1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannehill to Wallace 6-37 when attempting passes 40+ yards

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by PhinsMondayNitro, Nov 14, 2014.

1. PhinsMondayNitro

PhinsMondayNitro Active Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Only one touchdown on a deep ball which came against the Panthers for 53 yards in 2013

2. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    And even that wasn't a very good throw....

At this point I've lost hope that it happens on a consistent basis, if and when it does happen?? It will be an accident.

3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    55 yards on the run.
    Pretty good throw to me

4. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Does it really matter.I thought winning games is the most important stat to gauge QBs.There are plenty of Super Bowl Champion QBs who could not throw long either. Its the threat of throwing long that matters and Tanny certainly has the arm for it .He will hit on a few to keep defenses honest.

5. PhinsMondayNitro

PhinsMondayNitro Active Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Ball placement wasn't very good, defender contested the catch & Wallace adjusted perfectly

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    The only thing really good about that throw is that he gave Mike a chance to make a play, It certainly wasn't a bad throw but just as much credit should GOTO the guy who had to slow down and adjust to the ball.

7. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I'll be glad when Wallace is eventually gone.. Just so this drivel about the deep ball can go away

8. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Wallace is always on the sideline with the db on his hip it seems. I would like to see more deep throws down the middle of the field. The winddow given tannehill to drop a 50 yard pass is ridiculously small if you're going to hug the sideline. Half the time the ball is caught but wallace's foot is out of bounds.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    vt_dolfan, jldolfan and Mexphin like this.
  9. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    They've been better served by reducing those attempts lately.

The problem is that Mike Wallace doesn't have a large catch radius, and he's also moving at a high speed. That makes an already low probability play even more difficult. Combine that with a QB with average deep accuracy, and it's just an inefficient play all around.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

10. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Meanwhile, Tannehill's overall accuracy on "deep"(20+ yard attempts) has been in the 32% range the last two years, nearly double what it is to Wallace.

The Dolphins really need to make the effort to find a #1 receiver this offseason.

11. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    It's honestly sad that this isn't brought up more than MWs "catch radius" And tannehills deepball accuracy is

12. Finfan91

Finfan91 New Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Indianapolis

Dez.

13. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    The problem is that when you pay 60 million $'s to a one trick pony you have to use him, so you need a new qb that makes the deep throw, because all the games that the Dolphins lost, they only happened because RT didn't connect deep with that one guy.

14. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Does anyone know what he is so far this year to all targets? All targets... not just Mike Wallace?

Well, I'm going to tell you what he is...

He's 8 for 31. 32.3%. He's 28th out of top 34 quarterbacks. His attempt deep % is 33rd out of 34. 8.8% of his passes are deep passes. You know who the only quarterback that ranks below him is?

You'll never guess....

I'm going to tell you...

We played him this year...

and he beat us on the last drive of the game...

Aaron Rodgers. I just found that interesting. You know who has the most deep attempts this year? I'm going to tell you... Nick Foles. Just interesting again.... Here we are going from a hybrid Packers offense to an Eagles offense. And both those quarterbacks are at the top and bottom of the list in total deep passes thrown (either as a % or in total).

Anyway, back to my original point. It's not like Tannehill is hitting other receivers deep not named Wallace. True, he probably isn't attempting near the same % deep to another receiver as he is to Wallace. I guess that means Wallace is the only one with deep speed on the team. You get what you get. We're just not a vertical team. Which goes back to the point that neither Wallace nor Hartline are long for this offense.

Sceeto likes this.
  15. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Common completion on 40+ yard depths are around 25% if I'm not mistaken. If they're 6 of 37 then really they're only 3 completions behind that rate. And you can easily explain that by a lack of chemistry, as well as some design problems with deep passes in 2013. Also, you can't tell me there weren't at least 3 potential deep completions that were catchable if Wallace had tracked the ball well, caught it instead of dropped it, and/or just caught the damn thing in-bounds.

MAFishFan, ASOT, ssmiami and 12 others like this.
  16. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Thanks Ck...it's nice to be in agreement with somebody on this.

vt_dolfan and resnor like this.
  17. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

We keep hearing how RT only struggles when throwing deep to Wallace and is fine with every other WR
    So, when throwing to Wallace 40+ yards he is 6 of 37. What is his completion pct when throwing 40+ yards to Hartline, Matthews. Gibson, Landry, etc? Maybe I am just forgetting, but I honestly cannot remember RT even attempting the really deep 40+ passes to anyone else. There may have been one about that deep to Hartline in the first 2-3 weeks of the season, that was either deflected by the DB or dropped, depending on who you asked. Looked like a fingertip PBU to me..

18. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    every deep route with wallace almost ends i an impossible situation. last night was a prime example. the area in which tannehill had to place that ball was near impossible. if he put the ball to the inside, wallace gets laid out, the ball is defended or picked off. tannehill put it in the only spot and wallace did get a hand on it, but like people have said his catch radius is so small, and the room tannehill has is insanely small.

19. normaldude

normaldude Active Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Fin-Omenal likes this.
  20. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I'm so tired of negative threads, specially when we just won a big game. This isn't just about this thread but I am sick of it. Who care's? We've been playing great, we could be 8-2 just like RT said in the interview after the game yesterday if 2 or 3 plays went differently. I hardly ever comment in negative threads because it just adds fuel to the fire, I rarely ever click on them, sometimes I might read a couple and shake my head. Why is it so hard for people to enjoy success?

21. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I just wanna be clear that this isn't just about this thread in case the OP gets his panties in a wad. Is it too much to ask for nothing but positive threads when we just won a game?

22. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I hope they do cause I'd hate to endure another year of your repetitive negativity.

23. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Wallace wasn't a very good deep option his final year in Pittsburgh, either. He needs an extraordinary deep passer and an offense that is willing to work around his weaknesses.

