1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannehill Trade/Fate Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

From Mando:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article227026574.html

"Ryan Tannehill is available.

That’s the message the Miami Dolphins have given teams in recent days, as the team is taking the first of a handful of steps toward moving on from their longtime starting quarterback.

The Dolphins have engaged in trade conversations with several times about Tannehill. That news was first reported by the NFL Network, although widely expected and no surprise to readers of this space, which reported in December the team was moving on from Tannehill.

The Washington Redskins are one team the Dolphins have engaged, per one source.

Interestingly, a source tells the Miami Herald the “trade talks” are mostly the Dolphins letting teams know Tannehill is available. The trade talks are mostly the Dolphins calling and or instigating the contact. And the trade talks are mostly preliminary."

"Tannehill is believed to want to go to a team where he might have a chance to compete for a starting job. And while that can change as the market unfolds, it doesn’t help any trade talks right now.

So it’s possible the Dolphins will have to end up simply releasing Tannehill before the season.

That will save the team $18.7 million of cap space this year if they do it with a post-June 1 designation."

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  2. Dolphin Dundee

Dolphin Dundee Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Whats Tannenbum doing in that pic or is it old? I thought that guy was out of the football stuff and put in charge of the restroom facilities.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  3. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Dorfdad likes this.
  4. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Best news I heard is that Mike May be leaving us. I want him far away from any input on this team going forward.

Secondly I don’t see anyone desperate enough to trade for tannehill unlesss it’s a deep second day pick. 5-7 rounder.

Also everyone knows we’re going to release him so why give up anything? He’s not in demand AT ALL

mbsinmisc likes this.
  5. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    No one is going to commit to pay that salary before the draft for Ryan Tannehill.

Let the man go, you won't get any early compensation for him.....give him a chance to go somewhere and compete for a starting job.

MAFishFan, mbsinmisc, Fame and 2 others like this.
  6. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    We are stuck with that 19million contract, nothing we can do about it. We may have to start to face the fact that he may be our best option at QB to start next year, unfortunately.

firedan, tirty8 and Puka-head like this.
  7. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I think many recognize that he might be the best option at QB in terms of wins, unless Murray drops in our laps. But is RT the best option at QB for the franchise? Massive differences. IMO you have to move on.

8. hazed819

hazed819 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Yeah but as I understand if we cant deal him we gotta pay him regardless. If thats the case why cut him might as well get what you paid for.

9. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    That is not true at all. From what I have seen, Miami will save $13 mil in cap in 2019 alone but cutting him.

10. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    If a team like Washington or the Jags would like to get him and have him start learning the offense? Miami could wait till June 1st and then let him go (not like we need the cap space with vet players getting cut) unless a team is willing to give up a pick. That's a LOT of lost time Tanny could have used to learn the playbook and even workout with the WR corp.

Tanny plus Miami's 6th rounder for a third rounder would be great. Even a third rounder in 2020 would be fine, as having extra draft ammo in a good QB year would help if they have to move up.

In any event, no way you keep Tanny around for 2019. He would be good enough to get the team to 6-8 wins and take you out of the QB draft for 2020 -unless you are willing to trade THREE first round picks and change to move up. It looks very doubtful that Murray will be around at #13, so roll with some young QBs and maybe one of them steps up? More likely though is that Miami wins 2-4 games and has a top 3 pick.

mbsinmisc and Fin-O like this.
  11. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Here come the "Tannehill sucks but we can probably get a team to give us a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick for him" posts.

12. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Jags are signing Foles just heard this AM on NFL network. So Washington might but I wouldn't trade a nickle for him. Miami is stuck and wont keep him for the additional 13 million. Admit it was a mistake. Try to trade him but it wont happen and move on. Unless your drafting a new QB and want him to sit a year. Than talk to Ryna about a missive price cut immateriality to keep him another year.

Ryan would have zero reason to do this except to have a starting role to showcase himself for 2020.

13. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Tannehill has a cap number of $26.6 million for 2019. Cutting him with a post-June 1 designation eventually would clear his $18.75 million salary, but the Dolphins would still carry $7.861 million in dead money for 2019, along with $5.561 million in dead money for 2020. Cutting Tannehill without the post-June 1 designation would push the dead money charge to $13.422 million for 2019, but the Dolphins would still save nearly $13.2 million in cap space this year — and Tannehill would be off the books in 2020.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  14. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    Basically, if he's on the roster for 2019 then he's going to severely hamper the team in 2020. Because of the way dead money works, if he's not on the team in 2019, then we'll be in better shape financially going into 2020.

The team has already moved on from Tannehill. They're just trying to determine which method of removing the bandaid is the least painful.

15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Said I would be shocked if we could get anything..

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  16. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    This was because of the goofy deal that Mike Tannenballsonhisdoublechin and the rest gave him, but regardless, it is time. If they can't trade him, take the lumps and hope this coming season will show that the whole organization is finally taking steps in the right direction.

17. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Well it appears that the Jags are the only bidder for Foles. Which means that the market for Tannehill will be even softer. Maybe there will be a market for him during the draft if a team misses out on the QB they want. Otherwise it seems pretty clear other teams won’t give up a draft pick for him.

18. plc001

plc001 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I’m interested in this negotiation because I felt like the past few years Miami has gotten crapped on while dealing with other teams. I feel like we’ve been embarrassed multiple times at the negotiation table, Ajayi and Landry come to mind.

19. Patster1969

Patster1969 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Not Landry, as he priced himself out of Miami - not remotely worth what the Browns paid him.

mbsinmisc and texanphinatic like this.
  20. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Nah neither was that bad. Ajayi looked worse right at the start, as the Eagles won the SB, but honestly he didn't play all that big a role and he wasn't anything last year. Landry was significantly overrated and overpriced. There was a lot of hubbub about him, but as the season wore on, that died off quickly.

