1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stat Nerds vs the World

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Mainge, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Go stats!

So Padre, why do you assume that us stat nerds are incapable of enjoying the game?

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    As a whole imo stat nerding has devalued MLB to much.

At the end of it all, game by game, these are athletic confrontations and acts, not stats.

3. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    But what it comes down to is production. Production that is best measured by stats.

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    A player who springs to mind in terms of stats v entertainment was Ozzie Smith

For yrs he barely hit his weight, but he was such a tremendous athlete at SS you would watch games just to see him make spectacular plays.

5. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    It's just how Padre was brought up growing up. He's older than we are so he's been trained to look at the simple stats HRs, RBI, AVG, pitcher W/L, saves etc. He either doesn't realize or doesn't want to adapt to the newer way of thinking and there are better stats out there to better judge player's real/actual value.

In a way Padre represents the "old school baseball writer's way of thinking" and would vote for Cabrera simply based on him winning the Triple Crown, while someone like you and/or myself are the "newer school way of thinking" where we look outside of the "box score" and look at other stats to tell us a bigger and deeper story.

My only issue I have with the old school thinking is that they automatically dismiss the newer school's thoughts instead of trying to learn and understand them. They need to realize there is a better way on analyzing stats, it's not just looking at the back of a baseball card anymore and what we are doing is what all 30 MLB front offices are doing in determining the value of players. There defense is to call us stat geeks or nerds or tell us to get out of our parents basement and stop looking at a computer instead of trying to read and understand what the stats are saying.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong as I didn't check out the stats to tell me what was right or not.

6. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The best example of "stat nerds vs. jocks" is Joe Morgan, IMO.

Joe Morgan HATES sabermetrics. Hates the way they're calculated, hates who they're calculated by, the whole deal. Then you look at Joe Morgan's numbers in his career and realize, Wow, this guy has great stats. Stats that people in the SABR community consider the best ever for a second basemen, and it makes you think "Why does this guy hate the idea of advanced stats so much?"

Baseball is religion. People that play/played the game object to any new scientific evidence that challenges their beliefs about the game, the same as do people who are of devout faith. They reject any notion that what they've believed their whole lives may not actually be accurate. That's how I view it, anyway.

Boik14 likes this.
  7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Jim Leyland was funny yesterday...

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I miss JoeChats. They were the best for pure entertainment and baiting value.

finyank13 likes this.
  9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I don't dismiss the stats based approach RF, to me though it is a bit to detached from the actual games.

To me, that detracts from the athletic side of the ledger in what is essentially entertainment.

A bit like not watching film, merely totaling demographics of those who go to see a given film.

10. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Guy hates the Yankees too....

11. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Stats are a recording of those athletic acts. What you're saying is the height of ridiculousness. "More accurate information has devalued the game"

And you still have yet to answer my question. As a stat nerd, why do you assume I'm incapable of appreciating baseball on a game to game basis? Why do you assume I am incapable of appreciating a well executed 'Daylight' play or wheel play, or maybe a difficult backhanded pick from a catcher with a sore thumb, or a well informed defensive shift of the RFer on a 2-1 count or a bases clearing opposite field double where the batter got his front foot down, stayed closed and kept his hands inside of the ball.

I freakin' love baseball. I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to teach the game to young ones, and even luckier still to be compensated for it. Guys like you saying that my being able to cite OPS, BABIP, or WAR, somehow devalues baseball is beyond insulting.

12. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I miss Fire Joe Morgan. Those guys were great. Hopefully they do another day at Deadspin.

Vengeful Odin and finyank13 like this.
  13. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I don't see that nor understand why it would. Stats are a function of output from that athletic side of that ledger.

14. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Oh god I hope so too. Nothing better than reading stories of Joe Morgan high fiving Red players in the clubhouse without any pants on.

15. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I understand what Padre is saying is a certain light. If people aren't watching the games and just looking at stats its one thing. But people are still watching too. The stats is the after thought mostly.

16. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Am I not going to get a response to this, Padre?

17. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Guess not.