1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Survivor - Redemption Island

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by BlameItOnTheHenne, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Russell = Ressell

Phillip = Phile

Krista = Krasta

Stephanie = Stifinie

I think that was it. Zapatera didn't do too much voting out except getting Russell's team out

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO a Boston accent is the opposite of cool. And a southern accent can sound stupid but can also sound laid back and non-threatening. If you ever heard of Jerry Spence (famous attorney), he had a heavy southern accent and he always came off as smart. IMO Russell's accent is not a handicap at all.

Dolfan984 likes this.
  3. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Rob has more of a drunk accent than Boston lol. Constantly slurring his words.

4. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Ever try applying for the show?

Dolfan984 likes this.
  5. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    I probably should eh? I've seriously considered it but I'd have to really think of what I'm going to put on video. They want extreme personalities or extremely hot people. While I'm a decent lookin fella, I'm no Mike :lol:

and if I applied I would definitely mention the survivors I've ran. I thought they might think it's unique the way I do it (every other online survivor blows compared to mine IMO :lol: ) and something they may not have seen from an applicant.

6. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    of course... there was that one Patriot fan from last season was it? That guy was from Boston area... not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

7. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    you should just take a pic of your Rob shrine and send it in... application accepted...

Dolfan984 likes this.
  8. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Jimmy T. Guy was awful and booted early for it. He really really didn't like Jimmy Johnson hahaha.

9. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    If it were only that easy Paul, if it were only that easy. :pointlol:

Paul 13 likes this.
  10. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I was about to post the exact same question.

11. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    You should definitely give it a shot. I'd give it a shot if I could afford to leave work for a month and a half or whatever. I don't know if I'd have much luck but maybe I could get in as the token military vet for the season or something.

12. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh man I'd have no clue how I'd do either. Big difference between an armchair survivor thinking strategies and then playing the game and socializing with everyone while starving. Worst part about me is I'm 6'3" 180 pounds and a gym rat. So yeah I'm in good shape and pretty strong for my size but I'd waste away pretty bad out there. My daily calorie intake is pretty high. You guys definitely got me thinking about it again though. :)

13. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    You should.
    I'd love to also. But they are racist towards Canadians and won't let us play.:tantrum:

Dolfan984 and Paul 13 like this.
  14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    You should go for Big Brother then?

Is it true that Canadians melt in temperatures above 50 degrees?

15. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Never watched it. Only reality TV I watch is Survivor and The Ultimate Fighter.

Ok I'm going to apply, what's the worst that could happen? :P I have a lot to think about in terms of what to put on that video.

16. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    reference my name... that'll get you in. :lol:

Dolfan984 likes this.
  17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Good luck!

Dolfan984 likes this.
  18. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    And I think this sums it up.

Russell on a strategic level is brilliant. He knows exactly the right moves to make at all times. I'll NEVER bash Russell on a strategic level. One of the best strategists ever. However, that's it. He's a pure strategist who has no clue how to deal with personalities in a social way. He's beyond arrogant, treats people like they're stupid if they don't agree, etc... Rob does this too... Although he did it behind their back and it was mostly tongue and cheek. Russell's strategic game and social game are polar opposites. Even Rob admitted on Regis and Kelly that the one thing he learned from his survivor experiences is that Survivor is a social game. Russell has NEVER understood that.

Also, I wanted to bring up a point I made in this thread earlier. Rob confirmed in post game interviews what I wrote in this thread. Zapetera was willing to give Russell a chance. They were not going to sand bag him, especially after his opening speech about bringing the tribe together rather than ripping it apart as he has done in the past. However, Zap told Rob and Co. that Russell immediately started his old antics after the speech, going to everyone and saying "so and so should go". One minute he's telling Mike that they need to stick together, and throwing him under the bus to other tribe members once Mike isn't in ear shot. After that, they knew he was not going to change.

If Russell had chilled out, built those social relationships, used those social relationships to build strong alliances, Russell goes to the merge. Who knows how the game changes. Russell screwed Russell. Period.

Also, HvV is tainted. I'm not sure how big of fans of survivor you guys are, but it's confirmed that Parvati knew Russell because she visited her BFF Erika Shay (casting director at the time, she was fired after HvV for what happened) during Samoa. She had insider info on him when no one else did. Which is why during HvV she said something to the effect of "Russell is a powerful force, and I need to align with him." Parvati also lost her hand picked goat (Danielle) because she couldn't manage Russell. She never made a move that Russell didn't drive.

Parvati won FvF with major help from Cirie, one of the most underrated players EVER. The ONLY reason Parv won FvF was because there was a final 2 and not final 3. The reason there wasn't a final 3 was because of the injuries that removed James and Johnathon (who I love) and the quits of Kathy and Chet. The producers had to get another jury member and so they switched it. If cirie makes F3, she wins and Parvati isn't known as some great player.

IMO, the best players of all time are as followed.

1. Brian Heidik- What Rob did in Redemption island, Brian did in Thailand. He doesn't have charm and charisma that explodes like Rob, but he was a cold hearted killer. I really think he's a sociopath. Rob even copied his strategy in ***, HvV, and RI. Truly the best ever IMO.

2. Richard Hatch- This one is tough. Richard figured out every aspect of the game before ANYONE else. That's huge IMO. That said, could he ever duplicate his success? In *** he was persona non grata from day 1, and he never stood a chance. From listening to his survivor strategy philosophy, I say he could. Although we'll never know because he's a dumbass as a human being.

