1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Support my Fundraiser for Homeless Youth

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mnfinfan, Dec 22, 2007.

1. mnfinfan

mnfinfan Active Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    Grand Cayman and Minnesota
    Hey all, As winter comes to the most of the northern states and my kids are bundled up warm and safe, my attention has turned to the ones that for some reason or another aren't able to live at home and are forced to live on the streets.

For that reason my oldest son and I came up with a plan to help out in some small way. I have built a quinzhee http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinzhee. Since it snowed on Dec, I have with the help of my crack team of neoghbourhood kids (7yrs and under), have built a Quinzhee that I am going to sleep in. It has enough room for me to kneel and stretch out fully. It also has some precious air holes to stop me from being affected by CO2 poisoning. I am going to be sleeping out in it for 3 nights next week before New Year's Eve, around the 27-29th. The money I am raising is going to a shelter in Minnesota that has been providing care and shelter for youth since 1970. The organization, Bridge for Runaway Youth, has a great mission and has helped thousands of kids over the years from around the Upper Midwest.

Here is a little more about them:
    Bridge for Runaway Youth, Inc.
    The street is no place for a child. Tragically, too many young people end up there when their home lives become intolerable. The Bridge offers an alternative, providing youth in crisis with shelter, safety, and hope for a better future. Founded in 1970, our mission is to ensure a safe and enriching environment for youth in crisis by providing shelter, building life skills, and assisting families in conflict. We help young people reconnect with family, school, and community, and overcome significant challenges to lead successful, independent lives.

www.firstgiving.com/paultyler

I have setup the above website and it allows me to funnel the donations directly to the site. The org is a Non Profit and has 501c3 status so all donations are tax free, and as you donate directly you get a receipt for Tax reasons. The website is safe and secure, I have used it to donate in the past to friends fundraisers and have had no issues.

If you can spare a couple bucks, $5, $10, or whatever you can afford then please help out. I would truly appreciate it. So far we have raised $510 and I would love to get to $5000.

I will be taking pics of the event and hopefully take some video to post.

Thanks for hearing me out, and mods please kill this thread if it is not appropriate.

Cheers

Paul

2. mnfinfan

Nov 22, 2007
    Well tonight is the night. I start my three night sleep out in a couple hours after the kids are asleep. Got my Fins sweatshirt, and fins stocking cap to keep me warm. Not to mention the long johns, extra thick socks and winter sleeping bag. It has shrunk a little in the warm up last week so I am not able to kneel in there, not really how I amk going to keep the clothes dry and get into the sleeping bag but hey I got 10 toes whats one to frostbite?

If the cold doesn't get me then reading about Debt Securities for my Series 7 surely will numb my brain. Have a good night y'all and if I am alive in the morning I will post my thoughts on what it is like to be out in a snow hut all night.

Cheers

Paul

3. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Awesome project Paul. You rock, brother

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Good luck MN....

5. mnfinfan

Nov 22, 2007
    Thanks gents, looking forward to it, Mal, this was why I was looking for url in the sig so I could put the link up, thanks for allowing me to do it, as I have already had a click tonight and a donation! Andrew if you read this, you rock!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  6. mnfinfan

Nov 22, 2007
    Well last night was an absolute MF! Wow, I was not nearly as prepared as I thought I would be! But it was done managed to sleep to 8.00am, prolly cause I was up half the night trying to stop my toes and nose from freezing off.

I have posted a few pics and my video on a live Spaces blog that I setup a couple days ago.

http://caymangolfer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx

7. ScottishFin

ScottishFin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Lopped a few bucks your way m8 , hope its not too cold :D

8. mnfinfan

Nov 22, 2007
    Hey mate, cheers very much! Brilliant! and ys it is bloody freezing, -5C last night and -11C tonight. Do not want to go back out but I am off!

Here is a video from last night.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cySivgwlJUc[/ame]

9. mnfinfan

Nov 22, 2007
    Well I finished my three nights, damn that was fun. We have raised $1300 and have more coming in so I really appreciate all your support,and my brothers and sisters here have responded generously! Last night I snuck a beer, had the ipod going, the moon was shining through the roof air hole and it almost felt like back home on the beach on Cayman.

Thanks brothers and sisters for helping me out. There are a few pics, more to come and a video on caymangolfer.spaces.live.com. If you have a couple bucks there is always www.firstgiving.com/paultyler

Cheers and Happy New Year and be grateful for all that you have! GOd knows I am grateful that I have a real bed to sleep in tonight :lol: