1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannehill's Contract - Offset Language Snag

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Jul 20, 2012.

1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7417/ryan-tannehill

This could get interesting. While we want offset language to protect ourselves the fact that both Luck and RG3's contracts didn't have offset language makes it harder to negotiate. Hopefully, he isn't that last first round pick to sign...

2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    English please

sws84 likes this.
  3. bberg

bberg Squid

Jul 6, 2012
    North East
    Yea, I was really surprised to see RG3 have no offset.... Luck.. eh saw that.

Ryan on the otherhand? IMO, Ryan hasn't proved himself worthy of NO Offset...

BlameItOnTheHenne... as far as I know. OFFSET language is something like... Ryan get a 4 yr deal with offset at 99million/yr(he's worth so much more... :knucks: ). That means if we cut him year 3 and some team picks him up for 90million/yr... than we owe him 9million due to offset? Something like that! Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a72b56/article/whats-the-holdup-for-top-picks-getting-signed-offset-language

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  5. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    The fact that Kuechly, the 9th pick in the draft, signed a deal without an offset clause will hurt the Dolphins bargaining position more than Luck or Griffin. But I don't see why this has become such an issue. There are only 2 advantegous I can see for a player not to have an offset clause and neither makes sense.

1) A team is less likely to cut a player if they won't save any money. But the players contract is guarunteed so if your a bust would you rather sit on the bench and get paid or sit at home and get paid.
    2) If a player is cut there is a possiblity of getting more money (old contract + new contract). Ironic that a player would earn more if they fail than succeed.

From a teams standpoint its not really a big deal either as its doubtfull that a player you cut after 2 or 3 years is going to sign a big contract somewhere else. So we are probably talking less than $2 million on the backend of a 4-year deal.

I think both sides found that with the new system there is enough to haggle over so they are making a mountain of a mole hill.

6. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Should be a great storylne for Hard Knocks!! :pity:

Firesole likes this.
  7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Judgment withheld until they actually get into a holdout. They have about a week remaining.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Don't see any leverage for a player coming into camp third string.

9. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    The difference being that all the other players mentioned are expected to be productive contributors this year while this regime has indicated that Tanny will be brought around slowly thus a less sense of urgency to sign him.

In other words Tanny doesnt have much of a position to bargain from.

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I disagree.

11. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    Tannehill should have enough confidence in his abilities that this never becomes an issue.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  12. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I don't see the point in being this rigid with your presumptive quarterback of the future. Is he really that gun shy from Henne or is he that disappointed in Tannehill based on practice to really be thinking about the possibility of cutting him? Or maybe they really care about the money that much.

bigbry likes this.
  13. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    maybe they are just trying to establish a precedent for future #1 picks. Seems like it's only a real concern if you backload the contract and cut the guy and stuck paying a larger than usual sum of money.
    If you structure it correctly (if you have the cap room) doesn't seem like it should be an issue.

14. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Who else is unsigned? Just off the top of my head, I think Olivier Veron and Michael Egnew might not be signed yet either.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Two years ago Ryan Tannehill would have made $40 million on a 5 year contract with $23 million guaranteed. Now with the new CBA in place he's forced to accept 4 years at $12.6 million, and now the Dolphins want to break with league trends and not even fully guarantee that $12.6 million.

Yeah. Sure. This is about Tannehill's confidence in his own abilities. Right.

HULKFish likes this.
  16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Is that what this really means?

17. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Seems like from the quote that this is Dawn Capote (our capoligist?) making this insistence.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Not sure what you're asking.

19. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    He's saying Tannehill isn't getting or settling for less money because of a lack of confidence.

I mean he'll only make $3 mil a year in his early 20s. Pooooor bastard.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    We're the Colts and Skins being nice to RG and Luck by not putting in the language, I mean how can one team pay their picks one way and other teams do it the other. Are we talking about ethics here or enforcing rules?

21. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Neither. It's the preference of the team to try to negotiate for that option. It's added security for the franchise so it's the smart move, imo.

22. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    It is. But of course this has to be Ireland pissing his pants again lol

23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The Colts and Skins gave RG3 and Luck the fully guaranteed contracts because of:

A) Precedent,
    B) Leverage,
    C) It being a very MINOR issue from the team's standpoint to risk a holdout over,
    D) It simultaneously being a lot bigger deal from the prospect's standpoint.

It's ridiculous. The new CBA has made striking deals with your draft picks into childs play, but there is no bound to the NFL's willingness to squeeze every cent out of the players they can.

We're not even talking about $3 million. If the Dolphins are cutting Ryan Tannehill in 2015 because as a quarterback he's not even worth $3 million, then what exactly are the Dolphins going to save when he signs with another team? How much money is Ryan Tannehill going to get from another team when the team that drafted him and thought he was the future of the franchise decides that he's not even worth as much money as a relatively cheap backup quarterback?

