1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

State of Franchise (6-4) 10 Days

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Nov 14, 2014.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    It’s been awhile guys, but hard to post with so many emotions going on during the season. But after last night’s huge win and 10 days off I thought it’s a good time to touch base on the status of franchise and my personal outlook for upcoming offseason.

6-4 is a hell of a better feeling than 5-5 and I’m sure Buffalo can attest to that this morning. This season I have noticed an improved team, and coaching staff. Yes, there have been some head scratchers at one point or another but I am slightly pleased with improvement and especially the adjustments made. Still, this season is promising but early enough for the **** to hit the fan a la 2013 final games. Plain and simple if we miss the playoffs I start fresh, next year.

Joe Philbin still isn’t my type of coach but I have seen some improvement with him but at some moments you really question his ethics and decisions. Bill Lazor has made this offense a much improved unit but still not where I’d like it to be. But, dealing with implementing his system with a new QB and the injuries that have occurred they have done above average. I really want to see improvement in downfield passing, and I understand that isn’t necessarily what our offense is but that development within this system really could put us over the top. Kevin Coyle has done a fantastic job with the defense and trusting younger players to fill in. Two position coaches that deserve praise are our interior line coaches Jon Benton on offense and Kacy Rogers on defense (how in the world has this guy not become a coordinator). Rogers DLine is even more deadly this year but his consistency is impressive. Benton has proved to make a lot of difference with his ability to interchange pieces and players and still keeps the offense functioning. The sacks are a little concerning but the Bills and Lions are impressive defenses.

To the players have to start with the most important one and that is Ryan Tannehill. To start the season it was rough as I noticed no improvement and maybe even regression and I can say after the Chiefs game I was done with him. But, for the first time he faced scrutiny and adversity about his title as starter and he has responded excellent in my eyes. His tenacity is noticeable and his demeanor as if he is running the show is as well. His comfort in the offense is getting better each week and allowing him to utilize his skillset is refreshing. Still, he is by no means a finished product and still has to finish the season strong. I want to see improvement in his deep ball as the arm strength is there but his trajectory and velocity seem to waver. Also, he needs to convert red zone opportunities to touchdowns. While his stats look great at a 17-7 TD/INT ratio but he has probably left 4 or 5 more TD’s on the field.

The running backs group has been improved as well. Knownshown Moreno really set the tone week 1 but his injury was a heartbreaker but again allowed someone the opportunity to step up. Moreno’s hard running style could come in handy this late in the year but Miller has been fantastic in his opportunities. Lamar Miller last year’s breakout candidate who fell flat, has improved more than any player on offense in my mind. He runs hard, smarter, and more patiently. My only issue with him is that he isn’t used enough… If they are trying to keep him fresh I can understand that somewhat but for goodness sake let the guy get 20 carries and see what happens it could be spectacular. Daniel Thomas is Daniel Thomas a roster spot which is unfortunate, but it is what it is. Damien Williams needs to get more touches. The kid is talented just unproven. But, every game I have watched when he gets touches he gets going. There should be no use for Thomas as long as Miller/Williams are healthy.

WR group is still the most overpaid group on the team. Mike Wallace in my mind has proved he has more heart than anticipated but it’s still a struggle to watch him in this offense. His speed is undeniable but him and RT17 just can’t connect deep and it’s not one person in particular as both make mistakes but I will say Wallace is open more often than not. Still, he is paid like#1 and he isn’t, but he is more than a 1 Trick Pony. Still, don’t be surprised to hear his name come up with his salary cap figure. Brian Hartline was a product of a system with a young QB and Hartline was the security blanket. In my mind he should still be playing but in no way should he not be rotated with Matthews/Gibson. Both of those guys show they can produce YAC and separate from DB’s something Hartline is terrible at. There is zero reason for him to be on this team next year with his price tag. Matthews in his opportunities has been fine but he is another play who I think needs more touches. Gibson has been replaced by Landry but it isn’t like he was a slot receiver only in St. Louis, I hope to see more of him but I don’t expect him on the roster next year. Jarvis Landry is the one who excites me the most. Truthfully, he is exactly the type of player we needed on offense. His heart and passion for the game are inspiring and he is a playmaker. In my mind all doubts on his speed are irrelevant as he has football speed that can’t be taught. Excited to see what he can do in years to come but he’ll need help.

TE:
    Charles Clay has been injured and that definitely has limited his performance but he is another player who has seen his number regress but still plays his a** off. We need to resign him but still need to address a tall red zone target and run blocker.

