
  12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    bingo! its easy to get excited....but turner has yet to catch a pass in a scrimmage let alone a game......lets be careful fellas......jackin up polumalu and comparisons to fitzy is kinda ridiculous at this point.......i hope to god hes really good

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    :yes:

You know what a fan of Turner I am, but he has some distance to travel to be even a starter in the NFL let alone Fitzy or whacking Troy P.

And besides, if he compares to anyone it would be Anquan Boldin, only he is faster coming out of college...

dolfan7171 and SICK like this.
  14. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    To me the most significant thing about that is that he beat Will Allen twice. Its one thing if he is looking great against third or fourth string guys who likely wont even make the team, its another if its against our best corner, who is actually very good.

15. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    its 1 v 1.
    I love the fact that patrick is doing some damage vs Will, lets not forget that he has 4 inches on him at very least. I know its not an excuse by any means, but lets keep that in the back of our heads, especially in 1 v 1 drills.

16. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    to long

17. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Difference between Hagan and Turner though, is that Hagan has proven he was only a practice warrior. Turner hasn't yet so allow us to be excited! :D

Themole likes this.
  18. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Exactly. But excited is one thing. Concluding that he is "the real deal" is quite another. I'd place myself in the cautiously optimistic camp at the moment. I've seen too many training camp wonders fizzle, particularly at the WR position, to start grinning ear to ear yet.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    How about Pat "the cat" Turner?

20. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    pat, cat...turner.
    no.
    haha
    first I thought of white, then i thought of michael turner, and only then i thought if patrick turner.
    I think pat white is 'pat", while Turner will be "Patrick' easier for us, fans:up:

21. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Patrick Turner beat Vontae Davis today. 40 yard Touchdown pass.
    I like what I'm hearing about Patrick Turner. But I'm staying cautiously optimistic, like Frayser. Let's see what he does on Gameday.

SICK likes this.
  22. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Yep...Just got the "tweet" from Omar Kelly: "
    OmarKellyPatrick Turner just caught a 40-yard TD pass over Vontae Davis during tandem drills. OK, I'm starting to buy the hype finally."

dolfan7171 and SICK like this.
  23. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Believe it. Turner might win that second starting wideout spot.

24. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    one of the kids biggest strength is his abilty to shield, crouch and play in traffic. while still keeping focus..i wrote about his strengths when we drafted him, didnt understand the negative analysis for the value he presented in the 3rd...Watched him at USC. has deceptive speed as well.

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    His speed is fine Dj, in fact I consider him sneaky fast, but until he is lit up by a professional, I'll have some doubts about him.

Big guys just draw hitters, they tend to go for knock out blows.

Recall Anquan having his face broken against the Jets last season?

26. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

its not that they draw hitters, bigger WRs just do a lot more work in traffic where hitters are.

theres absolutely nothing wrong with being exciting by what Turner is doing right now, proclaiming him the next fitzgerald is another thing though

dolfan7171 and like2god like this.
  27. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't think that means much, to be honest. Yesterday, it was said that Vontae Davis is still learning how to play in this defense and he doesn't always know where to go so he's working off instincts and just playing the ball. That gets you beat quite a bit, especially Davis because I remember him doing the same thing in college and blowing coverage. Not to mention Turner has a good four, five inches on him.

like2god likes this.
  28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Agree with that, I see his upside more as a A boldin or P Burress, a big Wr who runs faster than they are timed and can make plays in traffic.

He is an exciting prospect, but guys like him are not hard to find, it's th guys who can have the wheels knocked off and still come back out for the next play that are hard to find.

Well, as for "where the hitters are"...tall wr's just prevent a better target for the Safety to light up, stretch out for a catch and that is 6'5 worth of sweet spot to wax.

It takes some special guys to do that job Nappy, stretch out for a ball, no the Db is going to hit you from a full sprint, and still hang onto the ball.

dolfan7171 and Nappy Roots like this.
  29. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I feel like with some of these bigger guys the difference is that wearing pads doesn't slow them up the way it does other guys.

30. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

agreed. but most of the time the smaller guys arent working where they can get lit up by the safeties, so sometimes the size of the target is irrelevant. but others your 100% correct.

padre31 likes this.
  31. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

how bout

patrick "the burner" turner

yes i know there's the whole michael turner thing but.. . so what?

32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think it is their strides and where they are on the field, a tall guy can catch the ball and their 4 or 5 strides just cover more yardage on the field.

33. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

I agree with this, but also with what Padre said as well. Big guys do work the middle more because they can take those hits, but when smaller guys do work the middle they tend not to draw those large hits. I have an explanation for this.

When you throw to a big WR you often have a bigger window of error. Those big guys are extending high up more often exposing themselves. When you see a small guy over the middle its usually a short pass or a slant where they arent exposed as much.

padre31 likes this.
  34. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    He's not going to jack up Polumalu. I was exaggerating but Turner is a huge guy who can take the blows.

He's no Derek Hagan. I never saw Hagan in college but I saw Sanchez target Turner on 3rd down conversions. Turner can get separation unlike Hagan when he played for us. Hagan never used his body well and Turner's hands are far superior than Hagan's. Hagan is a very poor route runner. Any comparison to Hagan would be insulting to him. Turner will quickly prove a lot of doubters wrong about being a late round prospect before the draft. Turner is legit...a Keyshawn Johnson type that Parcells likes.

djphinfan likes this.
  35. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I was always really impressed with Hagan's route running and his ability to get open.

I was very unimpressed with his ability to catch the ball.

dolphan117 likes this.
  36. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    It was never good enough to get seperation especially when he tried to cut to the middle of the field.

37. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I saw him do that a few times in preseason games.

His route running is the reason he is still in the NFL.

If I am to believe everything written about him, he isn't athletic, he can't run routes, and he can't catch. Seems like the only reason he is in the NFL is because he is 6'2".

38. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Good point. We all have to see if he can take a few hits. I think he will do fine and prove to everyone who doubted him when he was drafted. He may not be a Boldin or Fitzgerald. In fact, I don't want him to be them. I want him to make a name out of himself and do things that no one has seen. I have no doubt he will turn out to be one of the league's finest players.

39. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    Well in any case Hagan is long gone and Turner is the future here.

40. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Los Angeles
    My work colleague is a HUGE USC fan...

He goes to every game as a season ticket holder, going back a couple of generations in his family. He had nothing but great things to say about him when I told him that the Phin's drafted him. He is a big guy with solid hands who runs good routes. Maybe not this year, as I don't like high expectations for a rookie, but I suspect he is going to be big for us in the future