1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stitches' 2009 NFL Mock Draft; Updated with Dolphin Mock*

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Stitches, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Stitches' 2009 NFL Mock Draft; Updated with Dolphin Mock; 2nd update- RD2!*

Following sports24/7's lead:

While not a guru by any means, I consider myself a big college football fan and a fairly knowledgeable NFL fan. So I figure I will throw my hat in the ring that contains most NFL fans and their mother.

1. Detroit Lions – Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia
    Seems to be the way Detroit is leaning, though I’d go a different route (Smith or Curry). I hope for Lions fans that this guys works out better than Joey Harrington.

2. St Louis Rams – Jason Smith, LT, Baylor

After “missing out” on Jake Long last year, St Louis gets their replacement for Orlando Pace. While arguably not a better prospect than Long or Joe Thomas, it’s really hard to gauge since they didn’t come out at the same time. Even with that, I can’t see how anyone could go wrong with this guy.

3. Kansas City Chiefs – Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

It’s tough to say what KC will do. They could go a number of ways, but I really think they work on their OL here and focus on making sure they can protect Cassel. Having Monroe will either give the chiefs a pair of high quality bookends or allow Albert to play LG where he excelled at so much in college (next to Monroe at that).

4. Seattle Seahawks – Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

I think the Seahawks will take Hasselback’s heir apparent because the injury issues over the past couple years have them in a situation where they really need to look for a guy to be the guy of the future. Because as it stands, the future might be right around the corner.

5. Cleveland Browns - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
    After missing out on their apparent #1 choice (Sanchez) they opt for choice #1a. Crabtree will come in and give the offense some more weapons as they search for an identity as questions abound: Will Braylon be traded? Will Stallworth be in jail? Who will be QB? Who replaces Winslow’s production? Will the rat stink up the joint again?

6. Cincinnati Bengals – Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
    The Bengals have some real needs all over their team, but perhaps their biggest need is an upgraded pass rush. Geathers and Odom combined for 5.5 sacks last year as their starting DEs. That is simply unacceptable.

7. Oakland Raiders – BJ Raji, DT, Boston College
    The Raiders have needs on the OL, at WR, and S. They arguably need some talent on the DL as well, and Raji is too intriguing for Al to pass up after having Tommy Kelly dropping egg on his face considering the contract Al gave him.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars – Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

It’s really a crime to see the #2 player in the draft fall this far, but Jacksonville recognizes that despite their huge need at WR this is just too good a player to pass on. Curry could possibly start at any of the 3 LB spots in Jacksonville, and I have no idea that Del Rio would love to get a guy like this to help him keep his job.

9. Green Bay Packers – Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
    The Packers cry a little as they see Curry snatched up just before this pick, but are relatively easily consoled with the addition of Oher to help protect their young QB. While they have a need at OLB with their conversion to a 3-4, the talent at OLB makes it difficult to pick one over another.

10. San Francisco 49ers – Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State

Given that Freeman is sitting anxiously in NYC for his name to be announced, Coach Singletary feels a bit sorry for him and drafts the young man simply giving him a chance (something Singletary wanted himself last year). Seriously though, Freeman appears to be poised to go in the top half of the draft if you believe what’s been said by many, and given how the draft has unfolded so far this seems like the most logical choice.

11. Buffalo Bills – Andre Smith, LT, Alabama
    After shipping off their premiere LT to the Eagles for a pauper’s ransom, the Bills OL is effectively in shambles. In an effort to remedy that situation the Bills select Andre Smith who by all accounts can be the most talented player in the draft, if only he tried his best.
    It would fit in well with the Bills who seem to be trying, but sometimes you just have to wonder how hard?

12. Denver Broncos – Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
    Although I am sure they prefer Sanchez with this pick, the Broncos should be ecstatic about getting a guy who should by all account be a cornerstone of their 3-4 for years. If Jackson can be anything close for the Broncos as to what Richard Seymour has been for the Broncos, they’ll be in some good shape as far as remaking that D goes.

13. Washington Redskins – Everette Brown, DE, Florida State

With a big need at DE, the Redskins effectively have their pick of the litter at this point and it comes down to a coin flip between Maybin and Brown. Let’s hope this pick turns out better for Washington than their 2nd round pick from last year was.

14. New Orleans Saints – Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
    The Saints secondary has been hit quite hard by opposing offenses over that past few years and with the signing of Jabrari Greer in FA, the return of Tracy Porter, and now the addition of Jenkins, whether as a CB or S, the Saints should somehow at least be able to form some semblance of a competent secondary.