3. Boston Rob- Rob played Marquesas in a way no one had ever seen. He was brash, arrogant, and unpredictable. He has multiple deals with EVERYONE. That had never happened before he showed up. One thing that always killed me, was in Marq. he lost the first individual immunity (his last ep) because he goofed up and tried to splash John (i think it was John) and fell off. If he wins that immunity (I believe he would of) then Rob leads the charge the next ep to crush the Rotu 4. I really believe if Rob wins immunity, he makes final 2. Does he win? No... He was too abrasive and survivor was a different game then. People like him weren't rewarded with wins. His All-Star game was AMAZING. However he didn't always treat people good (like Russell). A last second tribe switch, which was totally idiotic, hurt him too. HvV was an oddity. Bad luck, stubborness, and some shady business prior to the season did him in. RI Rob was masterful. Perfect game IMO.

4. Tina Wesson- UNDERRATED like a beast... Such a great social player. She was everyone's soccer mom for her tribe AND the other. How many people could of beat Colby in survivor 2? One person... Tina. And she manipulated him into making one of the biggest blunders of all-time.

5. Todd Herzog- I was going to put Tom Westman here, but Ultimately I felt his strategic game wasn't as good as Todd. Tom was a great challenge warrior, great social player, but he had way too simplistic of a strategy and the other players follies in Palau helped him a bit. He never stood a chance on HvV, so I'm going to ignore that. Todd was not that physical, but he was amazing socially and strategically. He knew the game and inside and out and ran China like a boss.

Paul 13 and Dolfan984 like this.
  19. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Redemption Island has to change if it's going to work at all. The person who comes back needs some sort of immunity to let them work angles otherwise people just re-vote them out. Give them 1 or 2 rounds of immunity that way they have a shot at getting into the politics and changing things up.

20. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Definitely, at least give them one round of immunity. What a dismal failure redemption island was. I doubt they bring it back at all.

21. Dolfan984

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Remember though if Matt goes to Zapatera the entire game changes. Matt wasn't a good player other than challenges so I think that hurt it a lot. I mean going to Rob and telling him the plan that he thought out to get him out? You just don't do that with an All-Star of Rob's caliber. Imagine if that was Russell instead of Rob, now that would've been some hilarious television.

I think RI works when there isn't 1 King of the Hill running it. He had hardly any relationships in the game and I think that hurt him most of all....well that and he's a horrible survivor player.

22. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Automatic immunity? **** that... That's bull**** and I would stop watching if that happened. Thankfully Probst admitted that there will be no tweaks next year. Automatic immunity is bad for the game. There's no reason for it. You either win Individual immunity or you don't.

the RI people already have a huge advantage. They can bond with the people already voted off. And if one tribe is decimated (like this season), then the person who comes back is clearly going to win. If Matty or Mike had won, they win the game. Is that really fair? Hell no. Boston Rob deserved to win because he mind ****ed everyone and dominated the game in a way NO ONE had ever done before him. But if Mike or Matt (for example, this applies to Steve, Julie, David, Ralph, etc...) come back, they win for being losers and bonding with the other losers.

I think RI as a great concept pre-merge. Pre-merge works great IMO. However, post merge? Total BS because of the jury involvement. I get that TPTB want the game to be less predictable (having eight people vying for the win in the final episode, which sparks more viewers) but post merge RI ruins the concept of the game, IMO. It will allow undeserving people to have a chance at winning.

Dolfan984 likes this.
  23. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Well, they won't tweak RI, but if they did, this is the way I would change it. Put a hidden immunity idol on RI BUT if the idol is played by the RI winner at tribal then anyone else holding an idol has the option to play theirs as well, after the fact. It would flush all the idols at least for the time being and make things interesting. Of course, if the RI idol goes out of the game via an RI loser, then it should be gone forever... at least the others who aren't on RI would be unaware as to its location and that may affect how they play the game once the RI winner comes back.

24. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    IMO losers choosing the winner is one of the biggest faults of the game period. Butthurt jury members get intoxicated with their newfound relevance in the game and don't seem to tend to actually care about who the best player was that season. This is why you see things like in HVV where Amanda is given the money over Parvati who was a superior player in every way.

I agree that if Matt or Mike would have returned to the game and won the final immunity challenge they would have run away with the vote.

25. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    You should stop watching based on what this RI was. It was a complete waste of time because they just get automatically booted back out because they don't have a connection with the folks. They have no time to. If their only solution is to win individual immunity then scrap the whole thing now cause it's absolutely a waste of time. I'm probably not going to watch the next one because it's still got RI without tweaks. Too much of the show dedicated to something that purely doesn't work at all.

26. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    That's ridiculous... The survivors create the world they live in and are judged on their actions. Fact is, Sandra won because Russell once again got rid of his goats (Candice and Danielle) and chose to take Parvati who was a strong player and Sandra, who was not all that good strategically and physically, but had made friends with the jurors.

That's not a flaw in the game, that's a flaw in strategy by the "best player." Parvati on her part was not such a good player that she could stop Russell from destroying her end game (He was her goat, but she failed to lock in a #2)

I think Rob just proved my point for me. If you replace Rob with Russell, do you really think he would of been dumb enough to get rid of Candice, who was hated by the heroes? Or Danielle, who wasn't respected by anyone? Of course not... Rob brings them to the final 3 and wins.