1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stitches' "It's too Early to be Likely but Nevertheless" Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Stitches, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    1. Jason Pierre-Paul, OLB, USF
    2. Morgan Burnett, S, GT
    3. Thaddeus Gibson, OLB, OSU
    4. Dennis Pitta, TE, BYU
    6. Joe Pawalek, ILB, Baylor
    6. Marcus Easly, WR, UConn
    6. Chris Scott, OL, Tennessee
    7. Josh Hull, ILB, PSU
    7. Stafon Johnson, RB, USC

I don't know that we'll wait so long on an ILB, but it's obvious we need some more talent/youth at the LB spot. I think Gibson and Pierre-Paul could go a long way to helping us at OLB. Both are extremely athletically talented and both could still possess a lot of untapped potential. Pawalek is a hard worker who always seems to be around the ball, and is surprisingly good in coverage though it may not always look the best. Josh Hull had a very good senior year, but he was still overshadowed by more heralded players like Sean Lee and Navorro Bowman. Hull offers some potential to turn into a starter down the road, and with some bulking up he could be better vs the run, but I find him to be pretty good in coverage right now. At the very least Hull could continue to help on STs if he makes the final roster.

Morgan Burnett offers a lot of potential at S as he is strong vs the run and has proven to be pretty good in coverage, though he showed he was too aggressive at times with his first move (which allowed him to be beat deep). I wonder how much of that had to do with him needing to help in run support so much. If Clemons can come through and earn a starting spot, the addition of Burnett could really help push our secondary towards one of the best in a few years.

Dennis Pitta would give us a TE who can stretch the defense and work the seam very well. He's proven to be sure handed and has the ability to be split out wide at times. He'd compliment Fasano very well, and according to his coaches has all the tools to become a well rounded blocker.

Marcus Easley is a bit of a one year wonder, but he has the NE connection that our FO seems to like, and he also has very good size (6'2" 215) and supposedly 4.4 speed. After walking on at UConn he worked his way to the starters spot, and I'm sure that kind of hard work endears itself to this staff.

Chris Scott played adequately at T for the Volunteers, but he may be better inside in the pros where he won't be isolated very much, though that's not to say he can't play T. I think his size (6'4" 330) gives him a lot of versatility which is something the staff looks for. (note: I missed how he performed at the East West Shrine game).

Finally Stafon Johnson could end up being a real steal later in the draft. After suffering a terrible injury this past year, the staff got plenty of acclimation with Johnson at the Senior bowl where I hope he made a good impression. He always ran well in rotation in the previous years at USC, and could really be a good back to work in with Ronnie and Ricky (and be good insurance for 2011 when Ricky retires).

2. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    very solid draft. the only critique I can find is that Burnett and Pitta probably dont last to our spots. I like the Gibson pick and am surprised he isnt in more of the discussion on the these boards. Not a fan of Hull but at that draft spot he is worth it. He is smart but I just see him having a hard time in the NFL physically

3. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I agree, but I feel that way about most defensive players coming from PSU as rookies. That's why I said down the road. I though Hull looked pretty good in coverage this year, and I doubt he can make an impact as a rookie, but like you said in rd 7 it's just a roll of the dice.

And if Pitta isn't there I'd take Quarless or even Peek. :lol:

adamprez2003 likes this.
  4. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Probably should take a DL (potential NT) instead of Hull. Oh well, there's always next time.

5. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I'm not sure they would go with so many early entries, especially since they coached the Senior bowl.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Mock Drafts right now are tough to do for several reason:

1. Free Agency
    2. Waivers
    3. Simon's notes on who they have chatted with are not out yet.
    4. Trades
    5. We have no idea who they liked and did not like at the Senior Bowl, though I suspect if one flipped through the Senior Bowl Roster one could make some educated guesses.

I'm a fan of any mock draft that is not absurd though like "Berry, McClain, Spikes with our first three picks".

7. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm not sure they would either, but I'm not sure they wouldn't. Vontae, Sean Smith, and Brian Hartline were early entries too. I was trying to go with who I imagined would be available at our pick and who would help most given our current roster/needs.

8. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Like it Stiches, I'd be pretty happy with this...although I dont think Johnson goes that late, somebody will fall in love with him, and his story and draft him earlier...

9. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    To be honest, had no idea what I would see when I saw thew thread.
    The ONLY pick I don't like is the very first one.
    Aside from that, I LOVE IT!!!

Stitches likes this.
  10. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Griddles 2010 Mock Draft:
    1. Tim Tebow
    2-7: Who cares?

:shifty:

:tongue2:

11. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Ah, you have Jacksonville's draft board down perfectly.

12. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Love JPP, Burnett, Pitta, and Hull.

Gibson is not an exciting pick but he seems like a solid candidate for the strong side.

I do not feel that Pawalek and Easley will solve any problems at inside linebacker and wideout.

Not a fan of the Chris Scott pick. I believe there are better options such as Chris Marinelli, Sergio Render, Reggie Stephens, or Cord Howard.

Stafon Johnson could be a steal. I also like Keith Toston and LeGarrette Blount in the 6th or 7th round.

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cord Howard is awful IMO. He's so far from being an OG in this league IMO.

I hear you on Marinelli though. Probably the ugliest style of play by a Tackle you'll ever see but he gets it done.

Big Red likes this.
  14. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I don't know. He had very good production this year and supposedly looked real good in Texas v the Nation practices. He's 6'2" 215 and ran a 4.39 at UConn's pro day last year.

