1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer Movies 2009

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Big Red, Jun 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Taking a look at some of the movies that have come out so far as well as a few that I'm looking forward to.

WOLVERINE - It was okay. The story wasn't great and some of the special effects were a little suspect. I'm not a huge fan of Hugh Jackman in the lead role. They should have made this movie 25 years ago with Harvey Keitel in the lead.

STAR TREK - Great movie. The story, characters, and special effects were fantastic. You don't need to be a trekkie to enjoy it which is quite a feat by the filmmakers.
    The romance between Spock and Uhura was a great surprise. And the time travel aspect might give us a clue as to what Abrams and company have in store for LOST.
    DRAG ME TO HELL - Just saw it last night. Its getting tremendous word of mouth and for good reason. Great acting, sound design, music, and special effects make it way scarier than you think it would be. However its more than just a scary movie. Fans of Sam Raimi's EVIL DEAD series will recognize his style at work here. Some of the scenes were just classic and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets nominated for Best Fight Scene at the MTV Movie Awards next year.
    TERMINATOR SALVATION - Haven't seen it but I heard its awful. Is that true?

ANGELS & DEMONS - Haven't seen it but I heard its just okay. Too bad because I really like the book.

UP - Wanted to take my daughter to see it but I heard it may be too much for a 4-year-old.

NIGHT AT THE SMITHSONIAN - I'm not standing in line anytime soon but I wanted to get more feedback because I've heard some mixed reviews.

Looking forward to THE HANGOVER, AWAY WE GO, BRUNO, and FUNNY PEOPLE. What have y'all seen and what are you looking forward to?

Pagan likes this.
  2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Looking forward to Transformers 2.

I personally loved Terminator: Salvation and Star Trek (with the nod to Terminator). Angels and Demons was real good too.

Big Red likes this.
  3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    seeing the hangover this weekend....ive got good expectations...hope they wont let me down!

Pagan and Big Red like this.
  4. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    The only thing that REALLY bothers me about jackman is he says "Pal" and not "Bub".....really ?!?!?! you couldnt give us that ??

Pagan likes this.
  5. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    No offense but I was not a fan of the first TRANSFORMERS movie. The sound design was amazing but that's about all it had going for it. Sequels are rarely better than the original so unless Megan Fox has a sex scene with Optimus Prime I won't be seeing that one. Its a great video game though.

Maybe I'll check out ANGELS & DEMONS.

Fin D likes this.
  6. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    To his credit Jackman does nail the attitude but the thing that bothers me about him is he's just too tall and too much of a pretty boy. Wolverine is supposed to be short and scruffy.

[​IMG]

7. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    June 5th ~ The Hangover
    June 5th ~ Land Of The Lost
    June 19th ~ Year One
    July 10th ~ Bruno
    July 31st ~ Funny People
    August 28th ~ H2: Halloween 2

Big Red and Phinperor like this.
  8. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    He does say Bub thats what led to him getting into the fight with the fat dude whose name I can't remember right now.

9. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    I'm hearing that "Land of the Lost" stinks on ice.

Can't wait to see "Drag Me To Hell" and "The Hangover".

10. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine, or, as I like to call it, the fourth Wolverine Movie was disappointing. But then again, I expected that.

Waiting on Transformers 2 and GI Joe

11. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Drag Me To Hell was more than just a movie IMO. It also had a social commentary that is very relevant to these hard times we are going through. The ending was fantastic, but I saw it coming. :(

12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i hate that.....but there are very few movies that i cant guess.....shawshank redemption being one of them......never saw the
    tunnel in the wall coming

13. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I read the book, so I did.

14. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Shawshank Redemption is one of my all-time favorite movies! I wrote a letter to the writer/director Frank Darabont after I saw it and he sent me an autographed script.

15. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Saw THE HANGOVER and it didn't disappoint. The audience I saw it with was laughing so hard at times I missed about 15% of the dialogue.

The story was original and weird and full of twists and turns. However the filmmakers could have spent a little more time developing the characters which might have led to more classic moments.
    How many times have we seen the hooker with the heart of gold, the nerdy dentist, and the controlling girlfriend? And the groom-to-be was about as bland as you can get. The bride-to-be only less so because she was easy on the eyes. Fortunately, both of them weren't on screen for very long.
    That being said this isn't Oscar season and the bottom line is the movie delivered laughs. A lot of them. Breakout role for Zach Galifianakis. And the best end credits sequence ever.

PeaTearGriffin likes this.
  16. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    I completely agree. Galifianakis stole the movie for me

Big Red likes this.