1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stephen Ross expects to make the Playoff

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finserg, Sep 10, 2012.

1. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    I read an article were they said he expects the Dolphins to make the playoff or Changes are on the way.

About time he speaks his mind.

I think the guy is really reaching high, A winning record would be enough for me to think were on the right track :yes:

2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Got a link to the article?

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Proper ettiquette to post a link so that people know what you're talking about.

4. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
  5. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
  6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Either Ireland or Philbin misrepresented our chances to Ross this year (bad idea, if that's the case, as you've set yourself up to disappoint the owner)... Or Ross is extremely unrealistic, and foolish enough to tell people how great he thinks the team is.

Did the second coming of Dan Marino in the form of Chad Henne not teach him anything?

If Ireland is setting Ross' expectations this hi in order to keep his job, he is doing the whole franchise a disservice, as it will lead to him making desperation moves at some point to attempt to fulfill his unrealistic promise.

I doubt Philbin intimated these expectations. He recently said that what he expects out of this team is for them to look betterq in Dec and Jan than at the beginning of the year. That's a good, realistic goal.

If Ross is the one who keeps expecting this then he is out of touch with reality, which will lead, IMO to good football people avoiding taking jobs here. It can also lead to more instability.

I increasingly wonder if the issue is Ireland or Ross and am not sure, but something seems 'off' in the perceptions Ross has.

7. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

It might be that Ross seen enough ,Some of the players picked up this season are not even playing .

8. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    :sidelol:

Has Ross seen our roster?? He seriously expects to make the playoffs with the talent Jeff Ireland has put together for Coach Philbin and company? Wow. He's going to be really disappointed then. Hell, most of us here, the diehard fans would just expect at least 5-6 wins from this team given our current situation, and the owner wants the playoffs??? I can understand that should be his expectation, and as the owner it should be. However, he needs to take a look at what's going on a bit closer here in order to set those expectations realistically.

Bpk likes this.
  9. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    What else is he supposed to say? I hope he expects us to make the playoffs at the very least. I also hope he realizes it is extremely improbably given the current state of the team.

10. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Does he have realistic thoughts on this? Because realistic thoughts wouldn't allow a grown man to ever believe this team has, or ever had, a shot at making the playoffs this year.

Bpk likes this.
  11. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I think the majority of it has to do with Ross. Stability starts at the top and I still don't think he knows how to run an NFL franchise. I'd heard as recently as early 2011 that morale was very low inside the building as a result of Ross' micro-management of the franchise. Some of the specifics were baffling to me. One can learn a lot in 18 months, but he continues to appear oblivious to his surroundings and continues to put his foot in his mouth. I doubt he even realizes the impact of what he said (regarding the team making the playoffs).

My opinion is that ultimately, we'll just need to get lucky in hiring the right football people. Huizenga made mistakes in this arena, but he was highly respected around the league and the franchise itself was viewed as very stable. He got every coach he wanted and players/media didn't diss the organization. That's all changed under Ross.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Jeff Ireland is caught in a bear trap of his own making. In order to convince Steve Ross to be OK with Tannehill starting they had to convince him that Tannehill was truly the best guy. With Matt Moore struggling, that was an easy case to make. Remember that Ross was a believer in Matt Moore. He kept referring to Garrard as basically "the other guy" or "insurance policy" or not even referring to him at all. He's got friends around the league telling him Moore is an underrated player and he can win games.

The problem is that if the Dolphins start losing a bunch of games Jeff Ireland is going to want to convince Steve Ross that it's because of the rookie QB. Tannehill's going to be a great QB one day but right now he's a rookie and rookies struggle. That's what he'll want to say. I've built a good team except for the QB position which will be fine long term. That's Jeff's hope.

But there's an obvious flaw in that line of thinking because if Tannehill (the struggling rookie) is better than Matt Moore, then what Steve Ross was previously buying into (the 6-3 finish with Matt Moore at the helm) will have been proven a mirage. And if that's the case you're left coming to grips with the fact that Jeff Ireland had not really put together a good team in 2011, nor has he put together a good one in 2012. That's when Ross has to start pulling out the microscope and seeing just how effective Ireland has been at acquiring good players. When that process begins, the countdown on Jeff's tenure will have officially initiated.

And the other thing that really hurts Jeff Ireland right now is what is going on with the Jets. Quite a bit of their scoring was extra curricular (interceptions, special teams, etc) but they still scored 36 points of offense with MARK SANCHEZ and TIM TEBOW. I mean, if that continues and the Jets offensively look great then all the blame that was being cast on Tony Sparano will end up looking a lot weaker.

13. Bpk

Yeah, my gut tells be Ross is hurting this organization. Not a Ross fan.