Dion Sims has been ok but if he could just be a better and more athletic pass catcher he’d be a real weapon with his blocking.

OL:
    Branden Albert had been a revelation and much needed influence. Sad to see his season end like that but what can you do but push on. I wish him a speedy recovery as he was having a great year.

Daryn College hard to really have an impression as he is the oldest OL and always played. He has been an upgrade to last year’s mess but personally I hope we stick with young OL to develop rest of the way out.

Samson Satele has been useful but not good, useful as he has kept the fort together but he is nothing more than a stop gap.

Pouncey has had a rough go at guard but one thing I love about him is he doesn’t complain just goes about his business.

Juwan James has been outstanding as well, and his versatility and play at LT last night was impressive.

Shelley Smith has been disappointing as I thought he’d be a starter.

Dallas Thomas is still rough but much better at OG.

Billy Turner…where you at man? I know you’ve been hurt but gosh darn I hope we can get that big man ready sooner than later.

The improvement has been noticeable but we still aren’t finished with this group.

DL:
    Wake/Vernon – amazing performance from both this year.

Wake is consistent as they come and no signs of slowing down… fantastic.

Vernon improving every year, and he is still 23, his ceiling is scary.

Starks great to have back and glad that they aren‘t overusing him save him for end of the year.

Odrick is a stud and needs to get paid. Mitchell has been a great addition and better one at that.

Shelby has proved useful at both DT/DE.

McCain has had his moment’s just wish we knew if he was more DL or LB, want to see more thrown on his player.

Jordan it was sad he couldn’t be here all year but have seen some good things. My one belief is he may never be a true DE and at this point you move on and put him where he should’ve been playing all along as LB. He stayed right in Calvin’s pocket in Detroit, and we have a glaring need at SLB.

Fede/Johnson young rookies who will develop.

Thankfully, this unit is young and promising but retaining Odrick is a key in offseason.

LB:
    This group had the most questions going into the season along with OL and it has held its own so far. For the disaster start losing 2 starters in 1st half of 1st game couldn’t have been much worse. But addition by subtraction was evident… Jelani Jenkins my most improved defensive player. One thing people who knew him knew he was athletic and dynamic. Questions about his size and strength and durability were there but so far in 2014 he has exceeded all goals. His emergence not only has been great for this year but for future year as it allows us to get rid of Ellerbe in offseason and his ridiculous contract. Koa Misi when healthy has been impressive in his first year at MLB. His aggression is a welcome sight after the ***** footing I saw by our Ellerbe last year. Wheeler is still garbage and I truthfully wish he wasn’t on this team. My only issue with this group is how in the heck can no one beat out Wheeler? Granted they’ve rotated him in and out more but Jordan/McCain are definitely better at this point idc if they have to learn on the fly at least they make plays. What about Jordan Tripp? Either way group has done better than imagined but still need that final piece to have a solid unit.

DB:
    Grimes = Stud.

Finnegan has proven to be useful both on and off the field. I think he veteran nature and tenacity are a welcome sight for the defense. There is definitely more edge especially in the secondary and it shows week to week. I think a large part is attributed to Finnegan and his take to sh** attitude.

Jimmy Wilson has played alright… nothing special but he’s been serviceable.

Louis Delmas has been a huge addition and you can see the difference from Clemons to him in terms of play making ability. Reshad Jones is ballin’ and having his best year just ashamed he missed first four games.

Will Davis has been a dud.

But, Jamar Taylor showed me something last night.

I hope Finnegan gets healthy by Denver but I hope to see more Taylor and if he emerges CB in early rounds in next draft become less needy.

ST:
    Sturgis is still a doofus and I really want them to bring in competition. He scares me to death when the game is on the line.

Fields hasn’t been himself this year.

Landry has been a big improvement from Thigpen last year.

Still, a lot of football to be played but looking to the future there are some key decisions to be made. My personal preference for our current players would be the following:

Re-Sign:
    Jared Odrick – 4 years
    Charles Clay – 4 years
    Louis Delmas – 2 years
    Derrick Shelby – 3 years
    Michael Thomas – 1 year
    Damien Williams – 2 years

Release:
    Dannell Ellerbe
    Brian Hartline
    Phillip Wheeler
    Brandon Gibson

Restructure:
    Mike Wallace – can’t outright cut him with his cap number but we should try to restructure deal

Free Agency:
    I like the team’s approach to last year’s free agency by doing prove it deals but there is some good talent in this year’s FA class and young talent at that.

