1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling with bipolar disorder

Discussion in 'Outreach Forum' started by OCDolfan, May 7, 2010.

1. OCDolfan

OCDolfan a.k.a. LostInPatsLand Club Member

Jul 21, 2008
    California
    Hi guys,

I'm a systems bio grad student at UC Irvine. Following the draft with you guys was really fun as it kept me away from my troubles.

I've been struggling since November with mania and depression. I was put on lithium in January, but it slowed me down and I couldn't do the mathematics and compuation needed for quantitative biology. I have been taken off the lithium, but it appears for me that I was taken off too quickly, and I've been having episodic manic behavior this week. I asked my brother to come in, and he's been helpful, but my dad came in tonight, and he is infantilizing. It's hard enough to have episodes that rob you of your humanity. It makes it more difficult when your father is treating you like an infant because you are acutely ill.

I don't know why I'm writing this. I'm just trying to reach out and say hi and let people know that the stuff we talk about on one level is all fun and games, but on another level, it is very helpful for me to connect with people during this difficult time, and I want to thank you guys for this.

Bpk, Celtkin, PhinsFanWife and 2 others like this.
  2. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

I am happy to listen and honored you came to us.

Bipolar disorder is a terrible disease and I wish you all the best in its treatment. You sound like a bright fellow and clearly know what to do. As soon as possible you need to return to your doctor and look for a better drug regimen which will control the swing episodes. That will be difficult given the work you do but you have to try.

As to your Dad, he is likely very scared and trying the only way he knows how. I am sure he is a big problem but try and cut him some slack. It is just as likely he means well and doesn't know how else to help!

Continue to stay in touch as you are able.

3. OCDolfan

Jul 21, 2008
    California
    Thank you very much for your kind reply, and I am always in touch by communicating with you guys in the other forums!

padre31 likes this.
  4. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I have a lot of family experience with bipolar. A lot of times family can turn their backs on each other, assuming the illness is somehow the person's fault. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth.

If you have your brother and father there supporting you, even if it not the way you would prefer, then you have a lot more going for you than most. My advice is to take your meds regularly, let your family support you emotionally, and let the schooling wait. School will still be there later on.

Bpk, Celtkin and OCDolfan like this.
  5. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    agree with everything said before me bro. Your dad is probably a little scared as well as Im sure it makes him sad to see you go through episodes that rob you of your humanity. Try to be a bit understanding and maybe talk to him a bit about it, so he can gain a little understanding.
    Good luck to you man, and if you need to talk shoot me a pm.

Celtkin, OCDolfan and dolphindebby like this.
  6. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Be thankful that you have your brother and father there for you. Alot of people don't even have that, and that's most likely gonna be their downfall.

7. OCDolfan

Jul 21, 2008
    California
    Update: I'm feeling a lot better on the lithium and am back working in my lab at school. Thank God I've got a PI who understands that when you're very sick, you can't do anything, let alone world-class science.

Thanks for all of your support. April was a terrible month, but this site cheered me up.

Now, back to quantitative genetics....

pocoloco, Bpk, Celtkin and 4 others like this.
  8. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

Thanks for the update. Happy to hear you are doing better. Glad we could be a part of helping! Continued best wishes and keep us in the loop.

Celtkin likes this.