1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tampa Bay Bucs vs Miami Dolphins - Pre-Season Game Thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Aug 24, 2013.

1. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Yeah, you always get that, "I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist" line that is frankly an unrealistic assessment.

And you're right, that I don't see many posters on this board who believe we'll win the SB every year or are even predicting 12+ wins per year. (other than the likely joke that someone will probably post later in this thread saying we'll win the SB and win 12+ games this year. LOL). The "optimists" are repeatedly bashed as Pollyanna's for predicting 8-8 even though that's about where Vegas has us the last few years. The pessimists will keep pounding the table for 4 - 5 wins and be wrong the vast majority of the time.

MrClean and Fin D like this.
  2. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Good point.

Based on the stuff I see on twitter from the negative crowd, it's the "cool" thing to do to constantly hate on everything the organization does.

Here's a perfect example: Jared Odrick made a great play the other night and got a sack, the negative crowd didn't acknowledge the great play, instead they turned to bash his celebration dance. That stuff gets infuriating to see day in and day out. But as I've said, I'm sure when the team starts winning again it won't be a problem. I don't doubt their passion. If they didn't care they wouldn't be saying anything.

And if you don't like the Pee-Wee dance, kindly leave.

Fin D likes this.
  3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I've been characterized as a hatemonger last year for predicting 7-9 and this year for predicting 8-8.

STColeridge likes this.
  4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's an example of only seeing the negative side. Much of that is just an attempt at humor (much like I assume the dance is), but it gets annoying when some in that crowd ignore or don't put any importance on the positive side.

MrClean likes this.
  5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    None of it is really an excuse to engage in personal attacks on a guy because of that though.

STColeridge, Boik14 and Stringer Bell like this.
  6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    And the reason why no one has asked to ban you is that you haven't made that prediction with glee, to the point of starting every post with ROFLOL when the Dolphins fumble or make another miscue.

MrClean, ToddPhin and Boik14 like this.
  7. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    You're neutral though. You call it as you see it whether it's positive or negative, which is great. I don't have an issue with anyone predicting a mediocre season from us because A. It's been the norm for us recently and B. We need to prove it on the field. I don't always agree with you but I respect you for calling it down the middle.

That's exactly it. It's the complete lack of acknowledgement from anything positive that's annoying. I don't mind the humor either, I'll laugh at anti-Dolphin jokes when they're funny, which can be quite often.

I agree. I personally have never attacked any poster because I don't agree with them, even in the most frustrating of times because it's not my style.

ckparrothead likes this.
  8. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I didnt say the treatment is unequal. I simply said you cant expect that people will just sit back with you me or anyone else bashing the snot out of the team we all love. Its not like we're expected to be terrible this year. Its not like we're heading in to a lame duck year like we did when RW retired or when we went in with AJ Feeley at QB or a lame duck coach. There are some, albeit modest (make the playoffs or at least finish 9-7) expectations for this team. If you or I sit back and have absolutely nothing positive to say about the team do you think people will get tired of our act quick? We may get treated differently because people know we arent trolling but I know when I have a negative opinion of something or someone on this team and the general consensus is that the player or coach or GM is ok I have a 100 posters asking why. I know you have had a dissenting opinion on a player or a coach or a GM and I know I have. People are definitely less happy to respond to that type of post particularly if they have a sense of optimism. Theres no way, none, that on a Dolphins board everyone is going to be ok with you and bashing the team endlessly in a season where we have some expectations and optimism.

Im not going to ban someone because they have negative opinions but if theyre doing it to draw attention to themselves then thats a distraction that disturbs everyone elses experience on the board. Is that right? Also there is a distinction between being negative and being negative and antagonizing. If we're posting "this team is a joke lol" and posting "ROFL" every time there is a miscue how do you think we would be received then?

9. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion. From my experience I would suggest backing negative opinions with facts and research and it tends to go over better and you will get less pushback as well as gain more respect from other members. I know when I post a negative opinion I know its generally not going to be popular but if you respond with something to back up your claim/opinion then its looked at differently.

Fin D likes this.
  10. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Is it because you predicted 8-8, or because you seemed to enter 90% of the threads that were "basking in optimism" with a negative approach?? :shifty:

11. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Still LUVIN our starting defense and the way the 2nd teamers gave Josh Freeman a defeated look of "Why is my *** getting handed to me by backups?!"

On a quick teeny weeny side note:
    :jt0323:

ahhh you mean like how you insinuated you slept with a poster's mother??? And as for the rest of your post..... :unsure:
    I went back through all your posts in this thread and EVERY.SINGLE.ONE is about either crapping on the team or being discourteous toward another poster. The majority are condescending, antagonizing, and combative. You actions have been troll-like in every sense of the word so please spare us the "boo hoo I'm such a victim" drivel. Being a Dolphins fan [allegedly] isn't a justifiable excuse for your piss-on-everything-and-everyone attitude, because if you were instead a Jets fan, you likely wouldn't be tolerated. Here are some gifts you bestowed upon this thread, as well as from the Miami-Dallas game.
    Going through your posts it's painfully obvious that I'd rather have WagonCircler reinstated than listen to you. At least I could blame the nature of his posts on the fact he's a Bills fan. I ditched the Bucs gameday thread b/c of your presence. After all, I watch Dolphins games & participate in gameday threads for enjoyment, not the displeasure of listening to some rogue poster condemn everything & everyone while cramming his annoying, overbearing condescension down our throats under a warped sense of self-entitlement. Miami fans come here b/c it's a home away from home, a place to get away from the boredom and monotony of daily life, a place to hang out with long time friends and discuss the Dolphins, you know- b/c we actually ENJOY & CHERISH football season plus need an excuse to get away from the wife & kids. Even if Miami finishes 4-12 they'd still be my team and I'd still find greater joy in watching a losing effort than not watching any football whatsoever, which is commonplace fan mentality, a distinction that seem to give little credence to. So this all begs the question- why are you even on here? You clearly have nothing good to say about Miami, feel it's a waste to watch the games, want the team to finish dead last, and obviously care more about annoying others than making friends.