He doesn't have both of those things here, but unless he hops into a time machine he's unlikely to see it again in his career.

24. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I usually agree with you CK, but not here. I don't see how anyone can say that Ryan Tannehill is an average NFL deep ball passer. I can't remember ever seeing a 40+ yard pass RT made that wowed me. They look awful. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of Tanny's game, but his deep passes frustrate the hell out of me. The great QB's have much more success and their throws look a lot better on the eyeball test. Hopefully, working with the best passer ever (and QB, IMO) Dan Marino will help him get past this. I have no freakin clue why Ryan has so much trouble with this, and I hope he fixes it. I don't want to be searching for yet another franchise QB for the 1000th time in another year or two. And the WR aren't the problem, it's our QB.

25. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    ASOT and 77FinFan like this.
  26. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    You guys want to complain aboutdeep ball percentage when we have a qb who opened the game on the first drive going 9 of 10 for 90 yds.

WTF???

I'll take that, and its not abnormal for Tannehill this yr, without a 40 yd pass all day every day and twice on Sundays.

27. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    We're gonna need him to start hitting some (ONE?!?) of those deep balls consistently if we want to be Contenders vs Pretenders. I'm sorry, but that's the God's honest truth.

28. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    The God's honest truth? You should leave God out of this because this is your opinion and it is a false opinion. You can pretend we aren't contenders all you want because our deep ball statistics aren't where you want them to be. This is a team sport. It is a proven fact that crappy QB's have Super Bowl rings. Here's a quick search about it:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/118647-the-10-worst-quarterbacks-to-win-a-super-bowl
    These QB's had putrid career numbers,more interceptions than TD's, bad stats in the year they won the Superbowl and laughable numbers in the Super Bowl game they won, and QB ratings in the low 70's and 60's, but they won the big game because this is a team sport. It had nothing to do with their deep ball capabilities, many of these teams had great defenses like we do. Not only do we have a great defense, but our offense is above average and our QB's numbers look great and better than the elite QB's since the Raider's game. We have more than enough of what we need to be contender's, but you wanna pull a statement out of your rear end and say it's the God's honest truth? You and most of the people in this thread are worrying about something that is not even worth worrying about. Like CK, pointed out, we are just 3 deep ball pass completions away from being average. Like Puka head said, you guys wanna complain about deep ball percentage when we have a QB going 9 for 10 for 90 yards? WTF??? How about what the f***ing f***???
    And then you want to pretend we aren't contenders WTFFFFFFFFFF? Thanks for making me waste 5 minutes of my life.

ASOT and 77FinFan like this.
  29. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    So... You are OK if we are a fluke? I'm not. I want a consistent Division Contender.

30. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    How in the world did you come to that conclusion based on what I said? I hate answering stupid questions. I may have provided a link with some fluke teams that won a Super Bowl, but I also clearly pointed out how much better we are than those teams. Those teams had great defenses, so do we. We also have a legitimate QB that makes their numbers look like dog ****. And our offense is much better than those teams. So again I ask you how in the world did you come to that conclusion based on what I said? To answer your stupid question, the answer is no and I also want a consistent Division Contender. The difference is I believe we are, you don't for reasons that make no sense. If you want to make sense and quit wasting my time, let me know. I would be glad to talk to you whenever that happens.

31. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    I may be many things, but stupid is certainly not one of them. Ryan Tannehill SUCKS at throwing the deep ball. This isn't an opinion. It's FACT. Anyone with two eyes and half a brain can see this...

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  32. normaldude

normaldude Active Member

Oct 13, 2009
  33. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    Why does it matter? Are we winning? This season is looking pretty good playoff wise. Last year we were one win away. What's the fluke?

34. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I never said you were stupid, I said your question was stupid. Now you are making a stupid statement by suggesting I said you were stupid. The fact is he is 3 deep ball completions from being average at at deep ball completions. The fact is he is slightly below average at that. We would all love him to be better at it but the other fact is he is not the only problematic variable in the deep ball equation therefore he can only get some of the blame for that, not all of it like you are implying. The other fact is that this has nothing to do with whether or not we are contenders.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    Fin D likes this.
  35. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    And yet Washington is top with 8.6. And we're still ahead of them. I'd also imagine, and it's hypothetical, that if rg3 plays out the way he has they'd be much more happy having RT than him. Football is a team game. If every other are of his play is good enough then this doesn't matter. The only statistic that anything is judged on is a W. Just enjoy the weekend.

bakedmatt likes this.
  36. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Season stats don't show improvement. Look at the stats for our games since the Oakland game.

37. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    The bottomline to this whole argument will not come until 6 weeks from now.Its year 3 and we have a top 5 defence,good running game so its no excuses longball or no longball he must lead us to playoffs.If he does this like I think he will all the so called trolls or negativity(myself included)will stop.

38. jldolfan

jldolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Greensboro, NC
    When is the last time you saw a receiver lay out for a catch like Clayton did in that video? I can recall at least 2 balls this year Wallace could have caught if he laid out for the catch, Wallace has no heart!!

39. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I am not a Tannehill basher in any way shape or for at this point but I can go back and find about 10 TD's that Wallace would have scored if Tannehill would have just got him the ball. Hell, there were two easy ones in the NE game that Ryan totally missed.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  40. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    We use Wallace fundamentally wrong in 2 ways.

1) This offense waits for him to be open before the ball is thrown. Mistake. You got to trust he will get open and toss it up early.
    2) Get him away from the sideline. Pittsburgh routinely kept him away from the sideline. Even the rare times he was there....he was a good 5 yards from the sideline at all times.

Backing up those 2 comments with proof:

[video=youtube;35EyPalk6Do]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35EyPalk6Do[/video]

Fin-Omenal likes this.