Biggest Team Needs: WR, OG, CB, LB, RB, TE, and backup QB (no particular order)

QB:
    Jake Locker / Christian Ponder/ Tyrod Taylor / Colt McCoy - I look at this need as someone who can perform in this system if RT17 got hurt. The draft could be an option for a mid-round guy to develop but there are young QB’s available that fit the skillset and may be serviceable in disaster situation. Outside of Taylor all have started in their career and all provide athletic ability for this offense. Matt Moore is a great backup but too expensive and he isn’t ideal fit for offense.

RB:
    Not big on FA RB’s in today’s NFL. Miller has proven he can be focus back but still this system will work best with two healthy capable backs. Williams is a young option but to get a proven back and possibly one that provides a power/size element. A couple names I like: Frank Gore (yes, he is old but still serviceable and a Miami native. He also trains Lamar Miller); Darren McFadden (disappointing career but it’s been in Oakland, I’d love to see him in true read option and with better talent around him.) Stevan Ridley (yes it’s sleeping with the enemy but still he is a hardnosed runner and decisive two things I like in a back. Knee injury worries me but it’d be nice to steal one from the Pats). Chris Polk (you may say who but he 3rd back in Philly is, and we run similar system and he can provide size). The draft has a lot of good options.

WR:
    Looking at our success with FA vs. the Draft I am starting to sway toward the draft. This 2014 WR class is ridiculous (Watkins, Beckham, Benjamin, Cooks, Brown, Landry, Evan, Matthews, Robinson, and the list keeps going). 2015 might not be as deep but there are some very good options. FA actually has quite a few good ones as well. One thing we need is a physical receiver with size. Someone that goes up and get the ball. Dez Bryant would be ideal but Cowboys won’t let him leave and still think he is salty toward us cuz of the Prostitute question. Two WR’s who I would like as a piece to the puzzle… Michael Crabtree or Hakeem Nicks. Crabtree is beyond frustrated in SF and I would be too as there are too many weapons and no offensive identity there. Nicks has been a dud but he is 26 and in no way is he finished. Colts have a stacked WR core and loyal to Reggie Wayne and trying to develop rookies. Both are bigger body physical receivers. They would complement Wallace/Landry well next year. Still, prefer draft options to FA.

TE:
    A 100% healthy Charles Clay is our guy but would be nice to have a complement to him. Complement meaning a stronger in line blocker and red zone threat with size. Free Agency has some options that may be suitable. Jermaine Gresham and Virgil Green. Gresham hasn’t lived up to 1st round status and with Eifert a former 1st rounder and younger doubt they view Gresham as more than a commodity. Green on the other hand is limited in Denver behind Thomas and Tamme. He is young and large and would be interesting to pair in this offense.

OG:
    Looking at current options on roster we have a lot of young talent and some stopgap talent. First things first Pouncey is a better Center and hope we move him back there next year. My hope is that Billy Turner can become a starter in year 2 at LG and become the mauling interior OL we are deprived of. Two FA options but will be due to get paid are Mike Iupati and James Carpenter both are maulers from the NFC West and about to enter their prime.

LB:
    I want to go younger at LB for sure. I don’t want to waste on overpaying overrated veterans again. The NFL is changing and the need for more athletic LB’s is huge. My ideal LB is one that can play all 3 downs. No one does that better than Seattle’s, and funny thing is two of theirs are FA’s in KJ Wright and Malcolm Smith. My preference is for KJ Wright but he is really the only LB I’d pay big bucks in FA as I am intrigued with this year’s draft class. Also still think Dion Jordan could be answer to our SLB problem.

CB:
    Is the one position if we don’t plan on addressing in 1st round in the draft I most hope we turn to FA for the answer. Finnegan has been serviceable this year but truthfully I may cut him for a younger FA or to give Jamar Taylor more playing time if he proves himself. I resigned Michael Thomas with the hope he can return from injury as he was developing into a good slot CB that makes Wilson dismissible. Other than that Grimes is having a stud year but getting older. Still I view improvement early in the draft at other positions more dire than CB again. My personal favorites for our team: Kareem Jackson, Walter Thurmond, Chris Harris, Perish Cox, or Byron Maxwell. BTW the aforementioned are all 28 or under so not declining veterans.

Signings:
    Locker, McFadden, Green, and Chris Harris.

