Tannehill, Palmer, Flynn and Kolb

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ohio Fanatic, Apr 1, 2013.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    You're underestimating the chances that the Browns would take Tannehill at #3 overall or that some team (the Seahawks, Chiefs AND Eagles were all rumored) would jump in front of Miami to take Tannehill off the board.

It was really the same thing. Jeff Ireland even admitted afterward he was very antsy about whether Tannehill would make it to #8 overall and he explored some trade up options to make sure he got there. In fact I believe he cited one specific bit of information he had that a team was going to jump in front of us and get Tannehill, which had him thinking about a trade up. But he decided to sweat it out.

Ultimately, Jeff Ireland is a very principled guy when it comes to those kinds of things, for better and worse...so he called the bluff and sweated it out even with David Garrard in the fold instead of Matt Flynn. But it was really the same thing as with the Seahawks. I don't think they have Jeff's willingness to sweat out a situation like that though, so having Flynn was a key part of being able to wait until the 3rd for Wilson.

ssmiami likes this.
  2. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Have you spoken with some of the people that were out there protesting and that interviewed with the papers? I have.

3. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I agree. I'm just saying, let's back off the Ireland is a genius talk here. He was shrewd, and it paid off ... maybe. We don't know yet. Let's see how Flynn works out in Oakland which, isn't a great place at all lol.

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I still don't think Miami viewed Flynn as anything other than a stop gap. I just don't think they offer a guy that low a contract if they think he has a chance starting for anything more than a very brief time period. Its like Ross said about it after, if Philbin wanted him badly enough, he would have been here.

5. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Oakland has a LOT of bad things to sort through left over from the Al Davis/Hue Jackson days. But they're under new management and they're a different team with a different vision now. It's night and day.

CWBIII and MrClean like this.
  6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yeah, there's probably some over done ball cupping going on, but after 7th ring of hell that was last offseason, I'd think we'd all be happy there's even reason to be overly optimistic.

7. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    CK, Completely understand but you usually don't get out of that mess that quickly. It'll be a few years if they do everything right.

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Both teams viewed Matt Flynn as an insurance policy. Both teams were going to take young passers in the draft that they loved, regardless. Both teams wouldn't have batted an eyelash if Matt Flynn had started playing like a pro bowler before the young guy they drafted could prove himself.

Ohio Fanatic and ssmiami like this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Right neither would have batted an eyelash....but one was more sure that wouldn't ever happen, hence the considerably lower offer. I think the only reason they talked to Flynn before Garrard was age and familiarity with the offense. i think Seattle thought there was a chance he could be a solution. But we are both speculating, so who knows.

10. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I have a hard time giving SEA credit for thinking THAT highly of Wilson if they waited til the 3rd to take him.

CWBIII, mbsinmisc, MrClean and 2 others like this.
  11. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    It's a game. You think you know where he's going to go, and how much you like him. It's a risk, of course. Nobody is guaranteed anything in the NFL. Andrew Luck might not be anything better than mediocre. RG3 might not ever play a game again. Russell Wilson might be figured out and ineffective in the future. Who knows.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    people get paid to know, or at least now more than the others, bottom line every Gm out there who needed a Qb made a mistake in their evaluation of Russell Wilson...it's ok to play the I know something that you don't game, but not in the third round, and not with a franchise caliber Qb.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  13. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Thanks for at least admitting you're more interested in bashing imaginary people than you are in actually talking about the topic.

ckparrothead likes this.
  14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Of course but there's a premium on QBs as we all know and if you really believed Wilson had a good chance to be a solid starter then there's no way you wait that long.

15. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Tannehill, Palmer,Flynn and then Kolb in that order is who I would pick if i could have any of these qbs, and its Tannehill by a mile

DPlus47 likes this.
  16. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Whoa! Let's pump the brakes there, chief, I can't color up my language a little bit with dumb slang.. ever? Tight ship ran around here, Arizona Dolphin Fan Man.

DPlus47 and azfinfanmang like this.
  17. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You already have Flynn though. Who you just gave a big contract too. It's not like they had Ray Lucas, AJ Feeley and John Beck on the roster. The fact of the matter is, they knew he wouldn't go before 2, so it would be idiotic to take him at 1. He might go around 2, signing Flynn lets them say eff it, if he's there at 3 or not, we'll pass on him at 2 as CK said. He's too short to go any higher. Win win for them.

18. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Then by that description I'd def call them getting Wilson a lot more lucky than they loved him.

djphinfan likes this.
  19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    See, that's what I was trying to say earlier. If Flynn decided to go to Miami we still still take Tannehill at 8. That means Miami and Seattle viewed Flynn differently.

20. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Yes, one guy is going 8th overall and the other like 12th in the 3rd iirc and you're trying to say the teams liked those players somewhat equally?

Don't think so.

GMJohnson likes this.
  21. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Posted this earlier in the other thread that really ought to be merged with this one:
    And should we add Orton to that list?

22. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Jelly?

I'm just intrigued that you use words spoken by a 5 year old and turn them into a... ?sentence?

Honest question. How many games does Flynn start for the Raiduhs? Especially with his supporting cast, this poor kid is going to be done before he has a chance....that being said, I am certainly glad we didn't trade for him.

I am personally interested in seeing how Palmer does in Arizona. I laughed my *** off when the Raiduhs gave up what they did for him...but, he actually started looking like the Palmer of old last year. It will be the icing on the cake for me if he goes to Arizona and is very very succesful. Not saying he will be, but will be entertaining if he does.....

23. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    The thing about Palmer is... he quite often gets his receivers maimed. I think Flynn in Oakland will be alright, why do you hate him so?

24. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Me? I don't hate him at all. I just don't think he is anything but a journeyman, maybe 2nd tier QB. He had? 2 good games? That many? He was surrounded by a VERY good team in Green Bay and impressed.

We will see how he does, but he doesn't have much of a chance with the lack of talent on the Raiduhs. I don't hate Flynn at all, I hate the Raiduhs... :lol:

25. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Point is things seem to be working out in our favor for once.Doesn't matter what view you see it from.
    Hope it continues throughout this year's draft and for a long,long time.

26. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    If you didnt know the compensation why did you refer to it as a
    bundle? I chuckled when I first read that, before knowing he had even been traded. I thought, only the Raiders would be silly to give up something good and then thought "I wonder what he considers a bundle"...turns out it doesnt take much to be worth 6 million and a "bundle" of picks.
    "

GMJohnson and slickj101 like this.
  27. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    You are correct, he was beat out for the job by a rookie. Of course if Tannehill was a QB on the Seahawks, he would also be playing behind that rookie. The fact is that Wilson was a better QB than Tannehill last year, just as he was a better QB than Flynn.

I wasn't a fan of signing Flynn, but all last year proved is that Wilson is a better starting QB than Flynn. Whether Flynn or Tannehill is the better QB in the NFL is still to be determined.

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's like saying you have a hard time crediting someone for buying Domino's stock three years ago because its now trading at $51 and they only paid $13 for it so they must not have liked it much.

29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    But someone could have easily taken him before they did in the third.

That's playing fast and loose with a pretty important position. They got lucky to get him.

djphinfan likes this.
  30. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Bingo.

Not like stock is a good analogy anyways for a finite thing like drafting one player.

31. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Winner winner, chicken dinner!!!

At least at this point, Wilson looks to be a better QB than Flynn. Whether or not Tannehill is better than Flynn is still far from proven.

32. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    agreed with your analysis on Flynn, not even close on Dion Jordan Az.

33. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    All these QB's were and still are garbage....Ireland played it right.
    Draft a real QB early and stay the hell away from Ryan Mallett. :lol:

34. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    I said last year before the season started that Seattle exacted Miami's perfect QB plan by signing Flynn and drafting Wilson. Clearly Miami would be better off with Wilson/Flynn than Tannehill/Moore. Especially when keeping in mind Miami could have taken Kuechly or Coples with the #8 pick in the draft.

As for Flynn, he did nothing to dispell the possibility he may be a better starting QB than Tannehill outright. He didn't lose the job in preseason, Wilson flat out won it. Besides having the best two game start in NFL history, Flynn completed 28 of 34 (82.35%) passes last preseason throwing to everyone but Terrell Owens. Flynn was 0 for 5 throwing to T.O...those incomplete passes had to do with T.O...on one pass Flynn threw a back shoulder pass that if T.O. stops Seattle has a 1st down inside of the 10 yard line. Instead T.O. was trying to make the team and be the hero so he ran a go to the end zone rather than reading than just making the smart play. On another pass Flynn hit T.O. with a perfect pass that traveled 55 yards in the air and T.O. unbelievably dropped in the end zone. A QB couldn't have made any easier for a WR to catch a pass outside of handing the ball off to him.

Anyone thinking Ireland played his cards right by drafting Tannehill at #8 when he could have signed Flynn, drafted Wilson in round 3 and had the #8 pick to draft a blue-chip talent is engaged in denial imo. Who wouldn't trade Tannehill straight up for Wilson and then throwing the #8 pick in last years draft to boot...ugh, bad call Ireland.

35. Justright

Justright Banned

Feb 23, 2013
    It's nothing like that at all. In fact, your analogy is just all wrong and doesn't make sense.

Do you also think the Pats thought highly of Brady when they waited until the 7th round to get him?

Besides, I doubt Wilson amounts to much anyhow.

36. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    No one knows what would have happened if Tannehill and Wilson were on the same team. But we all know what happened when they were on opposing teams. Sounds like you play the result, selectively.

If Ireland had signed Flynn, passed on Tannehill and drafted Wilson, IMO Wilson beats out Flynn, but with the lack of weapons we had on offense I doubt Wilson does any better than 7-8 wins, same as Tannehill. And guys like you would be killing Ireland ever signing Flynn in the first place. But, since Seattle had a better TEAM, and came within 5 seconds of the NFC championship game, all of a sudden the bass ackwards path they took to getting Wilson was somehow a stroke of genius. They get the benefit of the doubt. Even after Tarvaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst. Apparently those two debacles, along with the aborted tenure of Flynn, are the exception, and Wilson, the QB they passed on not once but twice, is the true measure of Seattle's acumen with regards to the QB position. Please do not EVER EVER EVER accuse any one of being a blind GM supporter again.

DPlus47, Justright and MrClean like this.
  37. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    WADR if you haven't caught on by now then you're just not paying attention...

Let's review. Joe Philbin, our HC was the OC in Green Bay for Flynn's entire career. Mike Sherman, our OC, was Tannehill's HC for all of his college career. If the Dolphins don't know who the better of the two are, then no one on the planet knows. When has any team ever had as much hands on experience with two potential players, especially one pro and once collegiate?

Tannehill beat out two vets, one of whom put up a winning record for the team a year earlier, played well for most of the season, earning the respect and confidence of this teammates and coaching staff. Flynn was benched within the first few weeks of camp, in favor a 3rd round rookie no less. Green Bay let him go. Miami chose to go with Tannehill. Seattle chose Wilson and didn't even want him as a backup.

How much evidence do you need?

38. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    azfinfanmang still waiting on this answer!

39. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Right here. Come holler at me when an Ireland built team hosts a winning season.