PSG likes this.
  14. Bpk

It's becoming increasingly likely that Ross will call Ireland on the carpet this year. I'm just not sure if Changing GMs doesn't set the whole franchise back another five years.

Will a decent GM want to inherit a Head Coach, system and QB from Ireland, or would they reboot? I almost think it would be worse if a new GM kept Philbin and Tannehill and tried to mesh philosophies.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    There's a good case to be made that the franchise is already set back 5 years because of the way it's built. But I don't tend to think that changing a GM sets anything back. All you have to do is start acquiring better players and that process can be accretive immediately. Especially when you've got five picks in the first three rounds of the Draft, and $50 million in salary cap space to work with.

ssmiami and schmolioot like this.
  16. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    [video=youtube;EvGJvzwKqg0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvGJvzwKqg0[/video]

Don't bogart that joint, my friend
    Pass it over to me
    Pass it over to me

Roll another one
    Just like the other one
    You've been hangin on to it
    And I sure would like a hit

Pass it over to me
    Pass it over to me

Rolllllllllllllllll another one
    Just like the other one
    That one's just about burned to the end
    So come on and be a real friend

Pass it over to me
    Pass it over to me

Everybody sing along this time

Pass it over to me
    Pass it over to me

17. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Yeah, for all my dissapointment with the state of the franchise, this is actually a pretty attractive job next season, particularly if Tanny shows anything at all.

A good GM will look at the roster that can basicaly be remade compeltely without many commitments for next year, potential franchise QB, 3 top 40 picks very likely, at least the base of a good defense.

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I don't understand how that is an attractive plus while at the same time not counting as a positive of Ireland?

19. Bpk

If you build on the coaching system in place, sure. If you change, then the players you have often don't fit your new offense, defense or just aren't the 'type of guys' that coach likes and wants.

Instead of filling holes, you start creating holes. In those cases it's a five year turnover before you havea solid, talented roster.

That's a major problem... Because fans of a losing team won't cut their team that many years slack... So premature pressure to fire the GM and Head Coach is likely to build. A frustrated fan base of a losing franchise can perpetuate its own instability.

20. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Well if you think about rookie QB/coach combos, in the past few years we've had the Ravens, Falcons and Jets all make the playoffs with them. And 49ers might as well have been since Alex Smith didn't do much before Harbaugh. So it can't be the best excuse. And even with that, the talent level shouldn't have decreased from 2011 overall, which it seemingly did.

If the right GM made a bunch of smart decisions there's no reason a team can't go from a poor season into a solid one, with possible playoffs. We've seen it plenty of times. Happens every year it seems.

21. Bpk

The more I think of it the more this bothers me mainly because it can lead to instability which keeps our franchise crappy.

Unrealistic expectations often lead to firing GMs or HCs before they realistically could have built a great team. If Ross has a pattern of unrealistic hopes, that bodes poorly for anyone coming in here as a GM or HC.

I think smart GMs and HCs notice that and avoid this situation.

And even IF it's Ireland who is pumping Ross full of these We Can Be A Playoff Team NOW expectations... I'm sorry, but Ross should be smart enough to form his own opinion. I mean, the FANS know better. If Ross isn't cut off from the entire world, he must get other sources of information. If he is so dumb as to blindly believe what Irish tells him then it's still Ross' fault...

Except sources say Ross does NOT have blind faith in Ireland.

That leads me to believe Ross is not swallowing an Ireland sell-job (if Ireland is even trying to sell high expectations to begin with).
    No, instead what's happening is Ross is the source of setting this expectation.

But maybe he is not honestly expecting the Dolphins to make the playoffs...even a little. Maybe he is sending a message to Jeff Ireland that sets the tale for Ireland being fired at year's end. A preemptive "These have been the expectations all along... If you can't meet them this year, you know I'll be disappointed (and you'll be gone)"

If its a message to Ireland, or to motivate the HC, then it puts more pressure on them to win NOW and put developmental stuff lower priority.

That impatience from the owner can only hurt a team this bad. You don't go from **** to Superbowl overnight. I think this stems from Ross anD I think it corners the team into an unwinnable situation.

22. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Cocaine is a helluva drug.

23. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'm guessing that the Jets scoring output raised an eyebrow from Ross yesterday. It may have even raised both of them. It's only one game (against the Bills) but still, it's the same offensive philosophy.

24. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Becuase we were supposed to be contenders by now under Ireland. And I'm not going to get into 2 years v. 5 years with you. I know where you stand.

It's a great situation for compeltely starting over. Ireland doesn't deserve that opportunity to start over IMO mostly because the reason we have so much cap space is that we haven't had any desire to sign any of our draft picks long term yet. That's not great

PSG and Bpk like this.
  25. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    He shouldn't say anything at all right now.

