1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swedish researchers find world's oldest living tree

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by ILPhinFan88, Apr 18, 2008.

1. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

STOCKHOLM (AFP) - The world's oldest living tree on record is a nearly 10,000 year-old spruce that has been discovered in central Sweden, Umeaa University said on Thursday.

Researchers had discovered a spruce with genetic material dating back 9,550 years in the Fulu mountain in Dalarna, according to Leif Kullmann, a professor of Physical Geography at the university in northwestern Sweden.

That would mean it had taken root in roughly the year 7,542 BC.

Scientists had previously believed the world's oldest trees were 4,000 to 5,000 year-old pine trees found in North America.

The new record-breaking tree was discovered in Dalarna in 2004 when Swedish researchers were carrying out a census of tree species in the region, Kullman said.

The tree's genetic material age had been calculated using carbon dating at a laboratory in Miami, Florida.

Spruces, which according to Kullmann offer rich insight into climate change, had long been regarded as relatively newcomers in the Swedish mountain region.

The discovery of the ancient tree had therefore led to "a big change in our way of thinking," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/swedennatureoffbeat

2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Does this mean the world is more than 10,000 years old? Or was that the first tree ever created?
    ;)

3. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

Are we sure this is accurate? For all we know, they just asked the tree how old it was, and it wanted to appear to be more mature... or maybe it wanted to be old enough to drink.

4. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

Whats the legal drinking age for a tree?

5. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    The article says that the tree was carbon dated

6. phineas64

If the tree wants to lie about it's age, it should drink more Coke (carbonated water, hahah)

Celt, I was j/k about the age thing, all ancient things get carbon dated, and it's pretty accurate, geologically speaking of course. Pretty soon my kids will suggest carbon dating for me I suppose.

I'm in of those days where everything just prompts some silly *** thought and I'm lettin' them come out today. Good thing no customers have dropped in.... :lol:

Celtkin likes this.
  7. phineas64

I think it's sapling, or is it stripling? Either way, this one went way past credibility with the tree police with it's claim. :lol:

8. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Sure the SWEDISH found the oldest tree ever in SWEDEN...bunch of lying neutral blonde pansies...

i KNOW theres some ancient *** tree in asia or africa thats way older.

9. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    i KNOW you can prove that... :shifty: righttt ?