Post FA Major Needs:
    WR, OG, LB

Probable Pick Range: 16 - 24

Round 1:
    Cannot go two years in a row drafting a OL especially when you’ve invested the money we have. Also I don’t view Guard as a round 1 type pick and there are no standouts at the position to make it debatable. This year’s class isn’t elite but it does have depth so a trade down to pick up picks should be considered. Looking at our needs and possible players in round 1 at our draft position there should be quality WR or LB on the board. If it is me there is only one 1st round sure fire LB and that is Shaq Thompson out of Washington. He is as dynamic as they come and he’d be a great addition to our defense. But there are many other options in rounds 2-3 who could work. The real question is do you feel there will be the right LB or WR in round 2? More likely the LB is sitting there. You may think I am crazy but our offense lacks a true Alpha WR. Mike Wallace is a speedster and opens up the offense but since our QB struggles with deep ball he isn’t producing like #1 and he really isn’t. Landry is coming into his own but he is 5’11” and isn’t a burner he has his limitations but pair those two with a big body who can go up and get the ball would be ideal. At our position we will be lucky to sniff the #2 WR on the board and most likely will be looking at 3-5 group. Other teams who could possibly select WR round 1 (Raiders, Panthers, Texans, Vikings, Browns or Chiefs) still looking at those teams they have bigger holes elsewhere. Where we will sit we are looking at these possibilities (Kevin White, DeVante Parker, Jaelen Strong, Devin Funchess, Dorial Green-Beckham, and Sammie Coates). I’ll have no interest in Sammie Coates after watching him play this year I’d much rather wait for his teammate Duke Williams next year than Coates, sad thing is Coates will test well at combine and get drafted high without any refinement. Green-Beckham probably has most talent out fo the group but he was kicked out of Mizzou for issues and still don’t believe this team will take a chance on a player like that especially round 1. The two I am hesitant about at Strong and Funchess for different reasons. Strong has had a great career and great measurable but I struggle with Pac-10 WR’s out of college as they don’t get jammed often and struggle in NFL. Still, think Strong is a player we could trade back or possibly wait til round 2 on. Funchess is intriguing in the Jimmy Graham mold as he is more WR than TE. Still, he is raw and has too many drops for my liking. Wouldn’t hate him but not earlier than the mid 20’s of round 1. My two personal favorites are White and Parker. Parker I almost forgot about because of his injury to start the season but the kid is a stud. Many thought he couldn’t do it without Teddy but he has and trust me his QB’s are awful. White has benefitted from better QB play but is still just as good a player if not a better athlete. Both at 6’3” with good athleticism. Neither is the burner Sammy Watkins was last year but both provide a better jump ball threat. White may even work his way into the #1 WR on the board conversation so I doubt he would be around at our draft slot.

Pick: DeVante Parker

Round 2:
    After addressing a game changer on offense my point in round 2 would be to find that missing link to completing our defense. I look at our defense and we are two positions away from a complete product. Those are #2 CB and our 3rd LB. In Free Agency we signed a CB and hope to have Taylor progressing so I think we can wait. At LB we have Jenkins who stepped up this year but that just at WLB. Misi has played well when he has played but he has injury issues and truth be told he is upgradeable but he just got paid. The SLB position and Phillip Wheeler project has been a failed misery and we need fresh life in that position. Dion Jordan would be ideal as he is on roster and has shown he can play the position but he and the staff are intent on him as a pass rusher. So, with that said we need a stud LB. My ideal would be someone who is big, strong and athletic enough to play Middle and Outside if need be. Why? Well, here is the thing if Misi gets hurt I don’t want to see Trusnik as the only guy to do the job. Also, if Jordan becomes a SLB and our guy can have the capability to beat out Misi. Thompson will be long gone by our round 2 pick. Other potentials that should be gone: Denzel Perryman and Bernardrick McKinney. Perryman is the local product who would be a good feel good story but his size and weight gain worry me at the next level. One thing you have to say is he makes plays, and the last two Umiami guys have been playing pretty well for us in Miller/Vernon. McKinney is a personal favorite of mine as he is 6’5” and reminds me of a young Karlos Dansby. He runs in the 4.5 and can play inside or outside, he doesn’t have the spotlight that CJ Mosley had coming out last year but he may be just as good a player. Still, if a LB needy team is smart they scoop him up late 1st round. If he is on the board this needs to be your pick. But we had 2 1st round LB’s taken last year and I believe more teams have that need earlier this year. The 2nd tier and more realistic options for us come in the form of Eric Kendricks (Cal), Eric Striker (OU), and Kris Frost (Aub). Striker is the only one out of the group that would strictly be a OLB as he evolved from 3-4 OLB to 4-3 OLB and has thrived. He’ll also provide pass rush element that you can see from last year’s sugar bowl vs. Bama. Kendricks the brother of Mychal on the Eagles is just the athlete his brother is and maybe more of a playmaker. The family line is good and I think he could be a great addition to our team. Frost would have to declare as underclassmen but after starting on National Championship last year and again being a key piece of the defense this year he may be looking to make the jump like Tre Mason did last year.

