1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strait Trippin.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Aug 11, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    " Into the flood again, same old Tripp that was back then.."

See if anyone gets that reference.

He likes the middle, we like him in the middle.

I'd rather have Misi in the middle over Ellerbe, but I'd rather have tripp over Misi..

mi2cents, derek, Larry Little and 6 others like this.
  2. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Alice in Chains.

HULKFish and DPlus47 like this.
  3. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    you da man Den.

DolfanTom likes this.
  4. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I really like what I seeing from him. He has very good overall instincts. I think he can be a very reliable and solid overall defensive player. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on him during the next few games.

5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Any chance you can link the source of what you post?

Triggercut likes this.
  6. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I view the LB corp at this time as one of the weakest units in the entire NFL. Saying Misi will be a better MLB than Ellerbe isn't really a complement on the play of Misi. Ellerbe was terrible as a MLB last year and the best we can expect from Misi this year is a very average MLB, at best.

Hopefully sometimes during the regular season, Tripp and some of the other young LB's can win starting linebacker positions on this defense. Otherwise I think this defense is going to continue to have trouble with their run defense and in any pass coverage which requires a LB to cover a back out of the backfield or a TE. Brady, Rodgers, Manning, and many of the other quality QB's the Dolphins will be facing this year have to be smiling to themselves when they think about throwing short passes against these LB's.

EverFin likes this.
  7. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Start his *** in place of Wheeler against the Bucs to get a good look...and show Wheeler where he stands.

mi2cents, SICK, HULKFish and 2 others like this.
  8. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I want no parts of Tripp in the starting lineup. Let him look good vs other teams scrubs so we can keep the feel good story going for a little longer.

Alex13 likes this.
  9. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    What number is he wearing? 54? :shifty:

10. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    If the vets cannot tackle or grasp the system, get someone in there who can. I think Tripp can be a gamer. Funny, Seth Lobato was asked who was the toughest defender he played against in college, and he said Jordan Tripp.

Larry Little and padre31 like this.
  11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wheeler and Ellerbe are not covering themselves in glory so far.

Would not like moving Misi back, if it is best for the D then do it, and from my pov, Wheeler is really more of a pass rushing/Nickel lb type, as long as he has been in the league, things already should have slowed down for him. Ellerbe looked like hot garbage v Atlanta

12. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    If he was graded out as the team's 4th best player on Friday it is probably time to try him out as the starting MLB, move Misi to replace Wheeler and see what happens. It's early enough in preseason to try things.

toto likes this.
  13. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    AIC (Layne Staley days), and LB talk... two of my favorite things! Tripp seems to have good instincts, and he is faster than Trusnik, not that that is saying much. Start Misi this year and see where it goes, and groom the kid unless he blows up this preseason ala Zach Thomas. Misi had a descent game, with that sack, but the missed tackles... Wheeler is just a liability to me. I've never been hot on Wilson either. Looks good one play, and a complete goof on the next.

djphinfan likes this.
  14. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Watched Brock Coyle play the other day. Seattle had him starting. Apparently Bobby Wagner is nicked up. Honestly, I'm not so sure we got the best Montana LB.

15. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    We didn't, but hopefully Tripp can replace misi real soon.

16. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

'Course we didn't, Brock was rated 5th of ILBs, Jordie was 10th as OLB.

Edit: Hard to understand that Brock went undrafted.

17. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    based on an effing drive in a preseason game, that granted was 18 plays, but this was more about missed tackles then anything, considering the fact that it was the first real live game of the year with tackling to the ground against a different team, that is no big deal until now.

18. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    By the end of the season, I'd luck to see wheeler off the field.

I s listening to an ellerbe interview on the considers and he takes about how he never played mlb before last year and he had to y use to working from c the inside out. He said he s often running to keep containment look at year when he needs to be coming from the inside.

I think ellerbe will have a better year but on that TD run by Atlanta, misi did exactly what ellerbe said he was doing. Misi over ran the play as to almost not let him get out side. Hopefully he just adjust his mind by the start of the season.

But I will never trust misi, a college 4-3 de, will be able to cover three space in pass game that he needs to. He also doesn't seem very good at recognition in coverage. It appears we are running a lot of cover 3

Hopefully Tripp does great and he can start at mlb and then we can move Misi to get Wheller off the field.

IMO if everything and everyone go according to my vision, our front 7 going into next season is

Vernon
    Mitchell/Odrick
    Starks
    Wake

Jordan
    Tripp
    Misi

McCain and Jenkins as our backups

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    On the TD run Misi was the outside linebacker and turned the play back inside. He did exactly what he was supposed to do.

