1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steelers Go Bargain Hunting, Come Away with Great Buys

Discussion in '2010 GM League Forum' started by sports24/7, Mar 10, 2010.

1. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The Steelers went into Free Agency with only a handful of cash after mamking most of their moves through trade. While the they may not have had as much cap room as some of the other teams though, they certainly made their money count. GM Sports24/7 had specific areas targetted and with some thrifty spending filled some needs and added some good depth.

They got things started by slapping the franchise tag on NT Casey Hampton, seemingly a good move considering the lack of true nose tackles available. Reached for comment, Hampton had this to say,
    They then brought in under the radar WR Nate Burleson for only $600,000. Burleson didn't get a lot of media attention in Seattle, but put up very good number in 2009 gaining over 800 yards in only 12 games. (With production like that one might think he could get a contract closer to $5 million a year from a team like say the Lions :wink2: ). Burleson gives the Steelers a very good top 4 at receiver alongside Hines War, Hakeem Nicks, and Mike Wallace. At his press conference Burleson seemed happy to be in Pittsburgh,
    Possibly the Steelers biggest addition is OG Harvey Dahl. He was the most expensive signing, but at $2.2 million he was still a bargain. The Steelers have spent the entire offseason improving their offensive line trading for OC Nick Mangold and LT Andrew Whitworth and now feel that the addition of Dahl and the return of Chris Kemoeatu and Max Starks, who will be moved to his more natural position on the right side, they have one of the best lines in football.
    Dahl, who had a brush up with 49ers head coach Mike Singletary said he knows his reputation and feels it suits him.
    With the loss of Willie Parker and the release of Mewelde Moore, the Steelers were in need of a runningmate for Rashard Mendenhall and to fill that need brought in HB Jerious Norwood. Norwood, who is known as being one of the fastest backs in football can seemingly score any time he gets the ball in his hands and his yards per carry (5.3) and yards per catch (9.3) are reflective of that. He also has had some success returning kickoffs and could take over the job from Sefon Logan.

The Steelers also signed veteran FB Tony Richardson. While Richardson is up there in age, he is still one of the best in football making the All-Pro team as recent as 2007. He is a four time Pro Bowler and a two time All-Pro and is just one more weapon the Steelers have brought in on offense.

With a need for a starting tight end, Donald Lee was also signed. Lee is known as a pass catching tight end and has some starting experience. The Steelers could still add another TE through trade or the draft, but say they would feel comfortable going in to the year with Lee as the starter.

On Special Teams, they re-signed P Daniel Sepulveda and brought in K Joe Nedney. Both are considered in the upper tier at their positions.

They also brought in a couple of quarterbacks who were high draft picks with some upside who will battle with Dennis Dixon for the backup and third string job in Brodie Croyle and John Beck.

Asked for his assessment of the free agency period Sports24/7 had this to say,

2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Harvey dahl is a cut blocking king. Nice signing at a reasonable rate.

sports24/7 likes this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nice work. I would have gone after Dahl if his price tag wasn't high for me. I settled for Chris White, whose played both G and C.

sports24/7 likes this.
  4. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    You Dahl stealing SOB haha

sports24/7 likes this.
  5. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Yeah, Dahl was my top priority. I was actually pretty surprised the bidding didn't get as high for him as it did for some of the other guys. Pleasantly surprised though. You have to love a guy that is willing to go at it with Mike Singletary, I don't care how old Mike is.

6. thats what she said

thats what she said ^ohhhh yeahhhhhh

Jan 11, 2009
    alaBAMA
    what

sports24/7 likes this.
  7. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Haha, good catch. Meant to say LT Andrew Whitworth. I'll change that.

thats what she said likes this.
  8. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    Just keep Mangold at LT and put Rex at center

EDIT: NM, youre not even the Jets haha