1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDF's UFC 104 predictions

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by TrueDolFan, Oct 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TrueDolFan

TrueDolFan Minion of Satan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    O.K. Not the best card in the history of the UFC, but at least there's a belt on the line, right? Here's my thoughts on the main card.

Lyoto Machida Vs. Mauricio Rua:

I can see no other outcome than a Machida victory here. Rua is going to get systematically dismantled by Machida's superior striking.

Machida 3rd round TKO

Cain Velasquez vs. Ben Rothwell:

I can't stand Velasquez and his racist "Brown Pride" tattoo. He's an over-hyped wrestler, IMO. Rothwell is the more well-rounded fighter here, not to mention that he's the much bigger man. I think the Velasquez hype-train stops here. Rothwell will expose his mediocre striking and jiu-jitsu with his superior technique.

Rothwell by UD.

Gleison Tibau vs. Josh Neer:

This fight is going to be interesting. Both guys are the kind of fighter who has some decent wins, but seem to always come up short against quality opponents. Tibau is a jiu-jitsu ace that can hold his own on the feet, Neer is a brawler who can hold his own on the ground. In the end, I think Neer's heart and toughness will be the deciding factor in this fight.

Neer by UD.

Joe Stevenson vs. Spencer Fisher:

This one could be fight of the night. Sure, Stevenson has lost 3 of his last 5 fights, but those were to top-of-the-heap guys. Fisher has racked up 3 straight, his last win was against tough veteran Caol Uno. I see this fight being dictated by the pace of Joe Daddy. I don't think Fisher will be able to stop being taken down and controlled on the ground by the younger, stronger Stevenson.

Stevenson by UD.

Anthony Johnson vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida:

Everybody seems to love Johnson, but I'm not that impressed with him quite yet. He hasn't beaten anybody, and to me, he's still the guy who got choked out by Rich "No Love" Clamenti (who is a bum, IMO). I gotta be honest, I have only seen 3 of Yoshida's fights, but I think he's better than the highlight-reel KO loss to Koscheck that everybody knows him for. I think Yoshida will weather the early storm, and "shock the world" in this one.

Yoshida by 2nd round sub.

2. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Johnson's problem is inexperience IMO. He still gets hit too much.

But he is still young. He's a big 170 (walks around near 200 pounds). And he's already put together some highlight reel KO's for himself.

3. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Joe Stevenson comes around for his regular scheduled beat down.

he is becoming the brooklyn brawler of the UFC.

4. TrueDolFan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    What are you talking about? Since he's been in the UFC, he has only ever been finished by Penn and Florian.

His last 3 losses were to BJ Penn (the #1 guy in the weight class, and the best 155 pounder of all time) Kenny Florian (the #2 guy in the weight class) and Diego Sanchez (a monster 155er who is no slouch, himself). Those are, by no means, shameful defeats.

Joe Daddy is a good fighter. He's just not ever going to beat guys like Penn and Florian.

5. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    he takes unholly beatings in every fight.

6. TrueDolFan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    :lol:

I don't know about EVERY fight, but he certainly does absorb his fair share of punishment.

7. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The Sanchez fight was boring. Nobody really got hurt.

I like Joe Daddy. Good guy. Really looking forward to Diego and B.J.

8. narciso88

narciso88 New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I saw the lack of experience coming from Johnson

9. TrueDolFan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    Me, too. Diego is going to get the beating of his life. I can't wait to see BJ destroy him!

10. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    I got the flu. Can't go out and watch it ((
    Anybody got links for tonight?

11. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    that dudes been fighting since 16. imagine being a high school wrestler, and going against some lunatic who is a pro-fight veteran by his senior year.

12. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Holy ****!!!! Shogun just absolutely got robbed!

13. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Rua won.
    This is ****ing sad.
    I really think this **** was rigged.

14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Wooooow That was the worst decision I've ever seen.

Look at Machida's face when they announce it. He was shocked he won.

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Silva could destroy both of these guys anyways.