15. Houston Texans – Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State

I know I keep hearing about how the Texans will take one of those white USC LBs, but frankly they need someone opposite Mario Williams to help with their pass rush and Maybin is their guy. They’ll have to look for LBs later in the draft, but hopefully Maybin is the perfect compliment to help ease the attention away from Williams. Hopefully Williams will be able to teach Maybin a thing or two when it comes to defending the run as well.

16. San Diego (super-)Chargers – Brian Cushing, LB, USC
    Though it may seem like the Chargers LB corps is pretty strong, they could still use some help on the inside and Cushing is really too good of a player to pass up here. If Merriman comes back 100%, this could be a real scary LB corps.

17. New York Jets – Jeremy Maclin, WR, Mizzou

The Jets have a few needs, but with Coles departure they have a big hole at WR and Maclin can give them an injection of youth and speed. And with the contract issues with Leon Washington, Maclin might also give the jets a replacement in returns should they not be able to reach an amicable solution in the future.

18. Denver Broncos – Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

The Broncos give some serious thought to Knowshown Moreno, but their defense just needs so much work, especially with their upcoming switch a 3-4. Rey will give the Broncos an energetic and athletic hitter in the middle to pair along with DJ Williams. Hopefully Rey can learn some control and play recognition from DJ.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss

It comes down to Michael Johnson and Peria Jerry, and Jerry inches out with the selection. Tampa needs to improve against the run, and Jerry will help them do that.

20. Detroit Lions – Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
    The Lions can go a number of ways with this pick, but adding a big, athletic pass rusher like Johnson could really go a long way to helping that team turn it around. They will have to look to helping their OL later on, and should be able to find a quality guy as it is a deep T class.

21. Philadelphia Eagles – Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
    Despite Westbrook being one of the best in the biz, they really need some insurance in case he gets hurt more seriously than he has been in recent seasons. Moreno is a great talent, and shouldn’t drop this far, but Eagles fans will welcome him with open arms.

22. Minnesota Vikings - Eben Britton, OT, Arizona

Rather than taking a chance on getting Troy Williamson redux (DHB), the Vikes opt to help solidify their OL. Britton should be able to come in and start at the RT spot for the Vikes, and help them continue having a dominant run game.

23. New England Patriots – Darius Butler, CB, UConn

Arguably not the Patriots biggest need, but the Pats appear to be extremely high on Butler. 4 months ago I never would have guess Butler would be the 2nd CB taken in this draft, but I would not be surprised to see it at this point. And you just know this guy will work out for Bellicheck. I hate those ****ing Patriots.

24. Atlanta Falcons – Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State

And the sun continues to shine bright on the franchise after having to endure the aftermath of Vick and Petrino mishaps. Pettigrew may be the best TE to come out since Shockey, and Falcons fans rejoice as Ryan gets another solid target to throw to and another great blocker to allow Turner and Norwood to run wild.

25. Miami Dolphins – Robert Ayers, OLB, Tennessee
    I want to see a WR here. I want to see a CB here. I want to see a pass rusher here. Those are the things that Jeff Ireland has in his head when this pick rolls around, and eventually he succumbs to his mentor’s habit of taking the pass rusher first, and the outside positions later. Ayers' beauty is a bit in the eye of the beholder, and maybe Ireland really sees a gem here. Our Demarcus Ware? Probably not. But Ayers could definitely be as effective as Matt Roth last year as only a rookie.

26. Baltimore Ravens – Clay Matthews III, LB, USC

The Ravens took a bit of a hit this past FA with the departure of Bart Scott. While not quite the same player as Scott, I’m sure Ozzie Newsome will make the most of this pick. Clay is a high motor guy who should be able to learn a lot from Ray and hopefully make enough plays to make Ravens fans forget about Bart sooner rather than later.

27. Indianapolis Colts – Evander Hood, DT, Mizzou
    Seemingly a match made in heaven, Hood has everything the Colts look for in a DT. The commissioner will need to ice his hands after this pick because the card got up there at such a blistering pace.

28. Buffalo Bills – Jared Cook, TE, South Carolina
    A continuing trend of valuing some players above where many people seem to, the Bills make Cook the 2nd TE off the board in Rd 1. The Bills hope the addition of Cook will give Edwards another target and provide the same kind of spark to their offense that Dustin Keller gave to the jets last year.

