1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suck for Luck? NO. But there will be PLENTY of QB options.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Section126, Dec 4, 2011.

What do you do?

1. Draft Best available QB in 1st rd.

87.0%
  2. Make Trade push for Peyton Manning.

1.3%
  3. Make Trade Push for Phillip Rivers

6.5%
  4. Matt Moore is out guy, use draft pick elsewhere.

5.2%
  1. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Take your pick, because I think this QB market will be hot.

This is where Matt Moore's play will confuse the hell out of us.

2. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I would draft a QB round 1 as of now. However, the final 4 games could change my mind on not only Moore's future, but also Sparanos to be honest.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I like Matt Moore's game, but we'd be nuts to bet the farm on him, double down with BQBA in Rd #1 as well and remove all doubt, be bold and take a calculated risk.

We more then likely will now be in that #11-#16 range.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Sign Jamarcus Russell as camp competition for Moore. Keep em hungry :shifty:

5. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    No trade up for Luck? I say draft Weeden in the 1st.

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Draft barkley, jones or RG3rd....whoever is available in the 1st. Matt Moore is playing ok, but he is NOT.....I repeat.....NOT THE ANSWER LONG TERM.

7. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Trade up if you can for Luck. If that doesn't work, I'd trade up for Barkley. That's where I'd start at.

8. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I say draft Blackmon and move back in the first round and get Weeden or RG3

first&goal likes this.
  9. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I will take MM to keep us competitive until our new rookie QB gets ready to take over. If one of the QB's on the board is worth it, I am taking him or moving up to get the guy we REALLY want.

10. Phyl

Phyl New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    I'd be ok with that.

11. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Option 5. If Luck, Barkley or RG3 are there in the 1st round when we pick, you take any of the three.....if not, you don't risk taking a Weeden or Landry Jones, who are John Beck, the Sequel. If all three of these guys are off the board you look at maybe trading for P. Manning, or you draft the BPA in the draft and stick with Moore for another year.

I could live with drafting Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama, to go along with Reggie Bush and Thomas in the backfield. That would be sick. Then in Round 2, you draft a huge Right Tackle, or Right Guard. Then in Round 3, you take a TE or another solid d-back.

12. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Do what it takes to get RGIII or Barkley.

Vinny Fins and djphinfan like this.
  13. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Best QB available

14. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    You think KC and Cleveland take a QB?

15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    The way we're playing, Barkley and RG3 will be long gone, and IMO Landry Jones is not the right fit for this offense. That leaves us drafting Tannehill (who would be a great fit) or taking BPA (which I'd also be fine with) and then drafting Weeden or Tyler Wilson (if he declares).

IMO the defense could really use another impact player considering we're both on the verge of becoming an elite D and we currently need an extra pass rusher & addition to the secondary. Personally, I think we'll be in the range of Tannehill, Dre Kirkpatrick, David DeCastro, Michael Floyd, Blackmon, Alshon Jeffery, Jonathan Martin, and one of my favorite players-- Kendall Wright.

16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'd hate the Richardson pick b/c Bush & Thomas are perfectly fine as our top 2.

MrClean and Pandarilla like this.
  17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    we on the same page with Mr. Wright.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Elite D?

How, we were assured that the d was going to regress this yr, by those who study this stuff closely...:lol:

I do think you make a good point about the fact we are moving away from the top Qb's, a process I expect will continue as we will win more games, so then we really should look at other areas that need some talent on the squad.

For example, lost in the winning streak is we are getting little to no production out of Hartline, he essentially is buried in the MMoore led offense, do not know why, but he just is a non factor in the last 4-5 games (more or less), we may need to look to upgrade there.

Also think we could use some athleticism in the Lb Corps, or at least a situational pass rusher or three.

But then again, it all hinges on the Staff situation, will Nolan stay for another 2 yr deal? Will he be looked at as a HC by someone? In the NCAA maybe?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  19. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I am thinking that San Diego is a sinking ship.

Norv and AJ Smith will be canned, and they will be in "blow it up" mode.

if I am (Fill in the Blank) or Jeff Ireland, I make a very interested call to San Diego to inquire about Rivers. it might be time to vulture a QB, like Chicago did.

