1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tact

Discussion in 'SoapBox - Rants forum' started by ckparrothead, Dec 14, 2012.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Omar Kelly no hazz it.

First off I want to apologize in that when unluckyluciano brought up the school shooting earlier today in the thread about the effort to fund a mobile billboard that says "JEFFIRELAND" on it, I made a joke in response. Not one in poor taste about the shooting or the incident, an unrelated joke. I actually had no ****ing clue what unluckyluciano was referring to as I can often be pretty bubbled up when I'm at work.

But as I started to find out and I checked twitter I start to see what everyone's talking about and I felt really, really bad, for a number of reasons, but one of them being that I didn't know what unluckyluciano was referring to and so made a joke in response. So there's that.

But as I'm reading through my timeline, I can't help but notice Omar's responses during all this. First off there was a certain point he clearly also didn't know what was going on so no worries on that. His reaction at first seemed sincere enough, retweeting tweets about wanting to hug your kids and stuff.

But then he comes up with this gem:

"Sad, sad, sad day in America. I'm not sure what would motivate someone to kill anyone they don't know, especially children."

I mean, seriously...WTF? Who reacts like this? So if you know the person and you've got beef, you 'get it'? I hate to be that guy but that's some off-putting way to word it.

But it gets worse. You scroll further in the timeline and he retweets a response. Someone was replying to him that "Hate that is what motivates this type of violence" and Omar responds, "trust me, I know PLENTY about people spreading hate."

And then what does he do? Goes on one of his patented twitter rants about how many haters he has and how "DISRESPECT will have me turn into Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction. The last thing I am is a punk. I don't scare easy, and I don't back down. Not how I was raised. Not in my DNA. Better check the resume."

At a time when my entire ****ing timeline of people I'm following are in the throes of gut-wrenched, emotional, angry, sad feelings about what's going on...this guy's equating the hate that leads to these shooters to his twitter critics, and going on rants about how he ain't no punk and he'll go all "Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction" on you (open gun reference, btw) if you disrespect him.

Seriously.

What. The. ****.

I go easy on the guy because it seems EVERYONE hates the guy nowadays, and I guess at heart I've got a little contrarian in me, but also because he works at the Sun Sentinel and even though there's no way I can say I "work at the Sun Sentinel" the fact of the matter is I do blog there during draft season and I like to keep a working relationship with him. But this is just ****ed up. Or maybe the whole thing is too emotional and I'm not seeing it right.

No, it's ****ed up.

xphinfanx, SICK, PhiNomina and 3 others like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Suspect Kelly is Bi-Polar.

3. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    110% ****ed up. He has no filter.

4. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Agree, Chris.

It's quite arrogant and disgustingly insensitive for this douche to turn a terrible ****ing tragedy into a me-me-me moment.
    Sun Sentinel should fire him on the spot to prevent from any disgrace by association.

5. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not all about the firing stuff with a guy like him because unlike the millionaire athletes, coaches and front office guys...Omar's just a middle class working stiff with a family to support. But still, GOD DAMN dude, get a ****ing grip! Twenty kids just got murdered in a school and you're all like "I ain't gon' back down, I won't be punked, I'll go all Sammy L. on yo ***, it's in my DNA!"

6. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    don't think he's bipolar. I just think the twit is (1) very insecure and (2) doesn't think before he speaks/tweets.

7. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    don't need a mental disorder to be an ***hole.

8. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Could the reference been regarding murder and murder suicide?? I don't know Mr Kelly and I only know you from this board. But, on the outside looking in, it seems like a comment made by someone who possibly knows that 85% of murders and murder suicides are committed by someone the person knows. I would assume he would have been referring to the fact that it is extremely rare for this type of crime to occur randomly making it's impact all the more intense.

Now, I am not saying that the feelings of these parents, the community, teachers and leaders are any more or less important then anyone else this has happened to. What I am saying is people will look for a reason; a understanding of what happened and why did this occur. I mean they are looking into his background. Events leading up to this terrible event, etc. The fact that the ******* who did this doesn't know any of the people makes it more difficult to understand. Understanding is part of the start of the healing process. Personally I don't think I could handle it and no amount of understanding would make me change my feelings on what I would want to do to this individual had I been directly impacted. It is a tragic tragic event and when I heard about it I immediately went and hugged both my kids who are home schooled. I thank God for having the ability to be able to do that for them. My wife try's very hard to give them an excellent education.

9. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    While I don't he meant it like that, he still lacked tact in this one.

ckparrothead likes this.
  10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    And that was my point. Hence the thread title.

11. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I just don't understand the hostility. You're a professional Omar. Why invite the hostility?

[​IMG]

12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Hes the type that says his own name during sex, a complete ****ing egotistical wart in society. The guy gets paid chump change to write for a dying media. He thinks he's Rush Limbaugh.

Hey Omar, Shut up and tell me when Nolan Carrol is expected back....When I want to hear about who's a good player, what a good player does well, or about the route tree....Ill listen to someone who knows what hes talking about, not a paper pushing E-thug.

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Ouch. Well, it wasn't my intention to start up an Omar bash-fest but then I guess it wasn't my intention to prevent it either.

I just got really, really turned off by how he was conducting himself on twitter as the news is coming out and people all over twitter are just openly upset, sad, heartfelt, etc...and he's sitting there going off on a rant about his critics and comparing the hate from his critics to the hate that leads to the shooting of 20 children.

Just have a little tact man, yeesh.

14. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Just delete him from Twitter. I did a while back and my feed is significantly more enjoyable to read now.

15. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    .... but this is so much more fun, Chris. lol

BTW, did you take my advice on the Olivia Munn birthday photo?

16. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Hahaha he said he caters to the upper class level of fans.

The upper part of the trashcan maybe.