I would put most of the blame on Wheeler who got blocked 5 yards into the endzone.

Ellerbe, I do not know. It depends on what he was supposed to do. He attacked the inside, then tried to go outside, however wasn't able to get there in time.

20. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Okay then, if so, I agree.

My wants for the future still remains.

Crazy we gave all 3 of our starting lbs good $$$

21. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Wheeler and Ellerbe probably both need to go. But Wheeler is closer to what this team wants him to be than Ellerbe, I think.

I'd call up Kevin Burnett, move Koa Misi back outside and start Jordan Tripp. Though Burnett might not even return our calls.

DolfanTom likes this.
  22. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I'm pretty sure this isn't about just the one drive.

This is about that drive being a continuation of last year's awful play from the unit. Our run defense dropped more than 10 spots from 2012 to 2013. And it looks to be a direct result of swapping Burnett and Dansby for Wheeler and Ellerbe. So, until we replace one or both of these guys, you can expect the same output in 2014 as you saw in 2013 and the first pre-season game. I think that's the point people are making when speaking of the LB unit

23. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Seeing them on August 22nd (12th row center :) ) with Monster Truck opening up.

HULKFish likes this.
  24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
  25. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Based on one full year... and a drive in a preseason game.

26. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
  27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think Abramson is playing it like a fan. He observed that Tripp did really well. I think we've had indications already that people in the media around the team have been hearing Jordan Tripp's name a lot. So he's writing basically a think piece engaging in educated and informed guesswork on what might or could happen, and slapping on a headline that suggests it's news.

Abramson's had a rough time the last year or so. His paper doesn't have near the same resources the Sun Sentinel and Herald have. It's led to some really poor misfires based on poor sources he probably never should have been listening to. I take it he's just doing the best with what he's got. I've often found that a patchwork of logic, evaluation and a little bit of inside information can lead you to things more certainly than snapshot temperature checks from an inside source who may be full of it.

28. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    So it looks like Tripp is indeed getting a significant amount of 1st string repetitions in Dannell Ellerbe's spot.

Now's the time to do it, certainly.

29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The thing about that is it's not new.

They've been rotating guys throughout camp. Tripp has been with the 1st string before. So has Jelani Jenkins. So has Jason Trusnik I believe. I guess it seems more significant now in light of Tripp's good game against the Falcons...but that could just be a perception thing.

30. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    not with the new alignment

31. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Well last day of camp today, and Tripp was OLB on 2nd string... if that means anything.

32. HULKFish

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    That's cool, though like I said with Layne Staley. They really should've went with a new band name without him. Jerry does the majority of vocals now, which isn't horrible, but he is no front man. Layne made the band, and was one of the greatest front men of hard rock IMHO. I watched them on Guitar Center Sessions, and while the new guy is pretty good, it isn't AIC to me.

33. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

That's according to NFLDS, but everyone may have different ratings. Also NFLDS ranked Tripp the 104th overall player, and Coyle the 144th. We should have drafted both. Even though Coyle ended up as a UDFA, he would have been worth a 6th IMO. He'd have had a much better chance of making this team than Matt Hazel does.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  34. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I'll take 7-to-1 against for $25 bucks.

SICK likes this.
  35. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Question... what are the REALISTIC options if Tripp outperforms Ellerbe and/or Wheeler CONSISTENTLY in camp?

Could Misi be moved back to OLB, Tripp into the middle and one of the other two shopped or used more rotationally? At what point do you see them as a sunk cost and simply play the BEST players rather than try to justify your investment while hurting your results.

Keep in mind, this GM does NOT have to make those signings look good since they belong to Gingerbread Man Ireland. Also, Philbin needs to win this year, so results re more important than if he had a long contract.

36. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think you always play who gives you a better chance to win. It probably starts just with getting him some game reps and working him into a starter role if he earns it.

37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't have a coaches philosophy, but I'm not scared to play rookies if they have more talent than the incumbent.

Bpk likes this.
  38. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    It's pretty simple to me. Get the best players on the field. If Tripp is better than Wheeler - get him in there - even if he is a better MLB than OLB. After all the work with Misi on the inside I think it would be hard to shift him back out. However, Misi didn't look spectacular on the inside. Will really be interesting to see what happens this week and the next - that should be the determining factor.

39. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Bite your ****ing tongue !