16. Firesole

Mar 24, 2008
    OMG that was absolute bull****. I may seriously stop watching this **** now. How in the world could he have won, let alone win by UNANIMOUS decision? If I'm Shogun I night kills someone tonight.

17. Firesole

Mar 24, 2008
    not with judges like that

18. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I don't think Silva would need any judges.

19. Firesole

Mar 24, 2008
    lol even ESPN thought that Shogun should have won. They just changed their link to Sherdog's results site. It originally said "Rua decisions Machida" and now it says the opposite. HAHAHA **** you UFC.

20. TrueDolFan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    I disagree. I think Machida won rounds 1, 2, and 4. I think that the commentary was very slanted toward Shogun, and that gave people the idea that Shogun was doing better than he actually was. Every time Shogun so much as grazed Machida, Rogan would jump out of his seat.

I would not have been upset if they gave the decision to Rua, though. It was a very close fight.

Neither guy did a whole hell of a lot, it kinda reminded me of a Sylvia vs. Arlovski fight.

phinnhedd likes this.
  21. Firesole

Mar 24, 2008
    I swear i don't know what some of you guys are watching when you watch these things. Shogun DOMINATED that fight. The reason Rogan kept saying "Shogun" is because Shogun kept attacking and controlled the whole pace of the fight. Even if you could somehow think that it was a close fight, there is no way in the world you could call it a unanimous victory for Machida. That's why the look on his face explained it all when the decision was announced.

22. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    The only shots Machida landed in 1 and 2 were a big knee in each.

Otherwise, it was all Rua.

If it was a split decision, ok. But unanimous? Gtfo

Firesole likes this.
  23. TrueDolFan

Jun 17, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN

I just call it like I see it. I didn't get sucked in by Rogan and Goldie's commentary, and I sure as hell didn't see anybody "DOMINATE" the fight.

24. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I wouldn't say dominate. But Rua def did more to win.

Machida just looked like he was standing around waiting for the bell in the last 3 mins.

25. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Man, the UFC is taking some serious losses this last month.

Better fix it Dana!

26. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I had it 4-1 Shogun.

I don't know what fight the judges were watching. But it's like I always say, these are boxing judges and they don't know what the **** they're looking at. It's not the UFC's fault. They have no control over the referees or the judges.

The reason Machida was 'standing around' was because Shogun was drilling him with kicks. He had no explosion left in those legs. And I'll bet Machida's rib is broken. He took some hellacious shots to the body.

Even Machida knows he didn't win that fight.

Section126 and Firesole like this.
  27. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I can't wait till a gif of Machida's face after the decision hits the net. lol

28. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL

I was saying the same thing during the fight, seemed like Joe Rogan was on Shogun's balls all night although he didn't do much of anything. He was sounding ecstatic on blocked leg kicks.

Totally agree with the outcome, neither fighter showed much, Machida was relying on counter strikes, while Shogun's gameplan was to go after the legs. I think Machida being the champion had everything to do with the decision. If you can't hand the champion his ***, get back in line.

29. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I hate how inconsistent the scoring is.

If that's going to be you're barometer, then Forrest should never of gotten that decision over Rampage.

They need to get something figured out with the judges and the scoring or they'll continue to have issues.

Between this ****ty fight, the horrible season of TUF, and losing Rampage, there isn't a whole lot to like about the UFC right now.

Firesole and phinnhedd like this.
  30. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Also, how about Cain Velasquez. Outstanding fight. He looked like he got better since his last fight.

Rumble Johnson destroyed his guy as expected. But 6 pounds overweight is ridiculous. He started his cut from 220 this time. He went for a 50-pound cut. :nono:

31. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Nothing I can disagree with there. Being pretty much the only show in town as far as MMA, they need to step up on the judging IMO, tonight I think they got it right. If you go 5 rounds without doing any significant damage (visibly), or submit your opponent, the outcome should go with the reigning champ. But that I'm sure could be a discussion in itself.

Fact of the matter is, Machida is a defensive fighter, and Shogun was on the attack. If your barometer is who is the most aggressive then Shogun clearly won, but IMO it's not based on that due to different disciplines of Martial Arts. Not disappointed in the outcome, just disappointed with the lackluster showing. Glad I wasn't ringside.

32. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    All I can say is Thank God it's football season.

33. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    If a fight's even, sure. But that fight wasn't even.

I don't feel like you should be required to dominate the champion to get the decision. Shogun dictated far more often than Machida, landed more strikes, did a great job of countering and was than better than the champion at his own game.

Machida knows he didn't win. He all but admitted it after the fight. I was rooting for him, but Shogun got robbed. He clearly beat Machida.

I thought it was a very good, tactical fight overall.

Firesole likes this.
  34. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    I never said dominate, but "handing the champion his ***" is open to interpretation.

And to say Machida knows he didn't win is purely speculation.

Tactical in this usage to me means boring.

35. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Just to add to your post, I was looking in as a neutral spectator.

I still don't think Shogun did enough to earn a victory, it was a flawed gameplan to begin with. Usually if you're going to chop someone down with leg kicks, the outcome of the fight that I've seen is that one was taken to his knees as a result of the leg kicks.

Machida never hit the mat but on the flip side neither did Shogun. If I'm going into a fight with a gameplan of chopping someone down, I'd expect them to go down. Didn't happen.

Everytime I saw Shogun try a flurry, Machida answered with his own flurry. I thought Machida had some square hits to Shogun's melon. I never heard one mention of that during the telecast from any of the announcers and that was rather disappointing. Seemed to me that they were rooting for Shogun and that to me is disgusting to listen to. I thought announcers were supposed to be neutral in fighting. That wasn't the case tonight.

36. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    He apologized to the crowd when Rogan asked about the decision. Joe asked if he thought he won the fight and he didn't say anything remotely close to 'yes'. Just that three judges scored the fight, and "sorry".

For what it's worth, I thought Shogun easily won the 'championship rounds'.

If there isn't an immediate rematch, it's a travesty.

37. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Hopefully there is an immediate rematch. They (the UFC in general) need redemption after this disappointment.

38. Muck

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I couldn't hear the announcers during the fight, so I can't comment either way there.

But one thing to note, neither guy has ever been down. Machida is arguably the toughest guy in the sport to hit. And his takedown defense was excellent once again tonight.

With that in mind, I think Shogun's gameplan was a good one. IMO the results were visible, as Machida was clearly worn down in the later rounds. He was not sudden or explosive as a result of the kicks. He winced when hit with those kicks to the torso (I suspect Shogun snapped a rib in the first round), which forced him to switch to a conventional stance to protect that area. It 'looked' like he was bleeding internally.

Shogun was pink around his torso from some solid shots and big knees, but he was not worn down like Lyoto.

Many times we saw both fighters landing big strikes simultaneously. But Lyoto wasn't getting off 'alone' as much as Shogun. Certainly not in the later rounds.

Anyway, those are some of my reasons for giving it to Shogun. I think those two guys are the cream of the division. Anderson Silva too, if he's fighting there. I don't think there's anybody in the division that can mess with them right now.

39. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    according to sherdog posters....dana mentioned a immediate rematch in his presser. regardless shogun got screwed, landed devestating kicks, pushed the fight, had a great great gameplan.....i think he broke one of machidas ribs (he couldnt even put his shirt on after the fight)

all in all i had the fight 3-2 shogun, easily 4-1.....

there is no way, rewatching the fight that has machida even winning a split decision let alone a ****in unanimous decision........its a travesty.

40. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    The wincing I didn't notice, I'd have to watch a replay. If the champ was wounded then certainly Shogun should have capitalized (which I think he didn't.) If your enemy is hurt you should use that to your advantage.

Overall that fight was a disappointment to the UFC. It's a main event. I don't want a boring *** fight. I want vicious strikes, submission attempts (depending on the discipline), and a clear victor (+more). That just wasn't the case. The champ losing in a bout like this would be way more controversial than how it actually played out.

Clearly we see things differently as to what a fight should be. There wasn't a clean cut "hey he kicked that guys ***" type of show tonight, and the expected outcome IMO is that the champ retains his title.