Bpk likes this.
  26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Then why should I listen to you?

You were wrong about Parcells. You just flat out ignore Ireland didn't have say for 5 years but only two. I mean you've proven nothing more to be stubborn and irrational when it comes to the Dolphins.

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    What he means is that the mess Ireland created has an expiration date that is coming up and so it can be removed/re-tooled easily, without a bunch of collateral damage. And no that does not speak well of Jeff Ireland.

PSG likes this.
  28. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I don't give a hoot if you want to listen to me or not.

Armando Salguero posted an entire timeline of who made what picks and Jeff Ireland was picking players as far back as 2009 without oversight. Then Parcells came back into the picture in 2010 after he was dissapointed with the results, but he still authorized the Marshall trade, which went against his so-called philosophy.

You are the one who doesn't want to listen and wants to absolve Ireland of all blame for everything prior to 2011. Even if Parcells had final say, Ireland was still putting together a draft board, he was grading these players that suck.

29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    This should not be understated. Any offensive success the Jets have reflects poorly on Steve Ross' thesis behind what went wrong in 2011 and how to fix it. He became convinced the problem was not the players being supplied but the coaches coaching them. So he switched the coaches. Now those coaches are coaching an offense that just scored literally more than 10 times what we scored on offense this week (34 points versus 3 points). This despite a QB situation everyone loves to make fun of, a headache WR that they kept (Santonio Holmes) whereas Jeff Ireland unloaded our own headache WR (Brandon Marshall), a terrible right tackle situation and a rookie 2nd round pick at WR that we passed on in order to make our own right tackle situation better than theirs. I mean, when you break it down, it really is kind of damning.

That, as you say, should raise both eyebrows.

Dolphins1Beatles and dolfan32323 like this.
  30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    LOl. How in the hairy could Parcells come back and take over if Ireland had final say. That simply makes no sense. Ireland had to follow Parcells blueprint, Henne is proof. You ignored the reasons Parcells was a joke before we hired him and now you're ignoring simple truths about Ireland.

The stupidest part about all of this, is if insane hate freaks just focused on the time Parcells wasn't here, like last year, you'd have a stronger argument.

31. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I love how you keep bringing up that I supported Parcells. Yeah, I did. I ended up wrong, big deal. At least he had an NFL pedigree. I didn't spend motnhs defending Cam Cameron like you did. And yes, I remember all of those posts by you, which were very similar to your posts defending Ireland. I can hope that you have at least admitted your error on that one.

And to bring up Henne is ridiculous. Matt Ryan fit the blurprint too, they were just scared to pull that trigger, Ireland chief among them. And by the way, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with that blueprint, it's a decent enough starting point.

32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I defended our offense the first four games of that year and blasted our defense. I said our players were mutinous before Cam stepped into the building. So you might to correct what you're saying a bit.

I bring up Parcells because you argued this vehemently he was the right call for us. That was the last time you were this animated and you were wrong.

Of course, Henne and Ryan fit the blueprint. Tannehill, Moore, Garrard, Devlin were not. Guess what?

33. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Yup, the media vultures are already swirling around Ireland, after one game, lol...

34. Bpk

Agree, with one proviso.

I'd first want to see the score of the Dolphins vs the Bills, and of the Jets vs Texans (or another solid playoff team).

Then I'd compare offensive outputs.

35. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    If you'd like me to go back and pull your posts defending Cameron I will. I don;t think it's necessary but just admit you thought he deserved more time. It's a valid opinion, stand up and own it.

And when was I so vehement on Parcells? We hired him, I approved of the hire and that was that. When it was clear he had left us a steaming turd I changed my opinion based on the new facts. I don;t see this as something to be ashamed of. And by the way, Moore, Garrard and devlin all fit the Parcells mold regarding number of starts, seniors, etc. And Devlin was undrafted so who cares really. And I doubt the prototype is used when discussing a free agent who has already played in the league.

36. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    There are articles saying Irish over ruled Parcells way back in Dallas, so gimme a break dude. Its his players. Stop ignoring the articles that refute your ginger lust.

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Of course. I'm not saying Week 1 is the conclusion of the study.

38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Pull up all you want. My stance wasn't that he should get more time, but that he never had a real chance.

We argued quite a bit. That's why i remember your stance.

Those guys do not fit the blueprint. The point being without Parcells Ireland wasted no time in bringing in QBs he liked and not ones that fit the blueprint. That points to what I'm saying.

39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Then what did Parcells do exactly?

40. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wow, with Tannehill at Qb?

Ross is delusional, I could see it if MMoore were the Qb and we still had Marshall, but now?