Whoever signs him would sign him at the veteran minimum. And you know what Ryan Tannehill will say to a proposal by a team that he make the veteran's minimum? He would say "YES SIR!!!" to it. For Ryan Tannehill, a veteran minimum offer (probably about $500k) is the same as a $3 million offer. Either way, he's making $3 million. So, unless he thinks the team he signs with is going to part with MORE than $3 million to sign him (highly doubtful), then he'll only demand the vet's minimum as a token of good will to his new team.

And in that case Miami will have saved $500k. WOWZERS! WHAT A DEAL!!!

eltos_lightfoot and djphinfan like this.
  24. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    two years ago ryan tannehill was not close to beeing the 8th overall pick, i think it doesnt matter how much money was made 2 years ago, the rookie cap is here now

azfinfanmang likes this.
  25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Do you mean because he was still a wide receiver at that time, or do you mean the same Ryan Tannehill that we just drafted with 20 or whatever QB starts wasn't worth a #8 overall pick in 2010?

If the latter, I disagree pretty heavily.

26. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    When I heard this, my first thoughts were, "Uh oh. Jeff Ireland is trying to mitigate risk again."

With a rookie slotting system in place, there's no reason to do this unless you're nervous.

27. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Ireland claims that Tannehill will be as good as RG3 and Luck going forward. If he really believes this, he should be willing to give Tannehill a contract with the same terms which these two QB's recently agreed to. The fact the Dolphins are taking a hard line with Tannehill appears to lead to the conclusion that they are not as sure about him as their future QB as the Colts and Redskins are about Luck and RG3.

Of course Ireland was also telling us all a few years ago that Henne was going to be a future star QB for the Dolphins. Tannehill should never have been a first round pick in the first place but since Ireland was foolish enough to draft him with the eight pick in the draft, I certainly don't blame Tannehill for expecting to be treated like the other top two QB's in the 2012 draft.

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    My honest opinion is it has nothing to do with that. We're talking about the Dolphins saving maybe $500k on their 2015 salary cap by inserting this offset language. As I said, fast forward to 2015, the Dolphins are cutting Ryan Tannehill because they think he's not even worth a measly $3 million...what team is going to sign Tannehill to a contract that will pay him $3 million in 2015? That would be what has to happen in order for the Dolphins to even save that full $3 million.

Otherwise, if a team doesn't value him at a price tag over $3 million, then from Ryan Tannehill's perspective, he might as well sign with the new team for the veteran's minimum. It's all the same to him, he gets $3 million regardless. That's what will happen. The new team will sign him for the veteran's minimum ($500k) and then the Dolphins will get to save that amount of money off what they still owe Ryan.

It's so minimal, that in my opinion this has nothing to do with mitigating risk or getting nervous, etc. This is a statement. It's purely for show. I thought PFT's theory might actually be a good one. The NFL head office wants teams to insert this offset language and none of the teams are complying. Dawn Aponte just worked for that NFL head office and so she might be trying to do them a favor, with Jeff Ireland's permission.

29. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    who cares...

GMJohnson and slickj101 like this.
  30. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    because he was still a WR

31. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    When does camp start again?

32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Mark Barron at #7 just signed a fully guaranteed deal with no offset language.

33. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    It doesn't matter what it was like years ago. They're working off of last years numbers.

34. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    So it looks like we are going to have to budge and give Tannehill a deal with no offset language. Only problem is Ireland doesn't seem like a man who budges lol. Hopefully Ross or Philban can convince Ireland to get the deal done before camp.

In the future, do you see all first rounders getting deals without offset language?

35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes I see all first rounders eventually winning this one. The bottom line is the league is trying to force an issue where they have no leverage. As I've said, the way the mechanics of this offset language end up working, the player has way more incentive to hold strong on the issue than the team. In Miami's case, Ryan Tannehill could be looking at up to $3 or $4 million extra if he stands firm and doesn't accept offset language, in the event that Miami cuts him before the 4th year. Miami on the other hand only looks at saving around the veteran's minimum if they cut him before the 4th year. That potential $500k or so means a lot less to them than the potential $3 or $4 million means to him. There's a reason most of these teams are fully guaranteeing the contracts without putting in the offset language. People look at it as the teams caving but the bottom line is the offset language is a new device that the league head office thought of as a means to keep rookie compensation even lower than it is, and they've been pushing this on the teams, at least from what I hear. It's not the teams that are caving, it's the players that are refusing to cave on the league's demands that they do something that hasn't been done much (if at all) before and doesn't seem tenable from a leverage standpoint.

PhinsRDbest and UCF FINatic like this.
  36. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Incidentally has anyone else's browser started acting weird with ThePhins? Font is all different, no cursor, can't hit the enter button to create new spaces, very annoying.

37. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    One week.

38. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    No. All good here.

39. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    sigh I normally don't post about players trying to get there money and teams trying to work there cap but this dude better be signed by the start of training camp or this is a massive failure. The new cba made it so easy to sign rookies now I don't get the point if everyone is on a pay scale and you drafted this guy to be you franchise qb. Yet somehow now your scared of guaranteeing 3 mil late in the contract.

40. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    I'm glad I don't have to give a crap. Wake me up in 1 week.