1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Medieval954, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Medieval954

Medieval954 New Member

Jan 4, 2008

2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

*raises hand in air waiting for a high five from Medieval*

2nd best GOTY = Galaxy 2!

3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Im not liking that portions of the game are being shown without orchestral music and MIDI instead. That was such a breath of fresh air in the first that if they go back to MIDI tones in this one i'll be pretty annoyed.

Im glad the trailer was done in orchestrated music though to calm my fears.

4. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Little known fact, my friends day plays Bowser, or is one of the voices for him

5. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    that's sick. So like, he did all the grunts and growls? Has bowser ever actually had voice over dialog? i have no idea.

6. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I was going to cancel my pre-order, but Amazon has this for $49.99 plus $20 in future video game credit.

Can't really beat getting it for $40 plus $20 off a future purchase. :pity:

7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA

why would you cancel it? just to be a jerk?!

8. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Apparently you're unfamiliar with the size of my backlog.

9. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

Well, now I know what the wife's getting for our 12th anniversary... :wink2:

10. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    IGN gives Super Mario Galaxy 2 a perfect score of 10.

IMO, it had better be a pretty dramatic improvement over the original to warrant anything even close to that score. I thought the original was fun but underwhelming given the massive amount of hype, and that Super Paper Mario was the superior game. But to hear IGN talk about it, the original was one of the greatest games of the decade, so clearly I disagree with them.

Personally, I'll be holding on to my money for Metroid: Other M, Dragon Quest IX, Medal of Honor, CoD: Black Ops, and a few other games.

11. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I too found it underwhelming, and though Super Paper Mario was better.

12. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    It leaked late last night (for those with a modded Wii). I don't see how you give a game a 10 that's basically the same game. Not saying SMG1 wasn't great... It was. But a 10? Goes to show the ongoing BJ the industry gives to anything Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.

I personally would argue that Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption were both more fun, unique, and better video game experiences than SMG2. You never kn ow though... Maybe a few more hours into the game something will happen to make it the best game of the year. I just don't see it happening.

Remember when the Normandy got destroyed and Shepherd was sucked into space? You instantly knew, "this is gonna be ****ing epic". SMG will never to that to you.

BuckeyeKing and Stitches like this.
  13. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I don't know if anyone reads joystiq for game updates, but they sometimes do reviews for bigger games (or so it seems) and they recently posted on for SMG2. I don't usually read more than a paragraph of their reviews (and this is no exception), but the reviewer said that this was the best Mario game he's ever played.

I'm personally a bit skeptical as I became petty bored after not too long of playing SMG1, and found Mario games like Super Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG to be more enjoyable. I don't know. I was hooked when I first played Super Mario 64 even, but SMG1 just didn't do it for me.

mor911 likes this.
  14. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I loved Galaxy 1. I'm certain I'll love this too.

I'm also pretty certain that the level of game competition in 2010 is steep. This has and will be one of those Gamer's Years. It just kinda annoys me... They tack on an extra point or two to every Mario game just for being a Mario game. I didn't realize name recognition could weigh into the playability of a game.

15. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    this game is amazing.

16. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I have the game, and it is not the same. yes its the same graphics engine, but everything has been streamlined and improved. This game has lots of new characters, must more improved level design (YOSHI!!!) It's easily the best looking Wii game and should be ranked above Galaxy..

Nintendo has raised the bar for platform titles. The camera is MUCH better in this one..

17. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    certain stars will kick your *** in this game. Im very happy to see its more difficult. its definitely an improvement to the first in every way, and the first was a masterpiece.

TrueDolFan likes this.
  18. TrueDolFan

TrueDolFan Minion of Satan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't see how anybody could say this game isn't THE best 3D platformer ever made.

19. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    3D platforming.. .Sure. But overall??

How about this... Hypothetically. If it was called Crash Galaxy and you played Crash Bandicoot instead of Mario... Same levels. Same Gameplay. Honestly....

Is it still a masterpiece and a "10" (according to some sources)?

20. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    i have the same mentality as you when it comes to the '10' ratings. No game is perfect, but if Uncharted 2, GTA, and Mass Effect 2 are 'perfect' than so is SMG2 IMO. That's the problem with giving one game a 10, because you open the door to give other games a 10.

(scratch that, Mass Effect 2 was/is and forever will be the closest thing to perfect a game can get IMO)

I don't think anyone should claim this is the best platformer ever, but as stated before, best 3d platformer for sure. I say that as a ratchet and clank fan, as a crash bandicoot fan, as a jak and daxter fan. I loved all those games. But the originality, level design, and creativity being put into both galaxy games puts all of those to shame.

There are certain things Nintendo can do, certain genres they rule with an iron fist, and platforming is one of them. We've seen games like Shadow of Colossus and Okami steal Zelda's thunder, and Castlvania/Shadow Complex/others outshine metroid, but nothing has ever touched Mario.

(and nothing nintendo ever does will touch the graphics of uncharted, or the multiplayer of halo, and so on)

mor911 likes this.
  21. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    With this, you win my heart forever.

CitizenSnips likes this.
  22. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I really believe that companies pay for inflated games. This is just to give Nintendo hype. There is no way in hell SMG2 is better than any of those games mentioned.

(here comes Pete to play Devil's advocate)

23. TrueDolFan

TrueDolFan Minion of Satan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't know about you, but I'll never be able to love today's 3D platformers as much as I loved my 8-bit platformers back when I was a kid. Those games were like MAGIC. Maybe it's because I was young, and maybe it was because the industry was innovating at a break-neck pace back in the early days. Probably both.

Overall? You mean best game ever made overall or best platformer ever made overall? It's neither. But that doesn't mean that it's not one of the best games of this generation.

I agree with CitizenSnips. This game is deserving of a 10. I think of it like this:

SMG2 is to SMG what Mega Man 2 is to Mega Man.