29. New York Giants – Hakeem Nicks, WR, UNC
    Arguably the Giants biggest need is WR, and if they can’t finagle a trade for Braylon Edwards the Giants opt for Nicks. Highly productive in college, Nicks should be able to come in and provide a big target for Manning though and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him put up Dwayne Bowe-like numbers as a rookie.

30. Tennessee Titans – Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
    Titans fans once again scream for a WR, but their voices are ignored as the Titans select the most physical CB on the board. Davis should challenge for a starting job in training camp, but at the very least will see a lot of time on the field as he works into the regular starting rotation.

31. Arizona Cardinals – Chris “Beanie” Wells, RB, Ohio State
    Wells drops due to injury concerns, and Arizona snatches him right up to pair him with second year runner Tim Hightower. They could also look at a C here, but there should be a quality one at their 2nd pick and Wells has too much talent for them to pass up.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers – Eric Wood, C, Louisville
    The Steelers really need a lot of help along their lines, and Wood is just the type of player they hope to get on their team. Likely capable of starting at G or C, Wood will surely provide some much needed youth and talent to that OL. Ben Roethlisberger gains 5 life points with this selection.

Round 2
    33. Detroit Lions
    - William Beatty, OT, UConn
    34. New England Patriots - Louis Delmas, FS, Western Michigan
    35. St Louis Rams - Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
    36. Cleveland Browns - Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
    37. Seattle Seahawks - Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina
    38. Cincinnati Bengals -James Laurenitis, MLB, Ohio State
    39. Jacksonville Jaguars - Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
    40. Oakland Raiders - Darius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
    41. Green Bay Packers - Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia
    42. Buffalo Bills - Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma
    43. San Francisco 49ers - Larry English, LB, Northern Illinois
    44. Miami Dolphins - Sean Smith, CB, Utah
    45. New York Giants - Conner Barwin, LB, Cincinatti
    46. Houston Texans -William Moore, S, Mizzou
    47. New England Patriots -Jarron Gilbert, DE, SJSU
    48. Denver Broncos - Paul Kruger, OLB, Utah
    49. Chicago Bears -Mohamed Massequoi, WR, Georgia
    50. Cleveland Browns -Patrick Chueng, SS, Oregon
    51. Dallas Cowboys -Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
    52. New York Jets -Donald Brown, RB, UConn
    53. Philidelphia Eagles -Shawn Nelson, TE, Southern Miss
    54. Minnesota Vikings -Max Unger, C, Oregon
    55. Atlanta Falcons -Marcus Freeman, LB, Ohio State
    56. Miami Dolphins -Darry Beckwith, ILB, LSU
    57. Baltimore Ravens - Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio State
    58. New England Patriots - Andre Brown, RB, North Carolina State
    59. Carolina Panthers -Jairus Byrd, CB, Oregon
    60. New York Giants -Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma
    61. Indianapolis Colts -LeSean McCoy, RB, Pitt
    62. Tennessee Titans -Jauquin Iglesias, WR, Oklahoma
    63. Arizona Cardinals -Andy Levitre, G, Oregon St
    64. Pittsburgh Steelers -Victor "Macho" Harris, CB, Virginia Tech

Complete Dolphins Mock:
    1. Robert Ayers, OLB, Tennessee
    2a. Sean Smith, CB, Utah
    2b. Darry Beckwith, ILB, LSU
    3. Cedric Peerman, RB, Virginia
    4. Trevor Canfield, OG, Cincinnati
    5. Don Carey, CB, Norfolk State
    6. Cornelius Lewis, OT, Tennessee St
    7a. Vaughn Martin, DT, Western Ontario
    7b. Dudley Guice, WR, Northwestern St

2. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    You know your not as lucky as these other posters because I am going to call you and complain! grrrr

Great mock bro

Stitches likes this.
  3. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I prefer Nicks over Ayers obviously, however I think Ayers is a project that has all the tools to be a great OLB in the 3-4.

Stitches likes this.
  4. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Nice work thanks

Stitches likes this.
  5. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Updated with rd 2.

6. B.Sebo

B.Sebo TV Mastermind

Dec 16, 2007
    West Arkansas
    Way to completely change your Phins mock . . . I am not making you a new sig. lol.

7. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    One is what I want to happen, one is more what I think will happen.

8. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    I love you.

Stitches likes this.
  9. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

Good work, Pete. I really hope we can get Smith where you have him. I just don't think he will last that long.

Stitches likes this.