1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steve Fossett's plane found, no body yet...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Paul 13, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    This story has kept me riveted for over a year. How could someone so experienced in flying crash his plane into the side of a mountain? I suppose we don't know, I mean he could have had a medical issue himself or a mechanical issue with the plane, but I've always thought something was strange with this one (there was speculation a couple months ago that he faked his own death). I suppose a bear/or other large animal could have devoured the remains and we'll never find the body. What do you guys think? Here's the article:

FOXNews.com - Sheriff: Wrecked Plane Found in California Mountains Is Steve Fossett's - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

2. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i was fascinated by this story as well.... fact is even the most competent pilot can have issues. there could have been equipment failure, some loss of power, he could have ejected prior to the crash due to some failure or misunderstanding of a failure, he could have had a heart attack while flying, anything.

but still captivating to watch this stuff. :up:

3. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Well Murphy always seems to find a seat in these go it alone journeys.You know if something can go wrong it will go wrong.

The best laid plans of mice and men can go wrong because humans in their arrogance
    underestimate the power of Murphy .

4. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    this has interested me as well. how do you lose a plane in California. It's not like he crashed in the ocean... the Yahoo article I saw said animals will take care of the bodies after a couple days, so I doubt they ever find all of him. Still, it would be weird if they don't find any evidence of a body.

5. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    didn't you watch Snatch? pigs can go through a body in hours, maybe a day if you include the bones! :lol: .... so you can imagine a year in the mountains with all the wild fauna up there.

6. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    A bear probably dragged him into a cave for the long winter, hibernating period. :shifty:

7. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Just to update this for the moment... possible human remains found at the crash site:

FOXNews.com - Search Teams Head Back to Fossett Crash Site After Discovery of Bone Fragments - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News