1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

State of the Dolphins, Ross speaks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sure there is.

Rosen, like all QBs, is a human being and as such is unique. Being unique means there's likely no such thing as one way that will work for all. Rosen, for all we know, maybe the kind of person that needs to learn the game form the bench first to maximize his potential.

Rosen's ceiling and his ability to reach it, has little to do with our QB plans this coming draft or likely the next.

2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    True of False- the last season Tannehill was mostly healthy, we were a 10+ win team.

Your argument is that because he only did it once, it was unlikely to happen again...and maybe you're right. But statistically speaking, you showed us that RT didn't vastly improve that year, which leads me to believe that those were team wins. I personally believe that it's not just the QB...it's the whole freaking team. RT's great stretch of football also benefited from the best line play we've seen over the past decade- coincidence? Nope. Most of those guys were out for the 2017 season as well with injury or traded/replaced.

Again, I'm not saying Tannehill = Pennington = Rothlesberger. What I'm saying is, we had two very solid seasons that weren't repeated. Why? What changed? That's what really matters here because it's going to tell our GM what to prioritize the next few seasons. The only way to learn from mistakes is to actually figure out what those mistakes were.

3. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Did you actually see his first four plays yesterday? Sack, incredible precision TD pass with some velocity (dropped), beautiful floating TD pass to the opposite side (dropped), thirty yard precision strike across the middle (slightly overthrown). Those were three awesome throws we haven't see in well over a decade, and that sack was because he was focused on throwing a 4th one.

Maybe he's not the guy as you said, but Rosen undeniably has incredible arm talent and solid pocket awareness. There's a lot more needed to have a complete QB but good Lord, the kid can throw the pigskin.

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    WADR, you're kinda all over the place. I get it, losing this badly makes people irrational, but I don't feel like we are in the same conversation.

5. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    False. Tannehill started 16 games for the last time in his career (so far, technically) in 2015 and we won only 6 games.

Also.. you look at QB's like Roethlisberger or so and they usually get injuries at some point in the season preventing them from starting all 16 games. In Roethlisberger's case, 11 out of 15 seasons he's failed to start all 16 games, and he just got injured in 2019 too!

So having injuries that prevent you from starting all games is quite common. In that sense, 2016 and 2018 count for Tannehill.

The Guy and texanphinatic like this.
  6. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Weren't we talking about Rosen's potential? The best the offense looked all day was in his first three plays.

I don't disagree with you about drafting a QB next season...I was simply saying that when someone else offers 3 or 4 1st rounders to pick first, Grier will likely take it unless he thinks Tua is that generational player. From what I've heard recently, the Fins are more interested in Lawrence anyway. And if we do take the picks over Tua, then we'll need a starting QB in 2020.

7. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Again, I think you're missing my point here...this is not solely about Tannehill; it's about the 2016 season and why we didn't repeat that success in 2017. RT going down was one of many factors.

I probably never should have mentioned Big Ben at all. Like Fin D said, intentional losing makes people think irrationally.

8. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Fine, let's forget the references to Pennington and Roethlisberger and just ask the question of why we didn't repeat 10-6. It's called random variation around the mean, which in our case for a long time has been 8-8. We had an average QB and an average coach, and even when you looked at injury metrics like "total games lost" we were average lol.

The reason we need to get that franchise QB is so that we can raise the "mean".. you know, from 8-8 to maybe 10-6.

texanphinatic and The Guy like this.
  9. The Guy

The Guy Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    And also so the team doesn’t simply just get beaten handily in the playoffs when it reaches them with nothing but an average quarterback, and it likely faces a team with at least a good defense and a better quarterback. What good is going 10-6 when all it does is enable you to reach the playoffs and get beaten immediately?

cbrad likes this.