1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taylor wants out of Miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by FinsPensFan, Apr 19, 2008.

Tags:
  1. FinsPensFan

FinsPensFan Professional Slacker

Dec 21, 2007
    Wheeling, WV
    From today's PFT: http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

REPORT: TAYLOR WANTS OUT OF MIAMI

Posted by Mike Florio on April 19, 2008, 6:42 a.m.
    Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, citing multiple unnamed sources, reports that Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor has told the team that he would like to be traded.

The request has been made, as Cole characterizes it, “politely” — without any threats or demands. And Cole believes that, if the Dolphins don’t trade Taylor, Taylor might indeed retire.

The rumor mill has linked Taylor to the Jaguars. Cole throws out possibilities like the Browns, Packers, Eagles, Patriots, Cowboys, and Steelers. (The Vikings are another team with an obvious need, if they can’t get Jared Allen from the Chiefs.)

We also think that Taylor will prefer to play for a team located in a big market (like the Giants, Jets, or Redskins) or that carries a high national profile (like the Patriots or Cowboys).

The Dolphins denied comment for Cole’s story. Previously, the team refuted a report from Cole that a trade would occur, with V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells calling the item “journalistic irresponsibility.”

But we’re siding with Cole on this report, and his prior one. We’ve heard some of the same rumblings, and believe that Taylor is committed to trying to get to a new team without being viewed as a villain in Miami.

After all, if/when he becomes a movie star, he’ll want Dolphins fans to buy tickets. That’s far more likely to happen if the perception is that he didn’t try to abandon the team when it arguably needed his skills the most.

Even if, you know, he is.

2. Marino1983

Marino1983 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    This is old news that could or could not be true..

Personally I believe that JT does want out but not like C Johnson in Cincinnati.
    JT wants a ring and he knows that his time as a productive DE is very limited.

And yes I think the Tuna does want to trade JT but for the value HE believes that Taylor is.

So to put these rumors in percpective, J Taylor in all probability will be lining up in a Dolphins uniform for his 12th season....

Marino1983

3. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I didn't believe it before. However, I wouldn't be suprised if the glitz and glamour has gotten to him a little more over the last month or so.

4. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I believe he will be retiring after this season, after seeing him on Leno last night there isn't a doubt in my mind he likes the Hollywood lifestyle and wants to get into the business.

5. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    If he doesn't want to be here, trade him while we can still get something for him. It's not as if he'll still be here when we're ready to make a SB run anyway.

6. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Quite frankly I'm sick of the retirement talk every offseason. JT is a great player, but a leader he ain't. His loss won't be felt as much as Zach's will. I think we should trade him to the highest bidder ASAP, we could use another draft pick to help rebuild this team.

FinsPensFan likes this.
  7. FinsPensFan

FinsPensFan Professional Slacker

Dec 21, 2007
    Wheeling, WV
    I couldn't agree with you more if I tried.

like2god likes this.
  8. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Serious question How much of this, if any of it, is really new? I think we've all heard or thought of all this before?

9. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I don't think there is any new revelation here, it's just another account of JT's desire to go elsewhere. But this type of thing pops up every year, it won't go away until he finally quits football and attempts a movie career......which I find silly. JMO though

10. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You never know, his years are almost up anyway. And JT looks as if he's real smart with his money and business, why not. It's not just movies but just entertainment he'll probably go into. Hey Dan's a terrible actor but he seems to do ok with commercials and such :D

But yeah, he wants that money without getting beat up every day. The writing was on the wall when they shipped off Zach, they were brother in laws but mroe than that, they were also brothers in life and on the team. That, plus DWTS, plus 1-15, writing is on the wall for one of my favorite players, but I won't cry over spilled milk, it is time for the new generation of Fins to cheer for. The old regime is gone.

11. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    I agree. I'd take Cincy problem for ours at this point. Bring on Ocho Cinco for him in a head up deal!

12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    And THAT is how OJ Simpson ended up playing a few years in San Francisco, he wanted to be an actor.

JT would be better off playing a year or two in a higher profile media market, but either way, JT is looking more and more like rearview mirror Dolphins history now.

13. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Good now lets hurry up and make the trade before the draft.

14. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Which is exactly why we should trade him now, because it has been more and more noticeable every year. Not to mention that isn't the type of player that you want your young players to look up to and learn from. If JT's mind and heart are elsewhere, keep him away from our young guys.

If he wants to go do movies, more power to him. I just hope he realizes that his football popularity won't necessarily translate into "big movie star". Shaquille Oneal ring a bell with anyone? JT might just find himself as the star of the next "Kazaam".

