1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subject/verb agreement

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by anlgp, Sep 15, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I need help :lol:

The assignment is to make the subject and verbs agree. That makes sense. It has been a long time since I have had grammar and I needed to look up what a verb was ( :pity: ) so I do that

so here's the first sentence:

"Weinstein & Associates are a consulting firm that try to make businesspeople laugh."

I think laugh is the verb and businesspeople would be the subject.

Businesspeople is plural but if I were to use "laughs" it just doesn't make sense so I think this one is okay, but I'm not sure. We're only supposed to be changing the verb to make it agree w/the subject. If it is okay we're not supposed to change anything and just mark it "ok".

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    try is the verb and Weisntein & Assoc. is the subject. And they agree.

anlgp likes this.
  3. anlgp

thanks and i understand why.

Fin D likes this.
  4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    They're trying to trip you up, because Associates is plural. However, Weinstein & Associates is a singular entity. The subject of the sentence is who the sentence is about. After reading it, ask yourself that very question: Who is this sentence about?

The verb would be the action of the subject. Laugh is not the action the subject is taking in this sentence, "try" is.

anlgp likes this.
  5. anlgp

yeah.

but "laugh" is a verb right? :lol: it's just not the verb to the subject in this particular sentence?

so I suppose finding the subject is key. i was gonna just go off verbs but this will make it easier obviously.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Correct.

It always made it easier for me. Good luck!:up:

anlgp likes this.
  7. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Isn't "make" also part of a prepositional phrase excluding it from being the verb.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yes it is. A preposition explains the verb to a more specific detail.

I learned it by using, "A squirrel runs_______" fill in the blank with things like:

- to a tree
    - around a tree
    - through the tree
    - over the tree

etc.

9. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'm not sure I fully agree here..
    Shouldn't the beginning of the sentence read: "Weinstein and Associates is a consulting firm that tries..." ?

Weinstien and Associates is a subject, but it's singular, so try doesn't agree with it, it would have to be tries. "are a consulting firm that" would be an appositive phrase, and if Weinstein and associates is singular, "are" would have be be the singular, which would be "is"...

I suppose out of context it is harder. If say, it said, "David Weinstein and his associates are a consulting firm" that would be okay, but it to me sounds like "Weinstein and Associates" is the name of a company, and therefore should use 'is'

anlgp and Fin D like this.
  10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You're right.

I got so caught up in explaining the stuff I overlooked that. Hahahahahaha. I'm an idiot.

11. anlgp

Regardless of if the wording is right or not for this assignment all we had to do was make the S and V agree.

Which we didn't even go over :tantrum:

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Penn is right though.

It should be tries and not try.

13. anlgp

oh for the first answer?

14. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Technically, there are multiple verbs pertaining to the subject here, and both must agree.

The correct construction is ""Weinstein & Associates is a consulting firm that tries to make businesspeople laugh."

Fin D, unluckyluciano and anlgp like this.