Our problem has been signing mediocre free agents to overly generous contracts and killing our cap room.

firedan, mbsinmisc, Pauly and 2 others like this.
  21. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    This just goes to show you how many people outside of this site think he is a franchise QB.Nobody is knocking on the door to get this guy because he is and always was just an average qb.

22. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    IMO, a healthy Tannehill is a better QB in 2019 than at least a dozen other teams have right now. But as has been said, there has to be a market, and teams have to want to make a change. I would bet that he's a sought after free agent a year from now.

Pauly, Irishman and resnor like this.
  23. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    As soon as we release him, he will be sought after. The problem is that his contract sucks away all value. It is obvious that not a single team thinks he is worth his asking price.

I certainly think that he will get offers once he is cut. At this point in his career, it really depends on what he wants to do. He could cut a team a discount and try and be "the next guy" behind Rivers, Brady, Brees, Big Ben, or he could try and start/compete to start. There may be fewer offers than usual just because teams seem to have their guy for now, and there are not a whole lot of teams looking. I feel like more or less the draft has about as much supply as there is demand for a QB.

Which leads us to door number three. If he wants to simply get paid, his best option might be to wait for an injury to occur.

mbsinmisc and Brasfin like this.
  24. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I don't buy that the contract is a problem, if a team were interested in trading for him to make him their starter. Once traded, his salary would be 18.5m. And that number as a cap hit would currently rank 21st in the league. And the only QB on a second contract below that is Andy Dalton. So RT would basically be at the very, very bottom of what teams would be paying an experienced starter.

25. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Here you go on T-Baum, seems to be doing the media rounds:

26. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    If the contract isn’t a problem then what’s the problem? Why aren’t teams in a bidding war over Tannehill?

Truth is not that many teams are willing to give up draft picks AND pay him what he is due with the current contract. I think teams are wary of his recent injury history and don’t want to risk bringing him in at that price, even if it is in the bottom half of the league.

Well just have to wait and see though, maybe Washington sends us a low round pick for him.

I guess we’ll finally see what the rest of the league thinks RT’s value is, it was a hotly debated topic on here a while back.

texanphinatic likes this.
  27. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I just see the problem as that the league is a game of musical chairs for QBs, and there aren't many seats left open at the moment. Bad timing for the Fins to try and make a trade.

28. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    It’s time for us to come up with a good plan, stick with it, and make our own luck. :-)

Irishman likes this.
  29. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Not a chance, unless you are counting guys on their rookie deals, which ... nobody is replacing one of them with Tannehill.

Seriously, aside from the Redskins, there are 0 places where THill is a clear upgrade to a developed QB. None. You could argue a couple of spots, but at best you are looking at lateral moves. Sub THill for Eli? Why? Sub THill for Winston? Bleh. Sub THill for Carr? Meh.

Even though his cap hit isn't as bad as many, the fact that it is combined with a not very good player to start with makes it unpalatable. Teams just aren't lining up to pay a mediocre QB that kind of money and give away any kind of decent draft pick.

His best chance to do something is to get cut, sign for a backup's contract and play behind someone who has an injury history.

djphinfan likes this.
  30. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Agreed.

It’s a “what have you done for me lately” league.

Past two seasons Tannehill missed 21 games and in the 11 games he did play he went 5-6 with a 64.2% comp, 7.2 Ypa, 92.7 Qb rating.

Most teams are going to look at that, then look at his contract and say “no thanks, I’ll stick with what I have or take a gamble in the draft.”

Pauly and texanphinatic like this.
  31. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Patience. Miami does not need the cap space just yet, given all the other vets being cut. The handful of teams that would have interest in Tanny might hope Miami cuts him right away, but they can easily hold him till June if need be and then cut him.

All that time is lost for a new team to get him up to speed, plus they can't count on him actually signing with them or at what cost. Making a trade for a 2020 third rounder (valued as a fourth rounder this year) and you get your QB issue settled early and with plenty of time for the offense to gel.

Tanny could help things along by agreeing to restructure his contract, like taking a $10 million signing bonus and minimal salary. He won't be losing any money compared to being cut, so he might go for it if it gets him to his preferred new team.

I'll say again, Miami just needs to be patient. We don't need the pick to be from this year (it would be nice, but I'd wait a year to get a third rounder versus a fifth this year) and we have the cap space to carry Tanny until June.

firedan and mbsinmisc like this.
  32. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

texanphinatic likes this.
  33. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

34. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yeah the fact that Joe Flacco and Case Keenum had a market whereas THill does not I think is an indictment.

I just really hope we don't decide to hold onto him - it's a cord that needs to be severed.

He will get a contract if he wants one, but it probably won't be as a starter or for starter money.

mooseguts likes this.
  35. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Very predictable

Bumrush likes this.
  36. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Dolphins fans "I think we can still package him and a 6th for a 3rd rounder." Lol

Fin-O and mooseguts like this.
  37. mooseguts

mooseguts Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2018
    The NFL is letting us all know that Joe Flacco and Case Keenum have more trade value than Tannehill and we still think we might get a 3rd? We'd be lucky to have someone swap 7th rounders with us.

Big Phin and texanphinatic like this.
  38. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    Which NFL team out there is so desperate at the QB position they be willing to pay his salary and give us a third round too?
    I do not see any team that would, I don't think the Dolphins will get any offers at all as they all know he will be released from the team and then can get him at a significant pay cut.

resnor likes this.
  39. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, I don't see this as any sort of referendum on Tannehill. It's simply bad business to give up anything for a player that will be cut, regardless of whether or not the player should or shouldn't be cut.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  40. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    At this point Miami would have to wait until a big injury.

resnor likes this.