[​IMG]

15. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I was going to give you a "thanks", but you jumped off the deep end with the call for Ocho. :pity::lol:

That guy is a bigger cancer than JT, who is more of a disappointment and minor annoyance. Chad Johnson has proven time and time again that he is nothing but a selfish person who puts himself before everyone else. I want no part of him.

16. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

I'm sorry, mate, but I think you're being a wee bit unfair with JT right now. Here's a guy who hasn't missed a game in eight years, who gave it everything he had on every single down and who never once created a headache in the locker room. In fact, there's not a single team mate or ex coach who ever spoke ill about Jason Taylor to my knowledge. He's not only a face of your franchise guy, he's the face of your franchise guy. He wasn't happy last offseason either and look how guys like Roth or Moses talk about him. They revere him.

Do I blame him for his desire to finish his career with a ring? Absolutely not. He has more than earned it. And it isn't like he's expressing his feelings publicly like Johnson or Owens: He's going about it as respectfully as possible. I'd trade him either simply because he has earned a shot at a ring and given so much to this franchise that it would be genuinly wrong to deny him the chance but I wouldn't for a second assume that he wouldn't give it everything he has if he was to return. Nothing in his career suggests that he wouldn't play with all his heart and desire. In fact, he could force a trade no problem. But he doesn't. Apparently, he's rather going to retire than collect his paycheck (and a large paycheck it is). That's a touch of class.

17. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    maybe we can have 5 more threads on this same article by Jason Cole. Next weekend can't get here soon enough, so I can quit reading these types of threads.

18. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I dont want to say it... but its true. If these reports are true that he doesnt want to be here, then fine. Lets cut our ties, move him somewhere and try and get a 2nd rounder, and a 4th, or 5th and be done with this soap opera...

19. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I think there is about a 75% chance JT gets traded on draft day, it all depends on how things fall out. Who will we take first overall? If its Chris Long JT becomes more expendable. Will a team like the Vikings be able to snag Derrick Harvey or will he be gone by that point? Or will they feel forced into taking a guy like Brohm that early? If so, could perhaps grab a 2 and 4-5 or something like that for him.
    There will be plenty of takers for JTs services, the only question is how much they are willing to part with. Yes JT is getting older, but when he wants he can still bring the rush and WILL be a valuable asset to many teams. I think at minimum we have to look at a 2 and a mid/late pick, but its possible to get more, like a 2 this year and next, or a 2 and 3. Even a conditional would work. A 2 this year, and a 2 the next if his new team makes the championship game or something. A 3-4 if they dont.

Frankly, he actually DOES still have value here. Hes a leader, a smart veteran who teammates can study, look to, emulate and learn from. Whats worth taking that away to Jeff and BP? We will find out soon :)

20. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    If we're intending on taking Chris Long or Gholston then we need to make the deal before our 1st pick. If JT is still on the team after we draft one of the two, then we've screwed ourselves out of a lot of the value he would have for a trade because teams know we have more depth and hes becoming increasingly expendable.

padre31 likes this.
  21. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    This isn't something that just popped in my head within the last week or so, I have been slowly coming to this realization over the past couple of years. JT is a leader when the team revolves around him, he isn't the type of leader that Zach was. My feeling is, if his head isn't in the game and he's thinking about his post football career, I don't want our youngsters to get the same ideas.

I want players who are committed to football 110% everyday of their lives, guys who can't wait to get out on the field and bust some guy in the mouth. Zach Thomas is that type of player, a hard worker that will bust his butt on every play and run through a wall to make a play regardless of size or injury. That's the type of player that I want our young kids to look up to and learn from, not someone that has one eye on the field and one eye on the exit.

I don't blame him either for wanting a ring, but I do blame him for hinting at retirement every single offseason for the past few years.

As far as forcing a trade, he doesn't want to hurt his image in Miami, look how quickly some people turned on Zach because he was talking with the Pats. I understand him wanting to keep a low profile about a possible trade, and I also understand his desire to go to a winning team at this point in his career, that isn't the problem. Like I said before, we've heard for a few years now that he's thinking of retiring to go start an acting career, that doesn't send the right signal to his teammates or the people that support the team IMO.

You either want to play or you don't, don't jerk us around every year playing the "I'm thinking of retiring" game.

At this point and time I think he is more valuable as a trade asset than a Miami Dolphin. By the time this team is ready to make the playoffs (2-3 years), he will either be a shell of his former self or out of the league entirely. I think we should take advantage of his trade value while we can to gain a young player with future potential, instead of just letting him fade away on a bad team or retire altogether.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  22. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I agree with that somewhat. I think you could keep some of that trade value by making it seem as though there are alot of teams that are interested and playing one against the other, which there may be.

23. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

The more I hear this kind of talk, the less I'm inclined to require we get for him, he's down to a 3rd round pick now in my book. Of course I hope we get more, but I'd take any reasonable DP for him at this stage.