I'm not saying he's the answer, but if he's there in the 6th I definitely think he's worth rolling the dice on.

Big Red likes this.
  15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He's also a solid blocker, has good hands, vision in the open field and is tough. He's a guy who was a walk-on and only made the team because he worked his *** off on blocking. He's got a lot of potential IMO. I'd take him in the sixth.

Stitches likes this.
  16. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Stitches,

Very well thought out and insightful draft. Thank you for posting it.

17. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Wes Bunting actually has Easley in his top 5 or 6 wide receivers overall.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Just looked at it. I like Easley but I don't know about him over a guy like Blair White or Eric Decker. Damian Williams is also a pretty good prospect, though I hate how he catches the ball. I also don't think Easley is in Tate's range but I do think they share some similarities in their game. All those guys have produced.

EDIT: Just saw Carlton Mitchell up there too. Mitchell's pretty talented but he's so inconsistent IMO. He shouldn't be that high.

19. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Carlton Mitchell makes me think of the two recent Central Florida wide receivers that went in the draft Brandon Marshall and Mike Sims-Walker. Both were considered to be big receivers with potential but had some negative to their game. Carlton plays at a different directional school in Florida, but his size and game remind me some of both of those guys.

Personaly, that's why I'm looking for in a wide receiver. I want someone that I can get in the 3rd to 4th round area that has the measurables but may be lacking something at this stage that can be taught. Brandon Marshall, Mike Sims-Walker, and Vincent Jackson were all those kinds of receivers.

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Mitchell is incredibly inconsistent, however. I'd rather have Marcus Easley despite his rather small production, to be honest.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Problem with Easley is he has not played football very long, can he run routes and escape jams at the LOS?

I like him and think he is a good value but his bust factor is high.

22. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He's graded as a sixth rounder. Bust factor is high on every late round pick.

Stitches likes this.
  23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    How many footballs are there to go around?

That is the issue to me, with P Turner being a non factor he will have to have some run time, Ginn as well, Julius Pruitt is in there, were does he fit into the rotation at Wr this training camp?

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't think Pruitt is a factor here. He's a PS guy. Patrick Turner will have to compete just like everyone else IMO. I realize he was a third round guy but you can't wait on these players to develop unless they are contributing in some way, which Turner is not. If you wait on players to develop without bringing in competition, it's going to bite you in the rear IMO. Same goes for Ginn.

25. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    What about Gettis?

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He's a freak athlete but he needs a lot of work and has a load of potential. I've got more tape on him to watch. IMO, he's somewhere around there with Easley, probably a round or so higher though.

Stitches likes this.
  27. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I think mocks are a bit of a stretch right now but reading the thread I wanted to add my 2 cents.....I doubt he runs 4.4 and he does not play 4.4...also there are a ton of big guys or guys that that can run a bit or both fitting in to the 6-7-PFA range......much depends on how they run if they even get drafter but there are probably 120 legit 6-7 round or PFA prospects and it depends on who/what you are looking at......guys like, Ryan Wolfe, David Gettis, Nyan Boatang, Moe Brown, Max Komar, Chris McGaha, Kerry Meier, Chris McClover or Mike McCoy...if I take a WR 6 or 7 I look at Gettis, Wolfe or Armani Edwards myself...but hey that is just me.................

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Pruitt could be expected to take the Anthony Armstrong role this preseason.

And they are not just going to ditch P Turner, he'll get another shot as well.

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Pruitt won't be anything more than a PS or camp fodder IMO.

I didn't say they would ditch Turner, I said he would receive competition.

30. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We'll see, there is no more risk in giving Pruitt or T Johnson reps than is in drafting a Easley and giving him reps, but there are only so many Reps to go around.

The higher the investment the more resources that will go into developing a player, in my view.

31. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I completely agree. However, that doesn't mean he won't be pushed, which Turner needs because he's clearly not been able to get it done in any aspect of the game for this team.

32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I dunno about P Turner Alen, his time as a football player on the national level has been characterized by "underachiever" being attached to his name.

Both at USC and in Miami.

There is an old saying "You cannot wake a man who is pretending to be asleep"

33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    It's why you bring in competition to see where he stands. :)

Killerphins likes this.
  34. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    agree dolphins arent done giving turner some reps
    who is to say you cant develop him
    too many times ive seen him called a bust
    ill sit on the fence here though
    competition is a great thing

35. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I don't see why he won't run a 4.4-4.5 at the combine. He shouldn't be slower than last year, and like I said he ran a 4.39 at their pro day last year.

I only got to see like 2 UConn games this year, and honestly didn't pay a lot of attention during either. You may be right that he doesn't play at 4.4 speed.

36. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Just for the record here...I am not saying he will not run 4.4, I just do not see pads on 4.4 speed..............I do not know what kind of surface it was, if it was with a 120 mph breeze at his back, downhill 20 degree grade or with a rottweiler with AIDS chasing him...just do not know......I do know I personally do not see 4.4 speed on the field..............

37. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Easley is an interesting prospect. The more I read about him the more I believe you might be right about him. He does have a lot of potential.

One thing I do not like. He does not return kicks or punts. The wideouts I like in the later rounds are Antonio Brown, Freddie Barnes, Emmanuel Sanders, and Trindon Holliday because they are all excellent return men.

However if Easley could eventually develop into a #1 then he would be a much better pick than any of the guys I mentioned.