1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannehill's age

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Unlucky 13, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Sorry if this has been covered before, but does anyone know why Tannehill is as old as he is, based upon when he started college? Based upon his birth date, he was 19 before he started school as a true freshman at Texas A&M. Thats obviously a year older than almost everyone. He's noted as being intelligent by many people, but was he held back a year in school? Did he have something odd in his home life that forced him to miss school or start late?

Just something that seemed very odd to me, since he's so much older than most second year players. He's a full three years older than he would have been had he been able to declare after his true junior season, had he started school at 18 like most.

2. 407PhinFan

407PhinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Pretty simple. When you're born at the end of July if the class most people your age are in is full, they move you into the next class. I was almost moved into class of '10 even though I was born on July 7th, but I remained in class of '9. That way instead of being one of the youngest you're the oldest kid in your grade other than those that were held back. Also he had JUST turned 19.

SICK likes this.
  3. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    My son was born in November 96. When he graduates HS he'll be 18. Before he's done with his freshman year in college, he'll be 19. Never held back a year, just the way it worked out.

4. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Well, yeah November is almost always after the cutoff of course. But Ive never seen July being like that. My birthday is at the end of Sep. I wasnt 18 until Id been in college for a month. By comparrison, Ryan is more than 14 months older than I was at the same place in life.

If thats all it is - some weird school district thing, then so be it. I was just wondering.

5. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The majority of my high school friends were like that. They were all 19 or a month or two away from it when we graduated, whereas I was still 17 halfway thru my first semester of college.

I'm not sure why they did it back then, but nowdays they call it 'redshirting'. Many parents prefer their kids be among the oldest in class rather than the youngest. 60 Minutes did a piece on it recently.

Paul 13 likes this.
  6. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    parents should plan to have their kids at the right time of year to avoid this problem :couch:

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    There's a movement currently, to do just that. Its called, "If The Right Time Isn't 9 Months From Now, Mom Should Swallow".

It was formed by 342 fathers.

Paul 13 likes this.
  8. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    hmmm... Return of the Swallows.

http://www.sanjuancapistrano.net/swallows/

Fin D likes this.
  9. CantinaJack

CantinaJack New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Washington DC
    You mean people plan to have those things ON PURPOSE!?!?!?!

10. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    Was it a football decision. I know he is from Texas and they will do things like that, hold kids back a year, especially if there is another kid blocking them from a position they play.

11. CantinaJack

CantinaJack New Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Washington DC
    Great point, you usually know at a very early age if a kid is interested in sports. I know because my son has hated them since the day he was born lol. But ya, if I knew he wanted to be a baller and he was born on the cusp, you bet your butt I'd hold him back a year. But i'd do it at a very early age so he wouldnt really notice.