1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannehill "lost confidence" in his OC Mike Sherman...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SICK, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Well, Joe Philbin, I hope Sherman pays your family's bills for the next few years, because you need to be fired for tying your fortunes to Sherman this stubbornly.

2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    On one hand you could argue that Sherman was handcuffed in his play calling due to the protection schemes, that's about as far as I will go to defend him.

After Ireland I really could be convinced to keep or fire everyone else...but at this point it seems to be best if Sherman is let go deservedly or not.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    He certainly was handcuffed in some aspects. My issue is more that he never teiend anything new to make those cuffs less tight.

4. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

If this is true then Jeff Ireland's attempts to survive and keep his job are directly creating rifts between the coaches and players and sabotaging the team's chances for success.

5. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have never said Tannehill can't develop into a quality NFL QB. All I have stated is that right now he is merely an average NFL QB and he needs to continue to show drastic improvement in his third season next year before I will be convinced he is the long term answer for the Dolphins.

I agree he played very well in some games this year. I also recognize that the OL was terrible and this created a situation in which the running game became more of a liability than an asset. I was just disappointed that going up against two of the weaker teams in the NFL the past two weeks, Tannehill played his two worse games of the entire season.

I'm certainly willing to wait until he has a better OL and better RB's before I give up on him. I just want to see him take it to another level next year. He now has two full years as a QB in the NFL. So the excuse that he has limited experience at the position and needs time to develop is now over, as far as I am concerned. I hope he has a great season next year and that he takes that giant step up to the next tier of QB's in the NFL. I am just not convinced at THIS TIME he is the long term answer for the Dolphins. Perhaps he will convert me next season.

6. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    They both suck, GM & Coach. It's pretty simple. If "battle lines" are being drawn and there's this much disconnect, get rid of them both.

Let me ask you this...if it happens now, don't you think it'll happen again if there is some issue? Like won't Joe Philbin try and put the blame on someone again if things are wrong?

Just get rid of them both. We have some really nice parts, find someone that's innovative enough to move with the flow and get them to work.

7. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

Thanks Rocky, I needed a good laugh today.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  8. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    Sherman needs to "48, go go."

mi2cents and Colmax like this.
  9. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Definitely been going on for awhile. IMO

10. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    The epitomy of cluelessness; a disconnect so profound that a beat reporter had to break the news about his own team.

OR—that he knew or suspected, but didn't expect that anybody else would find out. Which is a self-imposed ignorance beyond clueless.

ToddPhin, MAFishFan, MrClean and 2 others like this.
  11. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    either way, hes not HC material.

jw3102 and NaboCane like this.
  12. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    He had two straight rough games.

You do realize that he is the ONLY reason we were in the position to play our way into the playoffs? Despite no running game, the worst offensive line in franchise history and an idiot calling his plays.

Colorado Dolfan and MAFishFan like this.
  13. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I only hold the Jets game against Tannehill. That he didn't turn the ball over with that complete CF of an offensive line job is a miracle. I don't think he should have thrown for 40 tries against the Jets either, but I don't think it'd make a difference in the long run.

14. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    And if Philbin can not do what is necessary (why hasn't at LEAST Turner been fired?) then he is not head coaching material. He is too loyal to his staff, a staff that he assembled and has in hindsight, turned out to be a disaster area.

Steve Ross MUST do what he doesn't want to do. Blow. It. Up.

Show courage and gut it.

This is not a bare cupboard. We have a quarterback in place, some decent skill players and some scattered pieces.

NaboCane likes this.
  15. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I actually don't hold the Jets game against Tannehill.

Yes, he missed the deep ball to Wallace. It was the only one we tried (OC failure). He lost his most reliable target (Luck). Mathews dropped what I think was a touchdown pass (he had no one in front of him). We ran one, ONE screen pass (OC fail, when will we get good at screen passes? It's been a ****ing decade since we could run a decent screen). Wallace slipped on the first INT (Luck).

He was scatter shot early in the game BUT when he was throwing to the middle of the field, he was hitting his targets. When that is happening, and your quarterback is off, you try and attack the middle of the field, run a screen, lean on the run game a little. Sherman did none of those things. He is incompetent and is holding Tannehill back.

16. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Based on your logic that it was only Tannehill who was responsible for the 8 wins and the the possibility of being a playoff team. I guess that means that his play in the 8 losses was also the reason this team didn't end up making the playoffs.

So basically he played good in 8 games and bad in 8 games. That equates to him being very average and that is what he is at this time.

MrClean likes this.
  17. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    We have to draft a day 2 quarterback there's no question and with Murray's injury, he may very well slip to us. Not sure what anyone has against using a 3rd/4th round pick on a quarterback when Tannehill has lead us to ZERO playoff appearances. If we don't make the playoffs next year AGAIN, are you guys seriously going to tell me the 4th year is the year? Bring in Murray, light a fire under Tannehill's *** and if he isn't a new improved quarterback then move on.

18. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    No offense, but a one sentence Tweet starting with the phrase, "I heard..." is hardly something to be taken as breaking news.

19. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Keith the one difference is we have the right QB now , at least imo.

We won't know if we can be better offensively unless we get an OC that is a plus not a negative.

20. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Yup, blaming Tannehill again.

This board is ****ing hilarious. Ignore the Oline, horrid play calling, no running game, defense tanking at the worst times...blame the QB.

21. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Boy..tell u what..I was impressed with Mike Wallace. Just listened to an interview and when asked what he needs to work on...he said..coming back and going to get the football. Said he needs to quit worrying so much about scoring..and just making the play..or getting a pass interference called. Surprised to here his candor.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That would help a lot.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  23. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

How could you even tell?

24. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Foles was disappointment last year huh?He only played 7 games and his qb rating was better than tannehills.If tannehill was doing that here chip Kelly or not, I really don't think you would be saying lets see what he does when the nfl fiqures it out.I see foles play every week because I live 15 min from philly and he is a much better qb than tannehill.Never thought that was possible before the season but its not even close.

25. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    Excellent Sir...excellent
    [​IMG]

26. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Actually mort has totally dropped the ball and released misinformation quite a bit in the recent past.

27. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    WADR, can you supply this evidence?

I can't remember any of those guys reporting on false information or reporting something that turned out to be false.

And either way, my point still stands that these national guys (Mort, Schefter, Clayton, Rappaport) have legitimate sources. This isn't enduro (finheaven's notorious Jeff Ireland drinking buddy), incarcerated bob, or any local blogger we're talking about

28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    The problem is average is about 16th in the league. Where as Ryan was in the top 10-12 of almost every statistic that matters.

He's at least slightly above average.

29. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    This is interesting, to say the least. Firstly, who are these "people" Rappaport spoke with? Secondly, this supposed sentiment should have never made it out of the locker room.

Disagree with your boss all you want, but do not let it go public. Tannehill is indirectly 'quoted', so he gets a pass. But if he comes out publicly against Sherman? Where does it stop? Does he criticize the HC for not fluffing his pillows for him?

Of course, I am joking, but I believe criticizing personnel stays in-house. Regardless of personal feelings, coaches coach, players play, and GMs ask potential draft picks about their mother's occupation.

And while people are certainly entitled to their opinions, if you wear the uniform, respect the organization. While it is not uncommon to criticize superiors, the media and the NFL is a different beast. We should have never known about this.

It may also be from some brass infighting. If that is the case, I still feel the same way. This is NOT the way things gets handled. While Sherman might ultimately get the axe, he deserves to not hear rumblings about how his QB is displeased with him via Twitter. I know this is the way things are, but they do not have to be this way. #displeasedwiththereport

30. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    if he played like **** due to his discontent then tanny will be like jay cutler and such to me.
    Having said that, I doubt that he played like **** because of that. He's still young and learning. I think he'll improve.

31. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    He's also got a substantially better supporting cast around him. I know we all like to blame or credit 1 position out of 22 for the success or failure of a team but this is still a team sport.

Foles has the #1 RB, #1 G, #1 C, #4 OT, #7 WR, #6 and #8 TE around him. Foles is certainly making plays but he's got a tremendous amount of talent around him.

Meanwhile, RTH had the worst OL and one of the worst running games in the NFL. RTH definitely needs to improve but the failure of this team falls on a lot of shoulders, especially on offense.

cuchulainn and Rhody Phins Fan like this.
  32. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    At least we know that tannehill can take it. He's strong willed and confident.

33. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Well most recently in relation to us, pretty much everything they, "reported" on the Martin thing was incorrect initially. Fin D had that thread that kept track of it if you want to see.

34. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I never complained about him. The first time he left, the defense took a step backwards under Vince Costello, and the 2nd time he left the same happened with Chuck Studley. Anyone that complained about Arnsparger were just ignorant.

35. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Schefter also said Incognito was guilty of punching a security guard and that turned out to be blatantly untrue.

SICK likes this.
  36. MrClean

Sherman should do the humane thing and just retire.

37. MrClean

Luck had a better year. Foles had a better year.

38. MrClean

When it comes to our pass blocking, "protection schemes" would be an oxymoron.

39. smhemi

smhemi Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Why is it that Tom Brady has had about 5 different OC and that teams offense just keeps on rolling along?Broncos changed OC this year and I think they may have scored the most points ever in the NFL, and there offense last year wasnt to shabby. Me thinks if you got great QBs it makes your OC look really really good.And just think if RT completes maybe 1/2 of those bombs he threw to wallace this year we probably are not even talking about firing Shermen today.

40. MrClean

He was 27th out of 42 QBs who played at least 25% of their team's snaps, in passer rating. That's not even the median. He was actually below average compared to his peers in 2013.