1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superman: Unleashed

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Miamian, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
  2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Miamian likes this.
  3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Am I the only one who is completely bored of Superman and all of the movies (minus the original)? For whatever reason they don't do anything for me, maybe it's the fact that he's almost unstoppable and besides Lex Luthor, I don't find any of the villians interesting (which is why I'm not a fan of the Hulk either).

fins4o8, FinSane and Phinperor like this.
  4. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I enjoyed SR for what it was, a decent Superman Movie. Nothing special or memorable. I don't know what would make me see a sequel in the theater.

NaboCane likes this.
  5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Superman needs a villain who he can fight. Someone who's an actual threat, like Braniac. He would actually be the perfect movie foil for Supes right now. They could capitalize on all the "transformer-robot-alien invasion" craze with Braniac.

If they stick with just Lex, then can Brian Singer at least keep from making Superman an emo-gay poster boy-Jesus-like-wussy, like he did in SR?

6. FinsPensFan

FinsPensFan Professional Slacker

Dec 21, 2007
    Wheeling, WV
    Doomsday would be an awesome pick for the next movie.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    He'd be the ultimate, but there has to be more history first. There has to be at least some hint of conflict between Supes and the government.

8. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I'm really tired of Lex Luther. He was in all of the ones with Christopher Reeve, then we had him again in SR, and even in Smallville. Let him stay in jail for once.

Fin D likes this.
  9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Darkseid would be ultimate. Doomsday is just a thug

finfansince72 likes this.
  10. Soundwave

Soundwave Phins Sympathizer..

Apr 15, 2008
    Batman with a pocket full of kryptonite would beat the living snot out of him..

Fin D likes this.
  11. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I hate Superman.

That is all.

12. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    It's just weird that Prince's half Dominican brother, Juan, got the nod to play the man of steel in the reboot.

[​IMG]

13. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    We don't like you either Toyman.

That is all.

:up:

14. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    As far as Superman's invincibility, it is what it is...and has been for almost 80 years now.

What that makes it is incumbent on the writers to forgo their usual brainless, formulaic **** and invent a brainier scenario in which the new story's conflict can evolve.

The way the writer of The Dark Knight Returns created for Batman, revitalizing the series.

Now, what I'd really like to see is a faithful telling of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns; set in a world much like The Watchmen, in which superheroes have been forced underground, against which Batman rebels - pitting him against Superman in a battle royale for the ages.

Soundwave likes this.
  15. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think after Nolan does his third movie, I'd love to see someone tackle 'The Dark Knight Returns' story. Imagine bringing back Michael Keaton for the role? I think it would be extremely interesting.

I think TDKR is almost a shoe in to happen, the big question is when.

16. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    The Dark Knight Returns was one of the most incredible graphic novels I've ever read.

fins4o8, Vengeful Odin and NaboCane like this.
  17. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I agree, Darkseid is the best Superman villian, I like Brainiac a lot too. If you saw the Justice League Unlimited cartoons they had some great villians for Superman.
    Honestly I was hoping they would just forget they made SR, I know I'd like to forget I saw it. I like Superman as a character and the early Superman movies were great for me as a kid but the latest movie was very, very poorly cast (with the exception of Superman) and the story was flimsy at best.

Fin D likes this.
  18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    JLU was, simply put, the greatest animated superhero series ever.

19. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina

I agree, the straight to DVD movies that have come out recently were good too but the JLU series is my favorite superhero series they had some great stories.

20. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    One thing I'm hoping for is that the name "Unleashed" does not mislead us i.e., we'll have some more action this time.

As far as the cast goes, I thought Brandon Routh was good, he had a poor story to work with. Kate Bosworth has to be one of the worst casting choices in the history of cinema. Kevin Spacey I thought was okay for Lex Luther, Gene Hackman is a tough act to follow, pardon the pun. Anyway, if LL doesn't figure heavily into the movie as some of us hope, then it shouldn't matter much.

There's also been debate on the issue of whether Superman should be darker. I think that most of us accept that he can't be as dark as Batman, very few characters can. But, darker than the Christopher Reeve version, maybe. In Smallville Clark Kent is not a dark character, except when he's under the influence of red kryptonite. However, the series portrays Kryptonian culture as much darker than it has been in movies and comics.

What really concerns me as a fanboy who thirsts for live-action DC movies is that they don't use a formula. The Nolan/Bale Batman is great. That doesn't mean that you follow that pattern for every superhero movie. What I'm hoping is that at most it influences other movies where darker characters are needed like in Wonder Woman.

Regan21286 likes this.
  21. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Unless he's fighting Doomsday or some other superpowered badass in the next film, not interested.