Pick: Nick Frost

Round 3:
    Two major needs have been addressed leaving OG/CB/TE as possible options for this round. TE class is extremely weak and don’t see anyone who’d be on board worth a 3rd rounder. CB you can read above but you can never have enough CB’s. OG though may be the most serious cause the state of franchise would be an option of Smith/Thomas/Turner. My hope is Turner can be a starter but Thomas/Smith if they were good enough this wouldn’t be a major need. Too much uncertainty to not address at this point. AJ Cann (So. Carolina) and Tre Jackson (FSU) have been touted the top guards but neither are dominant. FSU has struggled more on OL than people expected and not sure if Interior line play is main culprit. One thing I’ve become a fan of is taking OT and converting them to OG. I’d love to see us invest in a OT and convert to a stud OG. One player who has disappointed who maybe should’ve come out is FSU’s Cameron Irving. I’d like to see him a converted project.

Pick: Cameron Irving

Rest of draft look for BPA but one player who I like at TE is Clive Walford. A middle round pick but he is 6’5” and has shown the ability to catch and block. He’d be a good project type TE but could really benefit for consistent QB play.

Mod Edit. This writeup has been re-formatted for easier viewing.

Sippi, mbsinmisc, Bpk and 11 others like this.
  2. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    A+ for effort. I think Denver's situation with the Thomas's is intriguing, they value Demaryius a bit more than Julius, if Julius were to hit the market, forget about keeping Clay save that money and make a big offer to Julius. if JT stays in Denver, Virgil Green could choose to leave for a bigger role on another team...we could be that team.

3. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Are you trying to compete with Todd, for most garrulous responses? lol...

Good info. Agree on Hartline. I'm interested in White and Funchess as well in this draft.

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    *******I love your posts, but they are always so hard to read, so I reformatted it for you.
    MODS, please replace his with this formatted version if zwave doesn't mind and then delete this post.**********

Sippi, Bpk, Agua and 3 others like this.
  5. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Done and the thread will be stickied for a while.

Fin D likes this.
  6. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    My draft/FA targets right now would probably be:

WR (Replace Hartline with big reliable target)
    RB (Miller is good, but we need that beast in between the tackles that finally knocks D.T. out of here)
    DT (Yes DT. Jared Odrick might get overpriced in FA ala Kendall Langford so that we pass. Starks has one year left on his deal and then it's probably time to move on from him.)
    OG (FA signing and a mid round draft pickup to compete with Turner. Move Pouncey back to Center)
    TE (Yes were still looking for that TE that can work the middle of the field)
    Lower priority would be corner depth. If Jamar can keep playing well then that becomes less of a priority.

7. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I don't like the idea of getting rid of both Brandon Gibson and Brian Hartline in the same season. Get one of them to restructure, preferably Hartline and let Gibson go.

8. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    This is a excellent write up.

Don't replace Gibson unless you know you have a improvement none of this trial bs.

One of my biggest wishes would be to see a FA or drafted HEAVY BIG hitting RB added we need a big bruiser to complement the running game that could help move the chains and punish in the red zone.

I like what Hartline has brought but there could be improvement there.

Wallace is overpaid but he can really stretch the field still. Much prefer his attitude over a Brandon Marshall. Only if Marshall could have been more of a team intead of a me player.
    We need the next Dez Bryant from the draft but with brains.

9. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    A big back is not a priority for me. Give me a back w/ some decent size and a nose for the first down or end zone and I'll be happy.

A big (tall) target at either WR or TE for me. I need at least 6'5" or some WR at 6'3" w/ some serious ups.

Obviously the OL needs some love so another solid pickup for either T or G, maybe spend a late rounder as well.

Kicker? Really want Sturgis to just turn it on and be solid and clutch. Has to hit a game winner or two, doesn't even have to be from way out. I just want to see him handle the pressure.

10. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Sturgis has a notable injury history that warrants looking elsewhere. There is no doubt the kid has a leg, and I am sure if I did the research, he has had his fair share of nail-biting kicks in college. He was well-regarded by his college HC, who wished he had him longer.

A looksie elsewhere won't hurt. But the team does need to know for sure this kid stays healthy.

IF he remains healthy, he is a shoe-in. If not, give him the boot. Puns intended…

**To the OP: thanks for a helluva write-up!**