1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Survivor - Redemption Island

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by BlameItOnTheHenne, Feb 15, 2011.

1. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I kept wanting somebody to point out to Phillip that another possibility for why people keep saying he's crazy is that they think he's crazy. I also thought Steve should have pointed out that Phillip's skills at "reading" people were proven wrong since he wasn't the one that took his shorts.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  2. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    These are fair points but a little off the mark in some regards. First of all Russell wasn't around long enough for us to be sure how he was really going to play the game. Yes he talked smack in the interviews, so does Rob. Yes he found two girls to align tightly with, Rob also pulled in the girls right away. Yes he went off hunting for idols, who wouldn't. The difference is that Zapatera actually considered the possibility that he was doing that and challenged him on it. Omatepe decided that sunbathing and playing on the beach was more important than figuring out why Rob disappeared for 20 minutes in the woods. If Ralph doesn't stumble upon the idol we may have a whole different game right now. As perfect a game as Rob has played it has been greatly aided by the fact that he may be on the most naive tribe I've ever seen. They are good at challenges but not one of them outside of Phillip seems to have any desire to try to put him/herself on the top or stop Rob from acquiring so much power. They are just sitting around hoping they can make some kind of move after they get down to the final six. Too late for them now. Rob will likely be able to hand pick who he takes with him to the end at this point.

And what kind of 'chance' was Zap going to give Russell? Russell was never going to play the game their way and rightfully so. Their strategy was flawed and weak. Rob wouldn't/isn't playing that way either. Zap never would have blindsided Matt to solidify their power. You're giving Rob tons of credit for playing so masterfully on his fourth time through yet no penalty for not learning how to use idols nearly as quickly as Russell did. They're not that much different as players honestly. Russell is more brash but that's about it. When Julie buried Phillip's shorts to set him off even more [smart, their only chance to take heat off of themselves even though it didn't work] she was taking a page from Russell's playbook. She might still be in the game if she would have aligned with a more experienced player instead of someone like Sarita.

3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Russell came into the game and told zap he was going to play a certain way and didn't. Instead, he did what he always does. They recognized it and eliminated him. Rob started out targeting the girls because of their numerical advantage and turned 3 of them into zombies. Very different from Russell.

Credit to Rob for setting that up though. That's one of the BIG differences between Rob and Russell. Nobody likes Russell. Even members of his own alliance don't really like Russell (save the two girls this year). He's abrasive as hell to everyone. Rob is charming, charismatic, and fun. It's how he disarms his opponents. This goes all the way back to Marquesas.

I again would credit Rob for this. Rob eliminated the people who wouldn't obey him and aligned with those who would. It reminds me of *** when every player in the game said during a questionnaire challenge that they all trusted Rob with their lives. He has great social skill that always him to control everything.

It's like Rudy said in the first season of survivor. There's more of them than me, so I have to adapt. Russell came in saying he was going to play differently, the Zap tribe seemed responsive, and then Russell did what Russell always does. Russell could of slow played his hand and didn't.

Agreed. Rob came from a different generation of the game, and didn't put enough importance into Idols. That was a big mistake on his part. He knows better now.

I agree. They both like to control and micromanage. The big differences are personality traits.

Dolfan984 likes this.
  4. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I would definitely give Rob the edge with social skills. Rob vs. Russell is an excellent survivor debate. This season Rob definitely had the edge though I still don't think Russell had much of a chance. Russell was never going to do a complete 180 as a player. Why would he, he had never been eliminated before so I'm not that surprised he mostly wanted to stick to his own ways. I would have loved to see how he went about trying to get jury votes though.

5. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Awesome post. Rob, not Russell is the King of Survivor.

Rob doesn't talk **** to you. Russell does that AND steals your ****. Rob works HARD around camp unlike Russell. Rob is one of the best at puzzle challenges of all time. In All Stars he was one of the best physical threats of all time (and he's still decent, but he's 34 now, not 27) Russell has never been anything but average at challenges. Rob is probably the only person who could come into Survivor in his 4th time against a full newbie squad (Russell wasn't on long enough for Rob to get rid of him by himself) and probably win the damn thing. The only unfortunate thing about Rob is that players like Franchesca and Kristina would've been really interesting players had they not decided they wanted to get rid of Rob. Unlucky for them I guess. Get rid of Rob?!? LOL you better have idols force fed to you like Russell used to.

6. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Don't kill yourself if Rob doesn't win this season. If Mike survives and makes the final three he will get almost every vote over Rob. The same could be said for Matt. They both have the vote of every former Zap member completely taken care of.

7. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    :lol: i'll be fine i survived heroes vs villians, even though one of rob's alliance mates ended up winning anyways. Rob was TEARING up team challenges that year and that's what he got for it. :(

If Matt or Mike make it to the finals, they completely deserve it. If Mike were on any other season he'd be a favorite of mine for sure. I usually have a few favorites every year but CBS decided to let me write Survivor this year so I only have the one obvious favorite. :P

If Rob takes Natalie and Phillip to the end, I think he has a good chance. Either way it's hard to say if anyone's played a better season than him this year.

muscle979 likes this.
  8. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Terrible season is terrible.

9. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    It's going to be extremely hard for him to keep Mike or Matt out of the final three though. One of them is likely coming back and you have to think they have a great chance of winning an individual immunity or two depending on how close to the end they are when they return. Taking Phillip with him is definitely smart.

I hated Amanda winning HVV, HATED it. She was a crap player who didn't do a thing outside of try not to be noticed. Then she got votes from bitter loser morons like Rupert who wouldn't vote for a real player like Parvati or Russell. She survived the way a cockroach survives. I don't blame them that much for not voting for Russell because he tends to be an *** but Parvati was a hell of a player. It amost made me sick on my stomach seeing Amanda get the money over her. She shouldn't have been penalized for aligning with Russell because she was playing him more than he ever did her.

10. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Yeah this is pretty dull and predictable. Everytime you thought someone might make a big move they did the boring predictable thing. From Julie not aligning with Russell and the girls to nobody having the guts to challenge Rob.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  11. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Blindside Rob and the fun will start.

12. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I thought the girls might be smart and actually consider Steve's proposal but it seems they're content sitting around waiting until Rob decides to dispose of them. Rob has certainly played a good season but as I've said before he's not exactly playing with high caliber players either.

13. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Haters gonna hate. Rob is the best of all time. His tribe absolutely adores him. They all think he's taking them to the end. So great.

14. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Putting Rob on the season was completely unfair to everyone. Any other repeat player would've been voted off pre-merge. Rob makes you want to be his friend for the rest of your life when you're with him that long. One of the best if not the best strategists of all time, one of the if not the best puzzle solver of all time, has one of the if not by far the best social game of all time, and in his prime was a crazy good athlete. Now that he's 35 and not 27 he's not winning all the physical challenges like he did in all stars but makes it up in leadership (during the team phase) and mental challenge ability that he's strengthened with age.

15. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I'm not hating. The players are just outrageously dumb this season, which makes it a walk in the park for Rob.

muscle979 and Dolfan984 like this.
  16. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    And FTR, I don't like the whole Redemption Island thing. It takes out a good amount of suspense at tribal knowing they really aren't going home yet.

17. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm not a big fan of it after the merge. Before the merge it was cool but it's kinda ridiculous Matt Ralph Mike and Steve are still in the game they can't get out any faster IMO.

18. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Because Rob got rid of all the good people on his tribe early then took out the rest of the other tribe (and the RI returnee) 1 by 1 after the merge. It makes for boring TV but it's brilliant gameplay. He told enough people that he would take them to the end like he always does, and didn't get shafted by the idol this time around. Zapatera did the same thing to Russell, Stephanie, and Krista that Ometepe did to them.

19. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Agree 100%. An entertaining show is obviously the top priority which is why I think there's no way we see Rob again unless it's another all-star game with good players. Dolfan's mancrush on Rob is starting to scare me a little........ [j/k]

20. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    You know I run a form of Survivor right? I like him because I think he's the best, and I'm really into Survivor. Not as much as football (I put up the Rob avy during my survivor but take it down afterwards) but it's the offseason.

21. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    There was 1 chance for an uber power play but it was ruined by Matt and he was punished with his 2nd trip to the island. That would have been the blindside of all time if he hadn't been such a wuss.

22. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Yeah, I was sooooo pissed when he f*ckin told Rob that they had a plan of blindsiding him.

23. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Andrea was never flipping though. If you take out Ometepe that's 5 votes against you in the jury. If Andrea makes it to the end as is (she's not) the Zapateras would probably vote for her. Really if either Grant or Andrea make it to the end they win unless they both make it which won't happen because Grant is obviously targeting her.

24. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    She says after the fact. She was obviously considering the idea until Matt threw her under the bus.

25. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    3 out of the last 4 individual immunities for Rob!!

