1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still can't make a decision on Cam Cameron

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by njfinfan, Dec 8, 2007.

1. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    http://www.miamiherald.com/1190/story/329550.html

Dolphins fans are divided into two opposing camps now. There is the camp preaching patience and understanding that has determined this rancid season was a long time in the making and coach Cam Cameron is no more at fault for today's problems than are the dwindling number of fans sitting in the stands.

2. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY

Then there is the noisy, angry mob that accepts no excuses and makes no apologies for wanting Cam Cameron fired.

Can Cam, they say. Immediately, if not sooner.

I'm with the angry ones. Not very noisy though...I can't bring myself to care enough to be noisy until Huizenga shows that he has the slightest bit of competence to run an NFL franchise.

3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No one argued against Johnson, Wannstedt won more games than he lost, and Saban tucked tail and ran.

Really hard to blame Huizenga here when he hires the perceived best coach available and gives him free access to Scrooge McDuck's money vault.

4. billsfaninpeace

billsfaninpeace New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Well I will say from looking at the whole thing Cam looks to me like a rookie coach on a team with very little talent.

Not to mention a Def that for some reason has regressed.

I think he is doing not to bad. Seems to have found an all star in the second with Satale.

Sorry though I think he took a chance on Ginn and only time will tell if that will work out for him. With so much other talent on the board I think this could have been his first blunder

5. PhinsPhan122

PhinsPhan122 New Member

Dec 8, 2007
    If we lose one more close game where his decision making and game management cost us the game, he will be gone.

6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    We have yet to lose a game because of clock management.

7. Pjack

Pjack New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    This is assuming, of course, we are even close enough in the rest of the games where a Cam decision was our obvious downfall. In my mind the Jet game was the final straw. To get our @ss handed to us at home by arguably the second worst team in the league is inexcusable. I was on board to keep him until I watched that performance.

I long for consistency as much as the next person, but it seems obvious that Cam is not a capable HC. Awful team preparation, bad time management, total lack of team heart and some of the most curious playing calling I have seen goes beyond the "rookie" coach excuse and makes me question his capability to run a team.

If he is retained AND he is successful I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong. Call me a skeptic after this years' fiasco.

8. Fla Phin

Fla Phin New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm still waiting to be impressed by his play calling and his coaching. So far there are more questions than answers.

9. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

I agree with you. I don't know why HWH is taking so much heat; first he hired the coach that EVERYONE wanted (Johnson), then took Johnson's advice and hired his top assistant, then hired Saban, who was also perceived as the best guy available. I thought Cameron was a mistake at the time, but then, the guy I wanted (Chan Gailey), didn't exactly do wonders at his job this year, either.

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    True, as I recall, it was down to three people or so, P. Carrol said no thanks, Dom interviewed for the job, then Cam.

I'm inching closer to biding Cam adieu, at this point in time though, it won't do very much good to fire him right now.

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its what people do when they can't (or won't) comprehend something. They go up the ladder until they can't go higher and that's where their blame ends. Its like blaming tobacco companies for getting lung cancer, even though you've known all along it'll give you lung cancer. It works in reverse to, "Hey, I caught a TD, thanks God."

12. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Wrong. I blame Huizenga because it's his responsibility. He took bad advice to hire Wannstedt as the head coach and Spielman as the GM. Not only that, but he KEPT them around long after it was clear they were both incompetent. Hiring Saban I will give him a pass on, because everyone thought that was a good idea, but hiring Cameron was a bad move, given the fact that this team was at a crossroads and this year was going to be a difficult one even for a proven, experienced coach.
    Huizenga has trusted the people he hired way too much, and it has killed our team.

13. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I'm on again off again about Cameron.

A few things I know about Cameron...

Even with injuries you can still win one football game in a 16 game season. If you can't then your team has quit on you, or you as a coach don't know how to manage a team to a win. Even if your team is filled with veterans that know you're rebuilding and are down, it isn't an excuse to not win a single game.

The offense at full speed with Ronnie Brown and Trent Green were vastly improved from last with Cam Cameron calling the plays. The offense has been depleted with injuries and the trade of Chambers.

The defense has gotten much better production with Cam Cameron putting his two cents in there.

I like Cam Cameron is a person and is his strategy for the most part with the offense. Unfortunately, I believe he is in the wrong position. I believe he is best utilized as an offensive coordinator. Can you imagine a team that is coached by Bill Cowher with Cameron as his assistant on offense? Or maybe the personnel department topped by Bill Parcells? I know that's too many big names and too much, but hey it's a pipe dream.

It'll be interesting to see how things turn these last 4 games with Cameron assuming more overall head coaching duties and leaving the calling to Mularkey and Capers. Maybe things will change, I don't know. I don't want to can the guy yet because he really hasn't gotten a fair shake with the injuries. But again, you can't go 0-16 in this league and expect to not have any ramifications.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The only mistake Cameron has made is keeping Wannmoron to long. It is a mistake this years team is still paying. You admit this year was going to suck no matter what. Cameron is the first coach with the nuts to rebuild the team and you're mad at him for it. So, because you're mad at him and Wayne's his boss than its Wayne fault. Your position on this matter is simplistic.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  15. CirclingWagons

CirclingWagons Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Give him a fair shot, say...another 2 or 3 years

16. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    No, my position is realistic. I did not admit that we were going to suck this year no matter what, I said this year was going to be difficult. No, we weren't going to make the playoffs, but a good coach and GM, making the right personell moves in the offseason could have made us a respectable team, a team hovering around .500 even. Hell, even a halfway decent coach could have won at least ONE game by now.
    We have had a major FO problem ever since 99 and that is the responsibility of one man: Huizenga.

17. Rick 1966

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Heh. Yeah, you Bills fans would love that...you'd have two guaranteed victories a year for 3 more years. Sorry, no.

18. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    When things go wrong, everything goes wrong. When things go right, everything goes right. We need a break somewhere down the line.

19. FinFn1372

FinFn1372 New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    When Cam first came in I don't believe he had rebuilding in mind.The signing's of Porter and Green aren't signs of a team rebuiding.Cam was forced into rebuilding due to injuries,he was the one that guarenteed Wayne a playoff birth.In my mind Cam hasn't done anything different than our pass coaches,and if he doesn't get a win,than IMO he should be gone at years end.