1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Study: languages are good for the mind

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Miamian, May 18, 2008.

1. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    My personal experience diverges from that study Miamian, my close family all spoke English Polish and German and two of them ended up with Dementia....:sad:

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I speak two; Bosnian and English.

4. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    It's a huge deficit in our public edu system imo that we dont teach a 2nd language early enough. It's something i envy of the European system.

azfinfanmang and finswin56 like this.
  5. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    I can barely speak spanish :glare:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  6. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    You should keep a collection of these things and when the list gets long enough, publish.

7. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

I am sure your english is MUCH better than my spanish Toto. :up:

For the record, I do speak very broken spanish, but understand much more.

Also, my older sister is a language "Expert". She fluidly speaks...oh, I think 8 languages....English, Spanish, French, A little German, Russian, Dutch, Yiddish...and....(Help me out Miamian, she is a converted Jew, her husband is a Rabbi....what is the primary language in Isreal???) and Sign language (Yes it is considered a Language).
    She also studied, believe it or not Ancient Egyptian.

Not sure how all this rolls into this thread, but she is a very intelligent, steady person, and a great big sister :up:...oh yeah, both of her kids have turned out very very well also....

EDIT: Of course I was speaking of Hebrew Michael :up:..which she is VERY fluent in

TotoreMexico likes this.
  8. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA

Not just in Europe, all over the world. We're the only ones who seem to get all uptight about the idea of teaching children other languages. Even in a violence ravaged country like Iraq most kids can speak English and they learn most of it in school.

9. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I know English, Arabic, and a little bit of Spanish that I learned back in high school. I don't really know if it's made me any smarter though.

10. dont fumble

dont fumble Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Germany
    Probably because you guys already speak the (by far) most important language. I don't know about Australia, New Zealand or England, do they learn a second language as we learn English in Germany?
    Fact is, for me as a German it's much more important to learn English than it would be important for you guys to learn German, Spanish, etc. Plus, English is so much easier to learn. I know how difficult it was to learn and how difficult it is to improve my English as a second language, I wouldn't want to learn German or French.
    By the way, I didn't really learn English at school. I learned it by watching football and listening to the commentators and by visiting international websites. The most I learned here on this board. So if my English sucks, blame yourself :wink2:

11. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA

I don't disagree but it's beside the point. I think children should all be taught a second language.

12. dont fumble

dont fumble Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Germany
    My problem is that I don't think you can teach a language very well, you have to speak it and learn it by listening to Natives. That's relatively easy if you want to learn English but it's very hard with any other language. I think the problem for English-speaking people will become even bigger since English becomes more and more important.

13. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    In order to speak a language well, you have to live it. Total immersion is best, that's true. However, as an adult learning the grammar of a language in a classroom setting can be helpful.

Hebrew is a good example. I studied with a private teacher before moving to Israel and learned some. However, when I arrived and spent five months in the language academy, things became much clearer when I understood how the language is structured.

14. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I was about to post because I didn't know if you were kidding or not. :lol:

15. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    :yes:

:lol:

16. TotoreMexico