See ya Andrea, hope you take out some Zaps/Matt at RI! :D

26. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Rob said it, "he's the person they should be taking out". Rob is playing a great game, but he's also being helped by opponents who aren't aggressive enough.

27. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Maybe so but he's also won almost half of the individual immunity challenges and 3 of the last 4. Even if they were smart enough to take him out, he'd actually have to lose first :P

28. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Another yawner.

29. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Best preview ever :P

[video=youtube;SDw6usyD_8w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDw6usyD_8w[/video]

30. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    He really did a great job pushing through that last immunity challenge. Grant blew a great opportunity there. I'm assuming he probably made more trips up and down the steps than Rob due to taking up the wrong planks. I was rooting for Andrea to pull off an upset just to make the vote more interesting but as with much of this season we kind of get the more predictable result.

Mike was crazy giving Ometepe the family time. I don't blame Ralph and Matt one bit for being pissed. The family visit episodes of any reality show annoy me anyway. I love my family and all but after doing eight years in the military I don't see thirty days as all that long of a time away from the family. I'd consider it a long time to not see children but brothers, sisters, parents when you're an adult.. come on. These contestants always start crying and cheesing it up like they haven't seen them for a decade or something.

31. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Very good episode. Ashley is LUCKY. I hope Grant takes out everyone at RI and comes back. He's definitely my #2 if Rob doesn't win.

Can't wait for the finale on Sunday.

32. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I'm happy something unexpected happened for once. It's helpful that Rob can still deny voting for Grant if need be. Even though Rob says he thought all of the scenarios through I think Ashley's idea that they needed Grant to go to Redemption to keep Mike from coming back into the game was a pretty good one. If Mike comes back Rob is toast. They're guaranteed to have a pretty ometepe hostile jury so they have to stop Mike from getting to the final three at all costs. I'm wondering if Rob is going to need that immunity idol at all.

Dolfan984 likes this.
  33. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    It's amazing how Phillip will still be alive by the finale. Unfackinbelievable

34. Zippy

Zippy The Man in Black. Club Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Sugar Grove, OH
    I do not know how they consistently find players who have never seen the show before. :shifty:

There is no way anyone who has seen Rob on the show before would be that loyal to him. On the bright side, I think Russel has to be fuming.

35. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Rob's always taken his alliance to the end. Some of them think he's a good goat to take to the end too. Ashley's deleted scene from last week explained that she thinks she can beat him in the jury. For what reason, we'll see if she or Rob makes it that far.

Zippy likes this.
  36. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I want Phillip to win. I think his strategy was pure genius. Act crazy enough to have others think they wont vote for him. If he gets in front of that jury and comes clean it would be a moment of pure genius. The others have all accepted he will be there at the end. The girls cant stand him and his pink underwear yet they are in no hurry to vote him out. Hope it comes back to bite them all. U call me crazy? Just like calling me a n*****. Beautiful.

37. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Phillip has been loyal to Rob for most of the game so I'm definitely rooting for him too. If any of Rob's true allies wins (Phillip, Natalie, Grant) I'll be okay with Rob not winning. And yes I know Grant got blindsided this week but had Ashley lost, I think she would be gone and not Grant.

38. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Grant was the best vote for Rob anyway. Ashley winning immunity was a blessing in disguise for Rob. Grant is the only one with a prayer of knocking Mike and Matt off of redemption island and out of the competition for good. Phillip's playing a pretty smart game realizing he's too old to win immunity challenges and compete that way. I'll be interested to hear his final argument. He has ticked off some zapatera guys which will hurt him to an extent. They still might be more inclined to vote for him over Rob and Ashley if they are the other two.

Dolfan984 likes this.
  39. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    As long as Natalie stays loyal. God damnit Natalie you better stay loyal Rob's had your back since day 1. If she stays loyal Rob is golden and IMO probably wins the game. Crazy Uncle Phil knows Rob's taking him to the end and hates those girls so you can count on him. I am very very happy Rob has the idol for one more round. If they can get the RI person off asap I'd say there's a 90% chance Rob wins the final immunity challenge. Him vs Ashley Natalie and Phillip? I just don't see Rob losing. It's going to be a very interesting finale.

muscle979 likes this.
  40. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I'm reallly curious how they bring back the RI person... and when...It would be unfair if they were brought back after two more people got voted off. I mean they bring them back as the third person left in the game and go straight to a jury vote. Redemption in the eyes of the jury? The ultimate redemption... hmmm... If the RI person comes back before that, they will have to win immunity straight away, and keep winning it. Their only chance to get to the final three.