IMO..kiss Matt Barkley goodbye as well, unless we are prepared to trade for him. I'd rather trade for a sure thing in Rivers. (and yes, I realize he has had a terrible season.)

20. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    KC not so much but Cleveland yes.

21. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Exactly. We should be realistic about this. No sense chasing pipe dreams that represent close to zero likelihood.

Hartline made a few plays today, but I agree that he seems inappropriate for this offense. Like you mentioned about the LBs, we need to continue getting more athletic, faster, and with more playmaking ability at #2 WR to compliment what we have going on with the rest of the offense IMO b/c we're developing to the point where we're becoming harder and harder to defend, so if that's the case, let's run with it. I think Kendall Wright would be a perfect compliment (but I wouldn't turn down Floyd or Blackmon).

A 2nd round situational pass rusher who can be groomed into a starter would be great (Brandon Jenkins or Bruce Irvin).

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I simply do not believe they will trade him, Cutler pretty much forced the Broncos to peddle him, Rivers has made no such noises and his presence will be SD's strongest selling point for a new HC.

IDK if Ireland would move down in the draft, not when it costs a #2 to do so, he more or less moves back to acquire picks and has no real history of moving down when it costs to do so, now granted, he may be gone, but that just causes more problems no?

23. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'd say that if Miami is unable to trade up for a QB, the guy I'd want is Courtney Upshaw from Alabama. I think he supplants Koa Misi from day one fairly easily opposite Cameron Wake. You can make Misi your third guy or even take a guy later on. No sense in burning a 2nd round pick on a situational player IMO.

As for the #2 WR position. I think you can certainly look to upgrade Brian Hartline. I highly disagree that Kendall Wright is a first round talent, but the premise of adding another playmaker at WR I can get on board with. I'd submit taking a look at Robert Meachem of New Orleans in free agency might be a more practical way to go. He's big, can run, and is able to stretch the field. Stick him opposite Marshall and you've got three guys you can use everywhere. A lot of people overlook Brian Hartline playing in the slot when he was at Ohio State. He's more of a field stretcher from that position than Davone Bess is. Clyde Gates would certainly be as well.

All things being equal though, Miami needs to try everything they can to trade up for Luck or Barkley.

24. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    You highly disagree Wright is a 1st round talent? Huh? Where do YOU see him going?

25. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Pipe dream, IMO. It would take three 1s minimum. I’d rather just move half the draft for Matt Barkley.

Anonymous likes this.
  26. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Blackmon is a top 5 pick, not happening - if we somehow end up that high the pick is a QB. Alshon Jefferey may still be around, Floyd probably will.

I don't think we can take a third OL in the first round - that's just not effective use of resources.

DB might be an option with Claiborne (probably gone) or Kirkpatrick. That would at least provide very good CB depth against these spread formations, or allow SS to move into a safety role. I don't really know much about passrushers or who might be a good fit in our range.

However, QB needs to remain priority number 1. Even if Moore maintains this rate of play, all we need to do is look to Buffalo to see the kind of mirage that can really sting. That contract for Fitz will be limiting to a team in need. Can we trust Moore not to revert back again? No.

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Depends, meaning you can find a passrusher in any round in the draft, Rd 1-7, the problem is you have to know what you are looking for, heck Aaron Maybin had another strip sack today, that is like 5-6 sacks and 4 FF from him for the Jest, and he was walking the streets ditto Santonio Holmes and Burress.

The talent is out there, you just have to A) have the eye for it B) be willing to take a shot on them

As for an upgrade at Wr, I like Hartline and feel he can produce, I also think like Greg C, you sort of have to look to upgrade from "good" to "threat to defenses constantly".

It amazes me that folks think adding a "First Rd Qb!!!" and adding him to offense that requires them to throw into the same small windows that Henne and Moore are tossing into, that things will be different?

:dunno:

ToddsPhins likes this.
  28. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Where did Titus Young go, middle of the 2nd round or something like that? About there.

padre31 likes this.
  29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    :lol:

See it every yr, "so and so is a first rd pick at ____"!