Just so you know- it's one thing to be down about the team without compromising the substance of your posts or the worth you bring to the forum but it's another to believe you're entitled to act like a turd and diminish the quality of the forum just b/c the team has you in a pissy, sky-is-falling mood. It's bad enough that, if there were twenty STColeridges posting in the Bucs Gameday Thread, then the thread would've contained exactly twenty posters, unless you pissed yourself off too and it dropped to ten. That's not an attack, just a factual opinion.

Following this post you will be the first to enter my ignore list. I'm hoping others follow suit in order to reduce the frequency of your posts being quoted.

btfu149, djphinfan, gandalfin and 9 others like this.
  12. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Todd s SOOOO good at winning arguments.

btfu149, ToddPhin and cuchulainn like this.
  13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, as for the team being good or bad, basically our first 5 games are our season...again.

5 games, against 3 AFC teams who we probably will be competing for a WC slot with (depending on how things work out for the Browns) Atl and Nola legit playoff contenders in the NFC.

One of the things that have killed us in the last 3 yrs is slow starts that basically eliminate us from playoff contention by week #11.

14. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Well we were in the hunt last year right up until the end...even if we didn't have a prayer of beating NE. Those 2 FGs loomed very large.

But I have to agree...those first 5 this year are crucial.

15. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!

Tiger Blood infused Warlock is what he is!

ToddPhin likes this.
  16. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    I wasn't personal but I will say he has an agenda to wind ppl up and add to it by adding unfactual comments bordering on trolling.I won't even mention his calling ppl out for a bet beit for charity or whatever which I found to be in poor taste and also confrontational. Those comments were not in a friendly manner. That's just being clever imo. Very shortsighted with some of his comments or a fan of another team in my opinion. I've seen more balance in the Titanic an hr after it hit that lump of ice. notice I havnt mentioned anybody's name which is all going by the book and being pleasant. I will leave it at that.

MrClean likes this.
  17. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    Yet no one is threatened with being "banned" because they are "sunshine blowers". You can disagree with my statements. Fine. Literally speaking, yes, Tannehill hit "some" WRs in stride. Many more, in that game in other games this year, he has not. I don't think he played great yet in the PS. I hope he does.

But the bottom line is, I have put my money where my mouth is. I am not negative. I am honest. I am not a troll, I am a realist. Why can't we just disagree? Look on the brightside...if I am really this far off, you guys will be able to say, "i told you so" all year.

18. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    And rightfully so. We finished with seven wins...Thats far from 13 wins.

19. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    Thanks. I appreciate the entitlement. Seriously. I am a huge Fins fan and I want them to win. I would love to be wrong. I've waited a long time for them to be good.

I will take your advice. I will be more pointed in my criticisms and less "general". Hopefully that can lead to more specific discussions. Thanks again. I hope the Fins are better than I perceive them. I want nothing more for them to challenge the Pats.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  20. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    I do not have an agenda and I was not being confrontational. I apologize if thats how i came off. I could have been defensive because the blowback was fierce and extremely personal.

21. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I very much thought we were going 3-13 last year, and I will gladly admit I'm wrong. I truly have no problem with anyone discussing negative topics, but I feel certain posters EXCLUSIVELY post negative "we suck" comments.....I mean c'mon you could at least mention Cameron Wake and other positive aspects of the team.

In the end I feel like I can speak for everyone saying we are all very sick of losing, but seriously you don't need to come to a Dolphins fan message board just to come and say non stop negative stuff.

ToddPhin likes this.
  22. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

That's cause me and the missus brought him up right.

ToddPhin likes this.
  23. Drowning

Drowning ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH

Dec 20, 2007
    ST you have to Cooleridge out. See what I did there?

Just trying to be funny. I haven't read the thread.

I couldn't even see the game. I was bedridden sick. My fiancée new the severity seeing as I didn't make an effort to get out of bed.

So if any are up and bored. How was Tanna. Saw some highlight where he was roping it between the #s.

Dline were the stars.

Saw a blown coverage Freeman overthrow that would've been 7. Our DBs are not looking sound in technique.

Oline? Martin? I'm an open book if ur up, bored, and willing.

24. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    There is a lot of I's in there. If I was thinking clearly I would think you might be putting a little too many I's in there.

25. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Does your user name here mean you are a fan of poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge who wrote The Rime of the Ancient Mariner?

26. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Henne looked sharp.

Calvin Jackson had trouble staying with the slot receivers all game.

Disoriented?

Drowning likes this.