Reality is, they look at his technique, what offense he played in at College, and see where he would fit into that team's situation.

Now, what if, they let Reggie B walk, would a Lamar Miller make sense for us?

That's how GM's look at things imo.

30. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Exactly.

As for Reggie leaving, purely hypothetically speaking, but I'd almost be inclined to keep Steve Slaton around and see just what we have in Nic Grigsby. While Grigsby certainly isn't of Bush's pedigree, he's a similar type of player who made similar type plays in college. Not saying he could assume Bush's full role, but I think he could take parts of it. And in the context of GM'ing, you're still saving a pick to add a player at another position of need. It's almost akin to New Orleans. You've got a #1 guy in Daniel Thomas, a specialty type of player in Grigsby (potentially), and another runner who can do a little of everything in Slaton. Sounds like a poor (maybe really poor) guy's Ingram, Sproles, and Thomas almost.

31. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    The Dolphins could possibly dangle Jake Long, picks or any player to Indy for Luck. Indy could be vulnerable to the sentimental attachments they have to Manning.

32. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    if we could get rivers id be ecstatic

33. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The Colts have already stated, via leak to Adam Schefter, that they will take Andrew Luck period.

34. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'd take Phil Rivers in a god damned heart beat but I don't think he's going anywhere. Section126 is correct that San Diego is going to get blown up. And hell, maybe even moved to Los Angeles. But Phil Rivers isn't an asset you sell off. It's an asset you leverage. They're going to use Phil Rivers' presence to attract good coaches and front office staff to San Diego, because as long as you have an elite quarterback in this league your team has a more than decent shot at being a winner, and everyone wants to be part of a winner, even front office people.

Jay Cutler was a pretty extreme situation. Josh McDaniels is one of the most arrogant idiots I've ever seen coaching. I'm not saying he'll always be an arrogant idiot, he's still very young, and he made a young idiot mistake by jumping out publicly into the Matt Cassel sweepstakes when he already had a franchise quarterback in place. If you're going to do that, you had better NOT fail because the consequences with an ego like Cutler's would be, and were dire. After that, they pretty much had to trade him.

But who do you imagine the Chargers hiring to be their Head Coach? You think they're going to hire someone who interviews and says he's kind of lukewarm on Phil Rivers and he might like to keep all his options open on the quarterback front? Hell no. They're going to hire someone that is excited about coaching Phil Rivers and brings along some great ideas how to use him a heck of a lot better than Norv Turner did.

35. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    My plan, if I were the GM, would first consist of some heavy rooting for Charger losses, and Rivers interceptions.

Enough losses for them to be in a position to add one of the talked about QB's.

I would then get on the phone, and I would not stop taking till San Diego told me "NO". (Two #1's, Two #3's..say No..and I'll stop calling)

A new GM in SD, could do alot worse, than Matt Barkley in hand, with picks coming in from the Dolphins. If they are in the top 10, and so are we...our 1st rounder, is their ticket to the top 5 and Barkley. they then still have more picks from us.

it can be made attractive. it just has to REALLY go to **** in San Diego the rest of the way.

36. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Wright AND Griffin would be outstanding, but I doubt Griffin lasts till our #1 and I doubt Wright lasts till our #2. :cry:

37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Personally, I'd want no part of Rivers ruining what we currently have going on.

djphinfan likes this.
  38. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Meachem would be a nice addition, especially since he would free up a draft pick. Plus it's not out of the question that his best football days may still be ahead of him. I've been wanting to see Hartline seeing more action in the slot for the past 2 years, so I definitely share your sentiments there, Ronin.

I wouldn't have a problem with Upshaw. Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with any pick that makes us better, and Upshaw most likely improves our defense.

39. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Moore has played nice, but are there really Dolphin fans that think he's the answer long term? Those who don't learn from past mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

40. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I get what you're saying, but I personally think he's a better football player than Titus Young. There's definitely some evaluating to go, but I can't help thinking of a Greg Jennings type impact player every time I watch Wright.